“So much potential, so little care”
Review of Sea Tree Cottages

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Yuulong
Sea Tree Cottages
Ballarat, Australia
“So much potential, so little care”
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We have stayed at many accommodations throughout the world and know what to expect. We know what the basics are in accommodations and value for money. This place was a big disappointment. Way overpriced, run down and tired. We paid 200AUD per night and that was on special. It was supposed to be more as it was a long weekend due to a state holiday, as it was Melbourne Cup weekend. In our opinion it should have been only around 130AUD per night … if that. There are many places around the area that are cheaper. The views are lovely, not breathe taking though. The Lamas and Sheep are in paddocks nearby, not at your doorstep as inferred in a website picture. Overall this place was tidy, but not clean. As stated dated, run down, tired & overpriced.

Here are some examples we picked up. The bed cover had big stains and hair on it. We spoke to the owner Ron via the phone who told us to swap it with Cottage 2. Hopefully the bed cover was replaced the next day for the people staying in Cottage 2. The exhaust fans had dirt and dust, dirt on the pipes under the bathroom sink which was visible, tiles dirty with the grate coming off and dirt on the tile tops and in the spa. The bathroom window has a top open fly screen which allows a lot of wind and cold air in. So during winter going to the bathroom is really uncomfortable. Summer however would be good. The shower has a plastic curtain (which surprisingly was clean & not mouldy); the water would reach near the toilet. This made things uncomfortable when using the sink for shaving etc. You would be walking on water most of the time. In the shower you have to stand on a wooden shower crate, which was slippery & could be dangerous. It should be replaced with a rubber mat. There was only one small cake of soap, which was old with cracks. No shampoo or conditioner. The rear hot stove plate wasn’t working and kettle stained. A window handle was loose which came off which made it difficult to open and close, no remote for the TV or DVD player, 4 channels (although the note on the wall said we had 20 cable channels), old CRT TV and many of the DVD’s were copies which some would not work. The grass was over grown and the children’s playground equipment had mould on them. The bed had springs coming out the side.

What really says about these cottages with the examples given was the lack of attention to detail regarding professionalism and cleanliness.

One could tell that this Cottage had been looked after a few years back as there were some niceties situated around the cottage. Now, unfortunately the cottage seems to be neglected.

Basically we could have found a place much cheaper for the quality we got. For the money we paid, we expected a lot better and knowing that it was going to be a long weekend with high demand, the place should have been looked at more in detail & cleanliness. The place has so much potential, it’s a real pity it doesn’t have the love and tender care it so deserves. It has good views and good short distances to most things, like the beach and the Otway National Park.

We gave this place a 3/5, though without the views and sort of conveniences, it would have been a 2/5. If the place was in better condition, a little more up to date and a more realistic price, it would have got a 4-5/5.

Some might think we are too fussy, but for the price we paid it just missed the mark. We didn’t get the wow factor. It simply didn’t say “hey please come back”. For instance it has a sale sign at the front as the owner wants to sell it, and there is nothing wrong with that, however in our opinion it feels the absolute bare minimal (and not even that); has been done regarding the maintenance of the cottages until it sells.

There’s neither a huge amount nor a huge cost to make this place better. A lot are quite small things that would make the world of difference for such a nice place with a potentially great retreat, but that’s what makes the difference when spending more money on accommodation. Even if it wasn’t modernized, just cleaning the place, making sure things work, gardening, mould cleaned, mouldy caravans moved and rental cost reduced would do the trick.

As stated nice views and location, but the cleanliness and value for money that we spent on these days was deplorable. When we left, we drove to a few places around the area and found much cheaper, nicer and cleaner places.

Although this trip was a last minute decision, next time we will be doing our homework better.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank thesac

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
barcelona
Reviewed 29 October 2009

This is the first negative review I've written! I want to make clear I have not yet been there... however I have to make a big complaint in relations to the manners of the owner of this place. His name is Ron and its the first time in my life I find so much trouble in making a booking....and I am a well-travelled person. He asked me to make a deposit of 50% beforehand, which i can understand perfectly well. In his first email he mentioned that there were more than one option for the payment however when we were down to close the booking he kept insisting he wanted all my visa details including the security number. I told him that i would prefer to do it via bank transfer and his answer to that was in literal words: "I smell a rat. Fraud mabe? My way or no booking thanks". Now, you tell me: do I want to stay somewhere and pay him 50% booking in advanced just to be insulted! (Im travelling to Thailand in December with my husband to Australia, for the total of 5 weeks. I have made booking with 11 different people, from london, phuket, sydney, melbourne city, other areas in victoria and bangkok and i have had 0 trouble. In some cases i made even a full payment in advance through bank tranfer. Never ever a problemem! If he smells rats....I'll leave him at that!

Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank drowningophelia
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yuulong
7.1 km away
11.7 km away
Great Ocean Walk Retreat
Great Ocean Walk Retreat
#2 of 2 in Glenaire

Been to Sea Tree Cottages? Share your experiences!