Lowest prices for your stay
AU$495
Breakfast included
InterContinental
AU$495
Breakfast included
Save more with IHG One Rewards
All reviews mini bar teething issues luxurious hotel oysters ocean view room yogurt atrium pillows platter concierge grain condiments adam minibar hallway toiletries australia
Selected filters
Reviewed 28 January 2024 via mobile

We absolutely loved our 2 nights at the Intercontinental for Australia Day weekend. Seamless checkin assisted by Taylah & Angela where we used the free guest parking which was a real bonus. Fortunate to be in room 1304 with great views over the strip (it also overlooks the sunset terrace so there’s a bit of noise on Friday & Saturday nights but nothing that caused us any trouble. The appointment of the room in the heritage wing was fantastic with a bath, double sinks, very comfortable king sized bed and complimentary mini bar. We had lunch at the Conti beer garden (it’s the inside section with Promenade bookings being outside) and that was absolutely great. Service from Cecile was spot on and the calamari, St Andrew’s pizza, the salmon and Mac n cheese were all awesome. Dinner at the Atrium was also a treat again with great service, decent wines by the glass and great food. Breakfast served in the Atrium was a real treat. It’s a buffet at weekends with a very decent choice of fruits, pastries, eggs, bacon and chicken sausages (which aren’t my go to but they were delicious), fruit juices, breads, etc. Service again was excellent with a Nespresso machine or coffee orders taken by the serving staff and brought to your table. I really can’t fault the hotel facilities or the staff which made our stay very memorable and we will definitely be returning. Would highly recommend if you’re down on the peninsula.

Date of stay: January 2024
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Jason Burnett, General Manager at InterContinental Sorrento Mornington Peninsula, an IHG Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2024

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your glowing review! We're thrilled to hear that you loved your Australia Day weekend stay at Intercontinental Sorrento. It's fantastic to know that your check-in experience with Taylah & Angela was seamless and that you appreciated the complimentary guest parking.

We're delighted that you enjoyed your room with its great views and amenities in the heritage wing. It's wonderful to hear that you had delightful dining experiences at the Conti beer garden and the Atrium, and that you found the breakfast to be a real treat.

Your recommendation means a lot to us, and we can't wait to welcome you back for another memorable stay on the peninsula!

Reviewed 27 January 2024 via mobile

Was reading the reviews before hand to see what people are thinking about the Hotel and yes there are a lot of interesting reviews written by some precious people

We stayed in a two bedroom suite with the kids for three nights

Room was great and well appointed.

Swimming pool was perfect for Adults and Kids. And Heated. Great service around the Pool.

Yes breakfast was not great and needs to be improved a lot.

What surprised me the most was Hotel Guests that were complaining about the most simple things in the Hotel. Making a mountain out of a mole hill. If you don’t like it and it was not what you expected, leave, check-out, go home.

Would I come again - Yes with the family and Yes just with my wife.

Room tip: Car parking is Free Audrey’s needs to be booked in advance as they are busy

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent stay at Intercontinental Sorrento. We're pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay in the two-bedroom suite with your family and that the room was well-appointed.

It's great to know that you found the swimming pool perfect for both adults and kids, and we appreciate your positive comments about the service around the pool.

We also appreciate your feedback on the breakfast, and we will certainly take this into consideration as we strive to improve our offerings.

We understand that guest expectations vary, and we appreciate your perspective on those who may have had different experiences. We look forward to welcoming you back, whether with your family or just with your wife, for another enjoyable stay.

Reviewed 12 January 2024

My husband is whatever the top tier of the IHG program is, which I raise only to highlight that we travel a lot for work and stay at many IHG affiliated hotels across Australia and internationally. I never review but felt the need to on this occasion so hopefully other travellers think twice about booking into this hotel.

I can honestly say this hotel should not be 5-star or even 4-star rated.

There is no ability to order water (free or by paying) via the in-room dining app. When I asked the staff member who delivered my room service meal how I went about purchasing water she said the room service element is run by the restaurant who don’t provide water….. I was gobsmacked.

I called the ‘instant service’ button on the phone on numerous occasions (to find out how I could purchase water, make a booking at one of the hotel restaurants or enquire about their spa) but on every single occasion over the last three days the ‘Instant Service’ line has rung through and absolutely no one has picked up or returned calls until I tried to call tonight over a 15-20min period and eventually a staff member answered the call.

There is no ability to prioritise bookings at the restaurants so don’t bother. The restaurant staff appear young, inexperienced, unmotivated and the whole experience is lacking in every possible way. I felt I was at an RSL club dining in the restaurants (nothing wrong with that if I was not having to pay premium prices and advertising to suggest higher end experiences).

The breakfast… I can see other guests have also mentioned this. Absolutely dismal. The offerings are beyond basic and minimal with no offering to order specialty meals (eg omelette). They warned us we’d be waiting at least 30 minutes if we ordered a coffee (this proves correct every single day).

Rooms are small, like really small,
and not well lit.

What I don’t want to receive is a template message from the hotel in response to my review (really please don’t!). It’s high time senior management take action on grievances raised regularly by guests. Until that time, we won’t be here again and I urge you to read all the reviews before booking yourselves.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Jason Burnett, General Manager at InterContinental Sorrento Mornington Peninsula, an IHG Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2024

Dear Guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your detailed feedback, and we sincerely apologise for the challenges you encountered during your stay. Your concerns are important to us, and we would like the opportunity to discuss your experience in more detail. Kindly contact our hotel directly, and we will be happy to address your specific issues and work towards a resolution.

Reviewed 8 January 2024

We booked for a one-bedroom suite. It was very expensive (over $1500 per night) and so our expectations were high. Unfortunately, the experience was sub-par.
The rating would be higher were it not for the price.

Starting with the positives: the furnishings were pleasant, and staff were friendly. It's for that reason that it pains me to write this review. However, the positives were overshadowed significantly by other matters that need to be mentioned.

PARKING IS UNRELIABLE
The website says that parking is provided to guests. On arrival though, the parking lot was full, and we couldn't park in the dedicated lot. (To say nothing of the fact that our cards didn't work on the boomgate.) For the duration of our stay, it continued to be full. If you want to park, you will need to make an effort to get into the lot while there are one or two spaces available. Playing musical chairs in the parking lot is not my idea of entertainment.

IF YOU WANT A CRIB/COT, YOU WILL NEED TO BOOK A SUITE
We have an infant child. I confirmed with IHG on THREE occasions that an infant crib would be included. First, I emailed reservations and was told I needed to book the (double-the-price) suit in order to have a crib (more on this below). Second, I selected it as an option in the booking. Third, I emailed the hotel to be told "we are able to accommodate a cot in your room". On arrival in the evening, there was no crib. We were told this is because we were upgraded to the penthouse (although, I should add that this was a misnomer as it didn't include any additional features - e.g. the exclusive rooftop deck was closed and the other rooms were closed off for other guests). The staff (who were lovely) then had to hunt a crib down. We were told that there was no guarantee we would have one. We got one, but we were unable to get our infant to sleep for some time while this was all happening. This is plainly unsatisfactory.

When the crib arrived, it was small. No issue with that, but it escaped me why the hotel has a policy of requiring customers to purchase PREMIUM suits to have a crib that could easily fit into ANY room. On this issue, I will be seeking an explanation. It was the whole reason we agreed to spend an additional $1,000+ on the room. If it's some fire safety issue or part of the development consent, I would like to see the relevant document.

LIFTS ARE SLOW AND CONFUSING
There are two lifts serving the main guest floors. Somewhat annoyingly, they are spaced apart (perhaps due to architectural constraints). What makes them unworkable is that each operates separately (meaning you can't push one to button call the nearest lift). This often results in people travelling up to go down (and vice versa). To top it off: staff (including with trolleys) use the guest lifts instead of a dedicated service lift. The lifts are painfully slow. It is not uncommon to be waiting a good few minutes for a lift. Slow lifts, like traffic, then means you end up with a backlog of passengers. So, the lifts are usually crowded.

BREAKFAST IS POOR
Breakfast was included. Given the price, we were expecting something spectacular. It was poor. The selection is very limited: scrambled and poached eggs, bacon, sausages, cooked tomatoes and mushrooms for hot breakfast. Very limited selection of pastries and some basic cerials. Fruit was VERY limited. Putting the range to one side, some of the selections ran out. For example, strawberries disappeared and were not replenished. It took time for hot breakfast options to be topped up.

On day 1, it took a good 20 to 30 minutes for our coffees to come out. The coffee was good, but it was exceptionally slow. I expect management will argue that this is the peak season and beyond their control. I disagree. Clearly, we were hit with a surge price - management ought to be aware that this means more resources are needed. It can't have been a surprise that there would be a lot of people about. After all, each guest booked a room with the hotel: that's plenty of heads up.

NO SLIPPERS AND NO EXPLANATION
I know this seems petty, but it's often small things that reflect a business's attitude towards its customers: how they deal with small things. I am an IHG member. I was told we get complementary slippers. It was on our welcome letter. It was also some of the hotel literature. Nothing special - most five-star hotels give complementary slippers. We arrived to no slippers. On our last day, I asked one of the staff. I was told they were 'on order'. Again, it's small. But why hide this? Why not say upfront, 'we are sorry that we have run out but here is something to make up for it'?

OVERALL
There are a few other matters that I could go into. On the whole, the experience was unsatisfactory and really disappointing. One issue compounded another. Management needs to look into its offering carefully. It will take a lot of improvements to make it worth the very high price.

Room tip: Get to breakfast early as it is apparent that it will improve your chance of having a selection and being served promptly.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Jason Burnett, General Manager at InterContinental Sorrento Mornington Peninsula, an IHG Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2024

Dear Guest,

Thank you for providing detailed feedback about your recent stay. We sincerely apologise for the challenges you encountered, and we understand your disappointment. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your experience in more detail. Please contact our hotel directly, and we will be happy to address your concerns and work towards a resolution.

Reviewed 3 January 2024

Many things about the Conti deserve a 5 star rating...the check in staff, the spa and its staff, the location however the breakfast, poolside offerings and the room service food leave a lot to be desired. The breakfast is really basic and there needs to be more on offer especially if you are Gluten free. What about fresh juices, avocado, an alternative to coconut yogurt that not everyone likes, even an option to order an omelet? By the third morning we ditched the hotel breakfast and went across the road to Stingers. The pool has limited pre prepared food that seemed to lack freshness and took ages and on a previous visit (we have stayed 3 times) we ordered steak sandwiches via room service that were not great. But Audreys def worth going to!

Date of stay: December 2023
Trip type: Travelled with family
Jason Burnett, General Manager at InterContinental Sorrento Mornington Peninsula, an IHG Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2024

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your insights following your recent stays. We appreciate your positive feedback on aspects such as the check-in staff, spa, and the hotel's location.

While the restaurants operate independently from the hotel, we've taken note of your valuable feedback concerning food options and poolside offerings. Your suggestions for a more diverse and accommodating menu, especially for gluten-free options, fresh juices, and alternative choices, have been duly noted. We will ensure to pass on your feedback to the restaurant management to address these concerns and enhance the culinary offerings.

Your loyalty as a repeat guest is highly valued, and we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back for an improved and enjoyable experience.