All reviewsthe main housefontanel mansioncarriage housesouthern livinggoo goo clustersbarbara mandrellcafe fontanellamade to order breakfastlog homeguest housethe cottagesbubble bathevening appetizersbed and breakfastboutique hotelbreakfast was deliciousturn down service
Reviewed 12 March 2018

I have waited to write this review because I don't ever write negative reviews and it just took me a while to decide if I wanted to write this or not. But reading so many positive ones, I just have to say I am confounded and can only say I have to say 'my piece'. If it was just one thing that was 'off' I'd have forgotten it by now. But here it is: I had laid the groundwork by telling them that I 'd be traveling with a special needs child and the best way they could welcome us would be to be ready for us and to whisk us to our room asap for him to decompress and then we could emerge a little later and enjoy their 'cocktail hour' and go to dinner at the restaurant that's on the property. They seemed to understand but when we pulled up to the gate it was locked and although we buzzed and even called we could not raise anyone for a good 15 minutes. A horrible way to start our stay. We were eventually taken to a tiny cottage which we did not want and they did move us. But again no way to start. Later we came down for the 'happy hour' - only to be told they didn't serve drinks, just some subpar appetisers. We went to our room and brought down our own wine. When Asked why they didn't serve drinks at a happy hour, they just said "Oh, yes we might have to think about that." What? We were told when booking that we'd have use of a golf cart, we asked about taking that over to the restaurant and were told 'no' that wasn't available. Also told that getting a table there would be 'no problem' so they didn't need to call ahead for a table but when we arrived the place was packed to the gills. A hostess saw that we couldn't wait due to special needs and found us a table right away. This was the only bright spot to a miserable stay. Suffice to say - this was one of the strangest and worst experiences we've ever had in all our travels.Kind of felt lke the twilight zone - like nothing was what is seemed... or should have seemed.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
13  Thank gogirl51
Reviewed 22 February 2018

My sweetheart and I are currently walking across the United States and had the opportunity to stay at the Fontanel. The staff was so incredible and I was amazed at how friendly they were. They were so willing to help us out in anyway we needed. The room was very comfortable. We loved how roomy the bathroom and shower was. Super comfy bed and the breakfast was absolutely delicious. We enjoyed the tour of the mansion with Steven as our guide. It was so fun to see such a beautiful structure and especially with such an awesome and inviting tour guide. We look forward to going back there for another Fontanel experience!

Room Tip: Every room is great!
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 February 2018

My husband and I recently stayed at The Inn at Fontanel to celebrate our 30th anniversary and had a lovely time. We stayed in the carriage house, which was comfortable and cozy. And I fell in love with the shower! The room is above the fitness room, and a few young trolls and billy goats were apparently working out early one of the mornings, but since we were celebrating our anniversary we may have invited a few trolls and billy goats into our room from time to time so it all evened out.
The facility overall was beautiful and very welcoming. The staff was attentive to every need and made sure we felt at home. It had the feel of a bed and breakfast, only with more privacy and no chatty owners that felt the need to be aggressively helpful. We enjoyed our cooked to order breakfast each morning, and got a kick out of zipping around on one of the golf cart to visit the nearby restaurant, winery, distillery and gift shop. Oh, and when it rained, they have some really neat fixtures under the gutters that make little waterfalls. It was too cold to sit on the porch, but it was tempting with all the seating and cozy cushions.
It is worth noting that the Inn is situated right off a main road, so there is some traffic noise from time to time. I think it may depend on where you are staying, as well. The carriage house had one side that faced the road, so it was noticeable a few times but wouldn't keep me from going back. When we were in the main house, we didn't hear a thing. And it was nowhere as bad as being in a room in the mountains of North Carolina with logging trucks rumbling by at all hours. Trust me.
One other thing to note: I read a previous reviewer who dismissed the entire thing as a tourist trap and I think that is a bit unfair. The Inn is located near a complex that has four or five businesses that do cater to tourist, and a concert venue, but it hardly has carnival barkers or go-kart tracks by the dozens.
Overall, we had a wonderful time. We felt it was a bit pricey, but very well appointed and guests are treated like family (the ones you love being around, not the other ones.)

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nicole B
Reviewed 3 January 2018

This is a beautiful Inn, with spacious cottages and a comfortable, southern-home style look and feel. The bedrooms are like suites, with a nice size bathroom and separate changing area. Breakfast is prepared in their large open kitchen and you can sit in the adjoining dining room, which is well-lit with large windows, or as we did, we sat at the large counter and talked to the chef as he prepared our meal. The food and meal service was top notch.

We were disappointed in 3 things that should be corrected - when we asked for dinner recommendations and wanted to avoid downtown Nashville (since we had just spent the day there), the individual on duty was unfamiliar with any restaurants for dinner (we ended up using Yelp); The next day the staff on duty was - to me, surprisingly unsure - of some basic tourist questions, like, does the Grand Old Opry offer tours? Lastly and for us the most disappointing, they lost credit card information provided by a family member who wanted to cover part of the cost of our stay as a holiday gift, and the handling of that mix up was just embarrassing.

I've stayed at luxury hotels and inns before, and the accommodations here are first rate, but the small mistakes here shouldn't occur. That's why I can't give this location the 5 rating that so many others have.

Room Tip: This is a small, boutique style inn and, though we only stayed here once, my guess is all the rooms are comfortable and of equal value.
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank michaelkutner99
Reviewed 1 January 2018 via mobile

Our family loved this place. The scenery and buildings are postcard perfect. Breakfast was excellent and more than we could eat. The staff are super nice and take great care of guests. We stayed in one of the cabins. The room was private and with very comfortable beds. Our two old son love looking out the window at the ducks in the pond just outside.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family