Lowest prices for your stay
Fully refundable before Sat, 1 June
Mike C
Dublin, Ireland

The hotel is great. The accommodation is a DUMP.

1.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 2 Apr 2022
I booked and stayed here for three nights... too long a stay.
The food was excellent and the table service was just as good. The staff members were pleasant and the hotel, itself, was modern and first-class. Then there's the accommodation.
The accommodation can only be best described as a DUMP. On arrival, I was greeted by a smashed window to one of the apartments which was boarded up by cardboard. The rooms have not been renovated for nearly fifty years and it really looks like something straight out of the seventies. Everything is dated except for the cheap television (which only offered a handful of local stations offering reality TV programs).
Added to this was the fridge's motor which kicked in every hour and a half during the night to generate cold. As if there was nothing else to complain about, I had a tenant in the above apartment do his paces on the thin ceiling every evening between 1;00 and 1:30 am.
Oh! By the way, let's not forget the fact that it charges around the same price (around $130/ night) as other hotels that are in far better condition that this one!
Overall, it was a very unpleasant experience which kept me tired and listless during the days I was there.
Date of stay: March 2022
Room Tip: Do NOT stay here!!
Trip type: Travelled on business
AU$152
    AU$156
6.2 km from Dorset Gardens Hotel
View more hotels in Croydon
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 9 June 2021 via mobile

Had a catch up lunch with my kids and father - 3 generations who all loved the meals here.
The usual favourites on the menu - chicken parma, flat head tails, lamb shanks (which were huge), I had the saginyaki and my youngest had the arachini balls. All meals were generous sizes.
The apple crumble as usual was delicious.
The restaurant is large and there is plenty of space. Come here before Christmas and you'll find the place very busy.
Wheelchair friendly. Dietaries catered for. Portion sizes good. Plenty of parking.
Seniors meals are available with great value for money.
Staff were excellent and despite being busy, got our orders correct and to us in a timely manner.
Thank you.

Date of stay: March 2021
Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank urbandrifter
Reviewed 31 May 2021

We stayed here recently during our bathroom renovation. The 1st night here we found some friends in the gaming area who were there with their mother. After about an hour of catching up with a few drinks the security guy came over and asked us to move to the public bar. My husband asked why and the reason was we were not spending enough money, even though i had been playing pokies until i saw my old friends and we were playing keno and buying drinks. I went to speak to the security guy who said it had come from the girls behind the bar/cashier. I wen over to order a drink and they said i was cut off, the whole group had been cut off. One of my friends really took exception but was very polite and while i was asking as well the other so called lady started growling like a dog.. Unsure of what she was saying as her head was down pretending to do something. i have never been cut off before and this is a pub, i dont think we were misbehaving or even intoxicated she had just taken exception to our group (we are in our 50's how much trouble can we get in?). Maybe mondays are supposed to be quieter and she didnt want to pour an extra couple of beers. Apart from this, the food was really good and the room ok, the cleaning lady was lovely. Would have been a much higher rating but due to the 1st night, marked down. This place used to be huge but now on friday/saturday hardly anyone there and i can see why due to the staff. I dont think not spending enough money in a pub is a good enough reason to cut people off and will not be making this my local again. (It was pumping in the 80's!!)

Date of stay: April 2021
Reviewed 6 April 2021

Nice staff were all that had me give the 'dirty Dorset' as it is affectionately known by the locals, 2 out of 5.

My bro and I go out every Tuesday night to a range of restaurants and Hotel bistro's ranging from Blackburn through to Lilydale to Ferntree Gully, Knox and everywhere in between. We've been doing this for years.

Point being; we've checked the quality, taste and overall offerings of many a restaurant/pub. Now, irrespective of Covid-19, many pubs in the area are continuing to serve $9.95 seniors main meals with small deserts and entrees typically around $2.50 each.

Of these there are a couple of standouts such as The Royal in Upper FTG with a seniors steak for under $10 yet well presented, tasty, lacking in fatty content - overall excellent.

Back to The Dorset. Mmm. Wow. The price for a seniors meal (designed to be smaller - obviously - than a normal meal), is $18.50! The size of my bro's Parma and my schnitzel was really no larger than what others present at just over half that price. That's one point lost. But honestly, where the other 2 points go missing is the quality of the offerings.

The chips, frankly, were rubbish, the salad - yuk - and the schnitzel and Parma average at best.

Sorry to say, but I can guarantee the Dorset that we will not return.

Date of stay: April 2021
Reviewed 27 March 2021 via mobile

My wife and I went for lunch on Saturday 27th March 21 in the Sports bar because we wanted a casual lunch. We ordered about 12ish and the meals were delivered relatively fast. My fish and chips was ordered with a side salad but the meal came without the chips and although this was fixed it took sometime before the chips were delivered. The problem is that the meals must have been pre-cooked and then roughly reheated. The chicken Parma, chips and battered fish were only just warm when we received them. We couldn’t finish the meals and we were so disappointed we left disgusted. What should have been a relaxed two hour session ended abruptly after 40 minutes. Business lost. The chef and staff do not have pride in their work. It’s not the quantity it is the quality - the prices in the sports bar is the same in the bistro for the menu items listed in both.

Date of stay: March 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 June 2020

Friendly and warm staff, really good steaks, quick service, clean, organised, great selection on the menu. 40 years as a chef and I'm impressed. Look out surrounding venues, the bar has been raised. Returning for sure.

Date of stay: June 2020