Get rewarded with One Key
Kyneton, Australia
New years visit
Review of The Old Priory
5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 2 Jan 2021
We were delighted with our stay at the old priory. We had booked this on the basis that it was a different experience for our kids to stay in an historic building. Being 2020 though we had to change our original booking as we had to cancel our NSW journey leg. We called the Priory directly and spoke with Angela who was very helpful. We ended up staying 2 nights instead of 1 in the nuns cottage.

The rooms were clean, bright and comfortable. Lovely to see a renovation that kept all the original features of the building and with lovely views out to the garden.

We would highly recommend the old priory and Angela as a host. It provided us a unique and welcoming space to enjoy Beechworth with a central home base.
Date of stay: January 2021
    AU$189
    AU$117
    AU$153
Pool
Outdoor Pool area with lounge chairs and outdoor dining
    AU$216
0.8 km from The Old Priory
1.3 km from The Old Priory
Restaurant
View more hotels in Beechworth
All reviews miners cottage quiet street comfortable stay cereal vegemite ensuite
Selected filters
Reviewed 19 December 2020

In North Eastern Victoria, Australia is the gold rush town of Beechworth. We looked for accommodation for 2 nights here recently and found a Convent, steeped in history, although little could we find on its past. Built in 1888 by Nuns from the order of St. Brigid, using 1 million bricks, it impresses, with every hidden doorway and grand staircase, stained glass windows, an original piano, long hallways, dormitory accommodation and attractive gardens. We chose an original Miners cottage, there are two, rather than the shared bathroom style. A good night's sleep was assured, in Motel like accommodation, with olde world touches like the shower with western style bathing tub to stand in! We were told breakfast is included in the guest dining area so we explored and came across another huge bricked area with TV, couches and basic breakfast items so Vegemite on toast went over well. There is a microwave, fridge and guests are asked to wash utensils after use which all are happy to do in this Covid world. It is peaceful and quiet, an interesting and pleasant change from your average Motel/Hotel. Helpful staff, discreet, interesting facts learned about this old Convent. Recommended. Tip - There are ghosts.

Room tip: If you like a little more privacy with an ensuite bathroom then the Miners Cottage is a must.
Date of stay: December 2020
2  Thank PaulineTourGuide
Reviewed 19 July 2020 via mobile

I’ve stayed here half a dozen times. Original condition 19th century convent. The best rooms are the Parlour and the Chapel. Will stay there again soon. Period charm throughout. Hosts really nice and well located near Main Street.

Date of stay: July 2020
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 6 January 2020

The Old Priory really surprised and surpassed our expectations !! Quietly tucked away at 8 Priory Lane, Beechworth is this hidden gem of a location for quiet and comfortable holiday. Extremely clean, well managed and friendly staff to make your stay really affordable and memorable.. 5 stars....

Room tip: All rooms are clean and affordable ranging from single to double to family sized rooms.
Date of stay: December 2019
2  Thank John A
Reviewed 20 December 2019

I stayed here for 2 weeks while I was in Beechworth for a nursing placement. Walking through the building felt like I was back in time going to the boarding school in Picnic at Hanging Rock. I fully expected it to be haunted but had no such experiences - only the occasional possum running across the verandah.
My roon was basic but ample for my needs. No airconditioning but the pedestal fan worked well, for the most part. Parking was free and shaded and in a quiet street. Town centre was only a 5 minute walk or a minute's drive away.
The best part of my experience was the customer service - could not fault it. Jen, the manager, went over and above on multiple occasions. No request was too small. Would stay there again, but not in Summer.

Date of stay: December 2019
Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 7 November 2019 via mobile

I booked this o few months ago and thought it looked ok, I mean “I’m only staying one night, it can’t be too bad”.

This is a gem. It’s a great building steeped in Beechworth history. The welcome was honest and candid. I was shown to my room and made to feel very welcome. I was given a quick tour of the important things, dining room, toilets etc. The room was was immaculate!! Huge, with a double bed and three single beds. From there it was a short walk to the ablutions area, again immaculately clean.

I do need to complain about one experience that I missed out and that was a “haunting” I read in several places that the Priory was hounded and other guests had received their “haunting”!
Well I missed out!!!

On a more serious note, this is a wonderful place to stay if you’re in Beechworth and it’s only a very short walk into town

Date of stay: November 2019