“Great day out”

Ranked #9 of 28 Restaurants in Olinda
Price range: USD 21 - USD 50
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: THE CUCKOO RESTAURANT Wunderbar! Situated in the stunning Dandenong Ranges, just 50 minutes from Melbourne, the Cuckoo is close to popular tourist destinations like Puffing Billy Railway and Healesville Sanctuary. This buzzing 400 seat restaurant offers a delectable smorgasbord in a warm and welcoming family atmosphere. Decorated in the style of a Bavarian chalet and with staff dressed in traditional costume, The Cuckoo has been attracting locals and visitors from all over the world for nearly sixty years. With an abundance of food to satisfy all, the delicious international smorgasbord is prepared by first class chefs and the amazing range of cakes and pastries are made fresh daily. Most dietary needs can be catered for. Live entertainment at each session includes music and a floor show, cow bell ringing and yodelling equal to any in Bavaria The Cuckoo also offers wedding celebrations with receptions planned and staged beautifully with views of the surrounding mountain ash forest. For getaway couples, a family day out or large festive party groups the Cuckoo Restaurant offers the beauty of the Dandenong's, sumptuous and generous meals plus entertaining events throughout the year at very competitive rates. Bookings are essential Open for lunch 7 days a week 11.30am - 3.00pm Dinner Friday, Saturday & Sunday 6.30pm - 11.30pm Afternoon Tea Saturday & Sunday 3.30pm-5.30pm
Reviewed 1 October 2017 via mobile

Visited with a large group of family. Great day out with a fun atmosphere and good food. The only downside is that you are unable to split bills and there is no ATM so organising payment at the end of the day become slightly inconvenient, however lesson learnt and will know for next time!

1  Thank jaydevg16

Reviewed 6 September 2017

A mid-week treat with old friends in chilly Olinda. Cuckoo Restaurant pulls out all the stops for kitch and fun. The buffet is delicious - could be more variety for the entree though if you can't eat shellfish - and the entertainment fun. If you're looking for a good old chin-wag with old friends it may not be the place. We had to ask to be moved from the band as they played very loudly! Good food and fun times though.

Reviewed 30 August 2017

I had my 18th birthday party here 43 years ago and had a wow of a time. Have enjoyed many friendship group parties celebrations and get togethers as well. We didn't mind the drive across town.
However the Sunday afternoon luncheon I attended recently was disappointing for many reasons but it was not like the old Days of The Cuckoo and not worth the long drive.
The range of options for the smorgasbord was very small and more like a very poor quality country pub. The seafood buffet (?) consisted of mussels which looked dodgy some prawns and some white fish in beer(?) batter. The prawns were tasteless and mushy, the battered fish greasy and the salads were very tired looking. The bacon put out for the 'make your own Waldorf Salad' was not fresh or crispy the cheesy pasta with broccoli was bland.
We had a couple of vegetarians in our group who had called ahead notifying them of this situation. Firstly they had forgotten this and then presented them with a bowl of steamed vegetables each.
I'm not a big read meat eater but I avoided the roast dishes but was told that the Pork and Beef was OK, but not very Bavarian or Germanic - just some sausages on the side.
I tried the desserts, a sticky date pudding that was presented as a tray of inch thick cake with the sauce smothered over the top. Same for the Chocolate pudding.
Cheeses? I love blue cheeses but off putting when I saw it in a bowl all mixed and stirred up. Also provided was a cheddar and maybe a Gruyere couldn't tell as they both tasted the same - so bland like white cheese (?). Biscuits were just jazz or salad crackers no quality bread or crackers. There other tarts or biscuits that didn't look very appetising at all.
I stop here because I think my point has been made. It is by no means value for money despite the advertising being 'all you can eat' for $54 - I didn't eat much and had a Maca's on the way home I was so hungry.
If you like quality fresh produce with variety ......?
TheosTruthFoodie: The Truth, The Whole Truth and Nothing But The Truth.

5  Thank TheosTruthFoodie
Reviewed 25 August 2017

Visited the CUCKOO for lunch. My wife and I had our engagement party 35 years ago.
It was such a walk down memory lane .
The atmosphere and food has not changed and is still a great smorgasbord with more options than you could ever eat. From chicken schnitzel to goulash the choices were all delious. You feel as if you have just stepped into grandma kitchen with good hot family meals . The chefs monitor the self serve and the food is kept fresh and hot.
A special shout out to our waitress who was delightful and a credit to the cuckoo team
Staff work hard to service the many overseas tourist buses that stop here with beaming smiles and humour.
If you want to have a lovely lunch in a delightful atmosphere with vistas worth painting of the Australian bush the CUCKOO IS AN AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL TREASURE
Well done CUCKOO TEAM :)

1  Thank DREAMBIG1313
Management response:Responded 28 August 2017

Well thank you Very Much for this wonderful review. I will print this review out and put it on the staff room notice board for viewing. It will make everyone's day as positive feedback for our fabulous staff is so motivational and uplifting.

We are a piece of Australian History and very proud of this fact. Next year will be a full 60 years of trading and our dear owner who opened this restaurant with her husband back in 1958, is so proud of everything her restaurant has come to be and what it means to people. She is here most every day to welcome and watch over people to make sure everyone has the best experience possible.
Thank you again for this awesome feedback!

Reviewed 13 August 2017 via mobile

We visited Cuckoo to have lunch on a Sunday. It was a good atmosphere and worth the price that we paid for the food.

The buffet cost $54 per person and I think it has plenty of options. We ate two plates each and my husband also had desserts. Everything is included in that price but drinks. The drinks menu is good and prices are reasonable.

The staff was great and really helpful. I did the booking in the morning and arrived there at 1pm. The restaurant opens at 11:30am and I would recommend go earlier than we did if you are with a group of friends.

They started the entertainment at 1pm and it was really nice. I just would make it bigger so they customers would enjoy more.

I saw on their telly that the place is 100 years old and I loved the pictures and decorations. Definitely, a restaurant which is part of history in Olinda. Also, easy to park and an amazing view around the windows.