“Great cafe”

The Lilydale General
Ranked #6 of 56 Restaurants in Lilydale
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Lilydale’s local since 2013, the Lilydale General serves AXIL coffee and all day breakfast, brunch & lunch style menu. Our outdoor seating area is dog friendly and perfect for a sunny day. Plenty of parking and a great spot for a bite on your way to and from the Yarra Valley. Look out for our green and white stripes! We also offer evening functions, pick-up catering, phone orders & vouchers. - Mel & The Lilydale General Team
Reviewed 10 November 2020

I'm not from the area, but this was highly rated, so I had to try it. I can see why it rates so well. The coffee is fantastic, the staff are super friendly and the food is delicious.
I look forward to returning when I'm in the area.
Well done!

Date of visit: October 2020
2  Thank Dennis M

Reviewed 2 February 2020

We had a great dining experience today. Our waiter was prompt in taking our orders, friendly and helpful. Our food was out after a short wait and the food and smoothies were delicious! This is one of our favourite cafes and we’re glad that their high standards are evident each and every visit. 😊

Date of visit: February 2020
theLilydaleGeneral, Owner at The Lilydale General, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2020

Hi K8Sp13,

We are really glad you enjoyed your visit to our cafe. Thank you so much for the awesome review and hope to see you back real soon!

Regards
Glenn and the team @ the Lilydale General

Reviewed 27 January 2020

Maybe 4th time lucky, beans from Axil, best I have had so far in Lilydale. I liked the industrial vibe and obviously popular. I was tempted to have a muffin as looked great but resisted the temptation.

Date of visit: January 2020

Hi Garry,
Thanks for the great review on the coffee. Hope to see you back again soon and temp you to dine with some of our delicious food offerings.
Cheers
Glenn and the team at the Lilydale General

Reviewed 9 October 2019 via mobile

Have not been for a couple of years but decided to go back. We had a lovely lunch..had beautiful Eggs Benedict with pulled pork and Banana waffles which was amazing. Lovely coffee and good service. Place gets noisy but so many places do now.

Date of visit: September 2019
theLilydaleGeneral, Owner at The Lilydale General, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2019

Hey there!
Thanks so much for this awesome feedback! So glad to hear you enjoyed the benny and waffles. We have a new menu coming soon so you'll have to come back in to try some new dishes out! 😁
Thanks again,
Thomas & the Lilydale General team

Reviewed 14 September 2019

Service and coffee very good but today's food was very disappointing. I had the omelette which was very dry and very thin. It was described as an omelette with cheese and bacon. The bacon was not in the omelette (as I had expected) but was with the omelette on the toast - this leaves for a very unfulfilling omelette dish. When I mentioned to my wife later that breakfast was not so good she also commented that her corn fritters were dry and unappealing. I can't say that the cafe was overwhelmed with patrons and that the kitchen couldn't cope as meals came out relatively quickly after ordering. Therefore my rating is lower than I would have hoped based on the lack of quality of the food. We have been here before (maybe 12 months ago) and I recall it was a good meal with friends.

Date of visit: September 2019
theLilydaleGeneral, Owner at The Lilydale General, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2019

Hi Peter,
I'm really disappointed to hear that your food wasn't up to standard during your last visit. The bacon should have definitely been in omelette as that's how it is served. I spoke to the kitchen team on that day as to why this happened and they said an omelette order came through asking for the bacon on the side. So whether your dish was mixed up with this one or it was a miscommunication with the wait staff I'm not sure. Either way that's a mistake on us. Our fritters are one of our favourite dishes amongst our guests, and it's disappointing again that they weren't up to our usual standard. I've reiterated to the kitchen team to keep an eye on the fritters/cooking times to make sure they are not overcooking them.
As you said you previously had a good meal with friends which sounds much more like us, and unfortunately we missed the mark this time around.
I hope you do give us another go and I'd like to offer a round of complimentary coffees/other drinks for you and any guests to make up for your experience the other day. If you'd be keen to come back in, send us an e-mail at thelilydalegeneral@gmail.com and I can organise this for you.
Thanks heaps for the feedback Peter,
Thomas & the Lilydale General team