Lowest prices for your stay
AU$156
Get rewarded with One Key
Agoda.com
AU$149
Fully refundable before Tue, 27 Feb
No booking fees
All reviews george kerferd main building complimentary breakfast gk accommodation town conference trees outlook roomy
Selected filters
Reviewed 10 April 2021 via mobile

Stayed 3 nights. Rooms basic but totally adequate. Used the restaurant on two of the nights and food was excellent. We loved sitting on the deck out front. Staff were really welcoming and accomodating. Beautiful location. Beechworth town just a couple of minutes away by car. We used the location as a base for 3 days cycling through rail trails and we’ll be back for more soon.

Date of stay: April 2021
Reviewed 18 March 2021

A lovely hotel set in beautiful surroundings that are quiet and peaceful assures you of a good night's rest, particularly when travelling. The rooms are spacious, well appointed and tick the box. A very good, mid-range hotel perfect for a stop-over. The restaurant offers good food, well priced and service is great - well done Rose.

Room tip: Ask for garden view, Rooms 17, 18 and 19 have outdoor seating for these rooms.
Date of stay: March 2021
Reviewed 10 March 2021

I spent three nights here. The grounds are absolutely magnificent and well worth walking around. The hotel is divided up into two areas. There is the actual hotel, containing the bar and bistro plus rooms and there is also the Linaker Nurses' quarters of the Lunatic Asylum. Our group stayed in the Linaker rooms which is a completely different building on the grounds, just a couple of minutes walk through the gardens to the main building.

The Linaker building is considerably older than the main hotel and is showing its age, with flaking paint. I had a shared room with a friend and we found the arrangement to be very suitable. On entering the room, we realised we both had a small separate bedroom with a shared bathroom in-between. Both rooms only had a single bed so would not be suitable for a couple. I believe other rooms had a different set-up so check before booking. The major drawback of the Linaker section was that the free wi-fi did not extend that far (only worked in the main part of the hotel) and I had no phone reception with my provider (Optus).

We had dinner at the hotel on the Friday night and everyone was very happy with their meal. Pre-dinner drinks outside overlooking the grounds was lovely. I was surprised on the Sunday night of a long weekend that the bar and restaurant were closed. I thought at least the bar would be open for a drink. Even reception was shut when I went over about 5.30pm.

The provided breakfast is very basic (maybe impacted by Covid regulations) and despite being a bit chaotic the first morning with such a large group I have to give full marks to the staff for their friendliness and happy dispositions. Throughout the stay the ladies looking after us were fabulous. By the next morning, they had sorted out breakfast for such a large group.

I would happily stay here again, but next time I would book a room in the main hotel.

Room tip: For a better quality room, make sure your room is in the George Kerferd building.
Date of stay: March 2021
1  Thank shandy40
Reviewed 27 November 2020 via mobile

On the positive side - this is in the grounds of the old lunatic asylum, which is fascinating and a beautiful spot. Wandering the grounds was definitely worthwhile. It’s a spot that is ready for someone with some $$$ to come in and do something with. But as for the hotel itself - it is VERY tired. Was told on checking in that the pool has been closed since Feb - maybe don’t have it on the website then. There was NO wifi - again this is advertised, but nothing in our room. It appears that half the hotel was closed down. The bar was open til 530 or thereabouts, but appeared closed when we checked in. Not sure of breakfast as we left, it didn’t start til 830 but we were told on check in that it was basic anyway. I have no doubt that Covid has impacted their business and maybe that means they can’t fix the pool - but on a 30 degree day with summer a week away, that seems a bit dumb to me. But for $180 a night, I expect more, well at least what is advertised at a start. Definitely couldn’t recommend this as it is sadly.

Date of stay: November 2020
2  Thank Scott S
Reviewed 26 November 2020 via mobile

The idea of staying in the old lunatic asylum in the grounds seemed appealing but I didn’t expect the tired old rooms with damp up the walls, the doors on the bathroom not be able to close, the wifi not being able to be connected to, only instant coffee and having to leave by 8.30 and the breakfast not even started. This may be only the room we were in as could see the others but we paid the same price as everyone else. However, The worst was the one staff member who checked us in and then the only one we saw in the morning when we left acted at every time as it was the worst imposition we were there. In these times basic friendliness makes you forget and Forgive the little things but this was a poor experience. 3 out of 5 is me being generous in the covid times

Date of stay: November 2020