New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Royal Mail Dining Room
Ranked #2 of 7 Restaurants in Dunkeld
Price range: USD 41 - USD 123
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, View, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Royal Mail Hotel Dining Room has been awarded '2 hats' by the Age Good Food Guide 2015 & 2016. The Dining Room serves innovative, seasonally driven menu that draws from the extensive organic kitchen garden - reputed as the largest and most productive restaurant kitchen garden in Australia. The Dining Room wine list has been awarded 'Best Hotel Wine List, worldwide, by Fine Wine UK. The cellar houses over 26,000 bottles and wines can be served matched to each course of the five or eight course chefs tasting menus.
Australia
“Now I understand the mixed reviews...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

For a restaurant to be considered "destination dining", I believe it should be truly outstanding - food, wine, service, ambience. I had been looking forward to going to the Royal Mail for quite a while, now I understand the mixed reviews. In my opinion the degustation menu was good, but one can have just as good if not better at Rockpool, Tetsuya's or Quay. The service started fine, but halfway through, the wait between courses was very long. (There were only 30 people being served). The whole meal took 4 hours. Portions were rather large for degustation, the balance was not quite right, it was quite filling, specially the 3 desserts at the end. The wine selection I agree is outstanding - I haven't seen any better in all the fine dining places I have been to. Staff were well trained and efficient. Ambience was lacking, but this didn't bother me. It would have been nice if at the end of the meal Dan Hunter would have come out and greeted the diners. After all, dining at his restaurant involved a very long drive to get there plus an overnight stay! It was quite an expensive outing. Overall i would say it was good but not the ultimate dining experience I expected. Would I recommend it to friends? I don't think so.

• Visited December 2011
2 Thank Inverloch

• Indonesian first
“Lived up to the hype”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

Only ate from the bar menu but the corned beef I had was fantastic. My fiance had the whole trout, which was less fantastic owing to the amount of bones (although well cooked). Just going through the main bistro section (which is open so you can watch the cooking and plating up), you can tell it's a properly good restaurant. Service was first class and the view pretty good.

• Visited February 2012
hong kong
“Splendid food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

If you can manage to snag a booking, the restaurant is well worth a visit. We really enjoyed the innovation, surprises and flavours offered in the degustation menu. It wasn't over the top trendy molecular gastronomy being too smart, but offered some clever combinations and enjoyable tastes. We did wonder if three desserts were necessary, having enjoyed the savory dishes like duck , and tomato and daikon, immensely. Wine pairings were well selected and complemented food well.
The bistro menu is a la carte, offered at the other end of the restaurant and offers large serves of delicious local produce, with some local produce specials, like squash soup. Yummy.

Visited February 2012
Melbourne, Australia
“Fabulous staff and food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2012

We were extremely lucky to get in on a Friday night due to a cancellation. We went with high expectaations and were not disappointed.

The first sight of The Royal Mail, especially at night with their lights twinkling, is a modern retro pleasure. It is built to reflect the curves of the art deco period and perfectly blends with the older part original part of the building. Inside the building, the use of angles,layers and different materials helps absorb the sound and lease the eye.

The wait staff were extremely well informaed and very knowledgeable, they could answer every question we asked about the food, the cooking processes, and wine. They were attentive without being intrusive. Our sparkling water was always topped up.

There is a choice of vegetarian or omnivore degustation menus. We both opted for the omnivore menus and the staff took the time to ensure that there was no shellfish for my partner. I opted for the matched wine option which provided an opportunity to enjoy wine from all over the world which was perfectly matched to the food. My partner is so wonderful that he offered to be the driver, so no matched wine for him, instead so he chose a cider and a French Pinot for later in the meal.

The food was inventive, perfectly seasoned, and wonderfully well balanced flavours (I can provide full menu details if anyone would like the details) which we both thoroughly enjoyed.

We would recommend The Royal Mail to anyone who enjoys great food, wine and service.

• Visited January 2012
“Exquisite”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

We had the degustation menu and it was absolutely exquisite. Everything was delicious and we were delighted to find that the restaurant was not the slightest bit pretentious. The staff were warm and welcoming. Do yourself a favour and save up for a visit here - it will be one of the best meals of your life.

• Visited January 2012