“Tea House or Chinese Restaurant?”
Review of Olinda Tea House

Olinda Tea House
Ranked #14 of 29 Restaurants in Olinda
Price range: USD 13 - USD 35
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: the Olinda Tea House is a place like no other. With unrivalled ambiance, it is the perfect location to host your next special event. Relax in our modern environmentally sustainable building and enjoy the peace and tranquility nature has to offer. This Olinda Tea House is a truly spectacular place which is sure to impress and inspire you and your guests!
Reviewed 20 February 2018

I was at this place a few weeks ago and when I walked in it did not resemble a tea house at all, rather a chinese restaurant with the only thing I saw being served was rice, meat and veg.
Am I wrong? Needless to say, I promptly left.

1  Thank tarielleau
杲 钱, Owner at Olinda Tea House, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2018

Dear customer,

Our menu is quite extensive, we serve morning tea,lunch,English high tea,dinner

Reviewed 14 February 2018

bought a groupon for high tea, $59 for 2 whereas restaurant normally would charge $59 pp.

What was brought out, 2 sandwiches (1 egg 2 ham) decrusted cut in half, 4x savoury puff pastries with nothing inside, 2x macaron, 2x bite sized cake, 2x profiterole esque things and 2x tarts (runny top), 2x glass of "champagne" which they refused to show me the bottle for, and which oddly tastes less like any French Champagne region wine, and oddly like a cheap Australian sparkly. Oh and 2x super dense scones (the opposite of fluffy) with standard cream and off color but OK tasting jam. And 2x pots of tea since we chose differing tea flavors.

For these items, which I had at 1300 after skipping breakfast, so the hunger should have in theory made it taste better than it actually was, and my take on the quality was low. The effort it took to assemble the high tea was minimal, everything was ready made, hot water into teapot and heat up the savoury and you're ready to go. For such a meal, I would not have paid $59 regular for it, so I am particularly unpleased that the price was artificially increased to $59 per person, then sold to Groupon as a "50% off". Basically the merchant price gouged 300%, then haggles with you down to 50%. You are still paying for an overpriced underwhelming sham product.

The online menu was also changed from when deciding to buy the groupon to when making the booking, new proprietors to the location since April 2017, probably cos it took this long to lose the old regular customers. The menu is now full chinese restaurant menu despite being a "teahouse".

Overall, a disappointing venture and a particularly cruel loss considering I came on Valentines for something special. Know what you are getting into, and never trust the deals you are told you are getting.

1  Thank hungryfizzio
Reviewed 13 February 2018

We did a hike near by and noticed this restaurant, we though that we would drop in and have an afternoon tea with scones and Tea.
However after looking at the menu we decided to have the calamari with fried rice. The meal was nice, they had a great wine and beer list, so we decided to have a Chinese and Japanese beer both were cold refreshing.
We were lucky enough to have a booth seat which then turned into a swing seat which was a bonus. The staff were very friendly and always had a smile.
We liked the quiet atmosphere with nice Asian music playing in the background,which added to the relaxing atmosphere.
We also noticed a little play area for the kids to go and play in. We did not go for a walk in the gardens, but they did look well loved and well designed.
We will have to return after our next walk for those scones

Reviewed 10 February 2018

We had the pleasure of enjoying lunch there using a Groupon Voucher - despite what was on the voucher (titled Asian Fusion Lunch) we were kindly given the option of a selection each from the main menu + a glass of wine. As it turned out it was indeed the best way to go. Meal portions and presentation outstanding. I had Signature Lamb Fillet with Cumin, Chilli and Onion (caught between the choice of pork ribs or lamb - our very sweet waitress suggested the latter and I was very happy I accepted her advice) whilst my partner had Kung Pao Chicken with peanuts. We were both well satisfied with our dishes. Mine in particular was sensational - normally I am not akin to hot spicy dishes but this was just right. Extremely tasty and fulfilling. The restaurant has been under new management since November 2017. We had been there before some years ago for breakfast and at that time were not impressed. This time around was the complete opposite. Very friendly and welcoming. You can eat outside or inside. We chose outside even though it was a very warm day. Glad we did it just added to the overall ambience of the venue set in beautiful green/treed surroundings. Another positive all Asian complement in the kitchen which is clearly visible to all and sundry. Very clean all round. Plenty of parking off road. All in all a great experience. Highly recommended to local &/or visiting clientele from interstate or overseas. Will certainly return. New management have nailed it.

杲 钱, Owner at Olinda Tea House, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2018

Hi Bigredhawker,

Thanks for sharing your experience!
Looking forward to see you soon!

Reviewed 10 February 2018

Such an amazing place,we have eaten there twice now.Great food,lovely staff and service.This time we were seated out on the moving table out on the deck.It was very relaxing and peaceful with view overlooking the beautiful gardens.We will be back again soon.