“World Class Dining” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wild Oak Cafe

Wild Oak Cafe
Reserve with
Wild Oak Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 27 Restaurants in Olinda
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Sydney, Australia
“World Class Dining”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2011

World Class Dining in the mountains. Such a pleasant surprise. The menu is a gourmets delight. I wasnt really expecting to be so impressed with the food. The restaurant itself is a nice relaxed modern dining space. Service is friendly and professional. But the food is the real star here. Oh and the wine list. Which is handy as they do a pick up and drop off to local B&Bs and my wife and I had a few to many to drive back :-)

Loved it. Worth going up to Mt Dandenong just to eat here.

• Visited July 2011

Melbourne, Australia
“Serves was good,pricewise too expensive for the value of the food.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2011

We went there in 2010 and the food was great, a bit pricey but was well worth it. We went again for Mother's Day lunch 2011 and were disappointed with the food especially considering the price. Unfortunately (or fortunately) whilst waiting for a course to arrive, I was able to see into part of the kitchen, where to my horror, I saw staff members eating ice cream from a spoon (double dipping without washing it) and then scooping up serves for their clients from the same container.

• Visited May 2011
WildOak, Manager at Wild Oak Cafe, responded to this review, 25 May 2011
As Front of House manager for Wild Oak Restaurant, I am truly sad and disappointed when a guest of ours has had an unpleasant experience. It is my personal responsibility to make sure guests have a great dining experience. I will accept nothing less.
As we do have an open kitchen, and most of our menu is from scratch, the guests can see almost every angle of the day to day operations of our chefs. Our chefs are required to taste everything before it is plated, and we have separate containers in which this is done. I assured the gentlemen that nothing from our tasting spoons or bowls goes onto a guests plate. Again,as we are an open kitchen, customer perception always plays a part in how we are viewed.
I am very sensitive to a guests concerns and did everything possible when the final bill was presented (including a discount) to ensure the gentlemen that we truly care about his business.

At Wild Oak Restaurant, we pride ourselves on fresh local ingredients, delicious food and wine, and outstanding service.
Please feel free to come say hello and we can make your next visit a memorable one!

Kind Regards,
Wild Oak Restaurant and Cooking School
London/Melbourne
“Has had its day”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2010

We have dined at the Wild Oak Cafe in Olinda several times over the last few years. Our most recent visit will be our last though. The restaurant surrounds are looking very shabby indeed and our meal was more than disappointing. We both ordered steak and at $38 per main were expecting a nice piece of eye or scotch fillet. However, we were served a tough piece of supermarket-quality rump with more fat than meat on it. I expressed my complaint to the waitress who tried to tell me the steak used was only one grade down from Wagyu. I found this ridiculous and tried to complain further and she must have said half a dozen times that 'we only use MSA grade steak' as she walked off not listening to me or offering a discount. The food and service at Wild Oak have gone so far downhill we won't be returning and suggest others stay away also.

1 Thank Michelle_Darren
WildOak, Manager at Wild Oak Cafe, responded to this review, 25 May 2011
We would love for you to come and visit the Wild Oak Restaurant and Cooking School!

We pride ourselves on fresh, local ingredients and outstanding food and wine. Pair this service based on strict standards of excellence and we know you will leave with smile on your face!

Our restaurant has a very "vintage" look. As part of the Mt. Dandenong/ Olinda area, history and ambience are what bring a lot of our customers to dine with us. We try to keep everything the way it has always been and most guests love it that way!
Unfortunately, we do not own the surrounding landscape and I am sad to see that this played a part in the poor guest experience.
Come into the Wild Oak ready for first class food and service, understanding the history and age of our building is what we are all about , and you wont be disappointed!!
Melbourne
“Wouldn't recommend it.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2010

We went there for my birthday lunch, 3 of us in total. The place looked tired and worn out from the front with the worn outdoor furniture and didn't look much better inside. Certainly looked nothing like the photo on the internet. Whilst our Waiter was very pleasant, we ordered bread to start with which never arrived and only 4 other people in the restaurant at that stage. We did end up the bread on our bill however. The meal was fine although small and for the prices they charge you would expect a much more upmarket restaurant with a better appearance. To look out the window you were greeted with a barren, untidy looking vacant lot, the paintwork was grubby and the toilets in need of a spruce up. All in all, a disappointing encounter. We finished up at Rangers in Olinda for a cheese plate and were surrounded by people with wonderful looking meals for a lot less cost than Wild Oak charged. And the cheese plate was great.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
East Melbourne
“Great food, service in a cute little restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2010

We went to Wild Oak Cafe on busy Queens birthday weekend. Fortunately we were booked in as they were reasonably busy. The place had a nice cute feel and could be quite romantic.

Our waiter, Nathan, was very pleasant and knew the menu quite well. All of our three courses were absolutely spot on. I had the scallops for entree, pork neck for main, and sticky date pudding for dessert. They were very delicious. The meals were served quickly and very well presented.

The fact they have their own cooking school based there is a sure sign that the food was always going to be good there!

The prices were reasonable as well. I would highly recommend you visit Olinda as its a lovely little place, and having lunch or dinner at WIld Oak will certainly round off a great visit there.