“Rude staff, smells of old dirty oil, and terrible ambience”

Yarra Glen Cafe & Store
Ranked #16 of 30 Restaurants in Yarra Glen
Price range: USD 8 - USD 23
Cuisines: Australian
Reviewed 24 June 2017

Cramped, smelly, rude staff. The place is a nice building, and could be 'cosy'... but the way it's done, just makes it look unwelcoming and cramped. The staff (potential owner?) is rude, and looks at you like you're just a pain. There was loud thumping bass coming from the radio in the kitchen through to the eating area, that was extremely horrible to bear, and just completely ruined the experience. I had to ask twice for it to be turned off.. and she refused, and looked at me like I was rude. She didn't smile once, and looks like she hates the world and people. People go to places for food and atmosphere outside of their homes, for a nice ambience and experience. We can eat in a horrible cramped house with loud thumping bass at home.. we want a nice experience with friendly staff. This was a terrible experience. She even said 'good'.. when I said, I was sorry, but I couldn't stay in a place that had thumping base coming through the walls, for devonshire tea trying to have a nice outing. Hospitality is all about the experience and good food in a nice place.. this had none of that. The kitchen smelled like old bad oil, and the food looked very average. I am glad we left and went elsewhere. Not worth it.

2  Thank Zoe V

Reviewed 2 May 2017

My wife and I decided to go to the St Andrews Farm and Country Market and after a pleasant one hour drive we arrived at St Andrews at 10.30am on Saturday morning.

After spending an hour and a half looking around the market we decided to have some lunch and we noticed this charming little café that was at the rear of the post office.

We both ordered a pulled beef slider which was served on a fresh roll and was accompanied by home made coleslaw and some sour cream and it was delicious.

I had a glass of Shiraz and my wife had a glass of Sauvignon Blanc and then we finished our meal with two mugs of Late.

The service was warm and friendly and I would recommend it to anybody wanting a very tasty and filling lunch.

Reasonably priced meals and drinks as well.

Reviewed 12 April 2017

After a short stroll around Yarra Glen we chanced upon this cafe and decided to have a coffee and something to eat.
There was a great range of cakes and pastries but we decided to have lunch as the menu had a variety of meals that sounded delicious.
We were not disappointed, the meals were excellent.
Unfortunately we did not have room for cake.
The coffee was also great.

Reviewed 2 April 2017

4 of us arrived this morning for breakfast before going to the Yarra Glen Market.
We were greeted instantly upon arrival and seated to our choice of table outside in the pleasant garden.
A very prompt taking of our orders took place with the meals and drinks arriving at our table in no time, both were of excellent quality and we will most certainly be returning in the near future.
Many thanks.

Reviewed 22 March 2017 via mobile

A friend and I had sped up the highway from Melbourne and needed a break and to stretch our legs so from the various options available in Yarra Glen we called into the Cafe & Store and I am pleased we did.

A cheery smile and welcome greeted us as we ordered our coffees and they were quickly delivered, piping hot and very tasty.

Terrific coffee and water available for the taking, it was a welcome refresher on a warm early afternoon.

The food looked terrific, fresh and homemade so I will keep this little find on the list for a future visit.