“Great place for horseback riding!! Only unguided tour in the area!”

Next to Heaven Adventure
Ranked #4 of 33 things to do in Townsend
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 29 August 2017

We always visit Next to Heaven for horseback riding when we are in the Gatlinburg area. It's actually located in Townsend but the drive there is scenic and not bad at all. This is the only stable that offers unguided riding. The horses have walked on these trails long enough to know exactly where to go so don't let the "unguided" rides scare you away. There is a beautiful scenic area about 1/2 way through at the top and the horses even stop for you so have your cameras ready! It's a little expensive but well worth it. They say it's a 45 minute ride but I think it may be a bit less. The owner has been there since the early 90's & my first experience with them was around 1992. They also offer zip lining but I cannot comment on that because we have not tried their zip lines. I would definitely recommend Next to Heaven whenever you're in the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area!! The owner remembered a story about a certain horse the first time I went there. Ask him about "old blue"!

1  Thank Tracy390
in 8 reviews
"bible verses"
"well trained horses"
in 4 reviews
"would definitely go back"
in 4 reviews
"year old daughter"
in 6 reviews
"well taken care"
in 5 reviews
"staff was very friendly"
"trail"
in 13 reviews
"instructions"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed 15 August 2017

Great time. Horses knew where to go. Beautiful trails to the top of a scenic mountain for photo shoot. Kids had a blast (8 and 4 years).

Reviewed 7 August 2017

The horses were very well behaved. Each rider was matched perfectly to their horse. The view at the top of the mountain was spectacular. The horses knew to stop to let us take pictures. Fantastic!

Reviewed 14 July 2017

The owner of this place is rude, aggressively abrasive, and has no ability to handle criticism. Had she not told me she was the owner I would have assumed I was dealing with a poorly trained member of the staff.

We payed for an unguided trail ride. About half way through we ended up stuck behind a guided trail ride (led by the owner for some locals/friends) and we were told we were not allowed to pass them.

When I brought this up at the end I was told it was my fault for letting my horse go too fast. If you have ever done a trail ride you know these horses are pretty mechanical, know their jobs, and even my horse who liked to lead, wasn’t winning a race anytime soon. I couldn’t believe the owner would accuse me and in such a negative and confrontational tone. I never expect the customer to always be right, or to even be kowtowed too, but I do expect an empathetic staff who can engage with a patron without being rude. The owner failed at this.

Luckily, there are many horse back riding services in the area. I’ll take my crew back to David Crockett Stables from now on. Even though they are guided trips they know how to treat paying customer.

5  Thank Stan G
See more reviews
Reviewed 12 July 2017

I have a lot of horseback riding experience (even worked as a wrangler on a ranch) and my fiance had never touched a horse, but we both really enjoyed our experience. The horses are well looked after and are very pleasant. The facilities are simple but effective, and the trail is well marked. The horses obviously know the path, and probably appreciate the rider letting them navigate it without being "managed", but it's a steep enough journey (both up and down) to be of interest to everyone. We arrived first thing in the morning and had the path to ourselves. The viewpoint at the top was gorgeous but the entire experience was fantastic. We also got a perfect recommendation for a local breakfast spot that we went every morning after that. Thanks to everyone for an amazing memory!