Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
gregory667
Melbourne, Australia

Best Hotel in Australia

Review of The Old Priory
5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 19 July 2020via mobile
I’ve stayed here half a dozen times. Original condition 19th century convent. The best rooms are the Parlour and the Chapel. Will stay there again soon. Period charm throughout. Hosts really nice and well located near Main Street.
Date of stay: July 2020
    AU$212
  • ZenHotels.com
    AU$226
View more hotels in Beechworth
All reviews miners cottage quiet street comfortable stay cereal vegemite ensuite
Selected filters
Reviewed 6 January 2020

The Old Priory really surprised and surpassed our expectations !! Quietly tucked away at 8 Priory Lane, Beechworth is this hidden gem of a location for quiet and comfortable holiday. Extremely clean, well managed and friendly staff to make your stay really affordable and memorable.. 5 stars....

Room tip: All rooms are clean and affordable ranging from single to double to family sized rooms.
Date of stay: December 2019
2  Thank John A
Reviewed 20 December 2019

I stayed here for 2 weeks while I was in Beechworth for a nursing placement. Walking through the building felt like I was back in time going to the boarding school in Picnic at Hanging Rock. I fully expected it to be haunted but had no such experiences - only the occasional possum running across the verandah.
My roon was basic but ample for my needs. No airconditioning but the pedestal fan worked well, for the most part. Parking was free and shaded and in a quiet street. Town centre was only a 5 minute walk or a minute's drive away.
The best part of my experience was the customer service - could not fault it. Jen, the manager, went over and above on multiple occasions. No request was too small. Would stay there again, but not in Summer.

Date of stay: December 2019
Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 7 November 2019 via mobile

I booked this o few months ago and thought it looked ok, I mean “I’m only staying one night, it can’t be too bad”.

This is a gem. It’s a great building steeped in Beechworth history. The welcome was honest and candid. I was shown to my room and made to feel very welcome. I was given a quick tour of the important things, dining room, toilets etc. The room was was immaculate!! Huge, with a double bed and three single beds. From there it was a short walk to the ablutions area, again immaculately clean.

I do need to complain about one experience that I missed out and that was a “haunting” I read in several places that the Priory was hounded and other guests had received their “haunting”!
Well I missed out!!!

On a more serious note, this is a wonderful place to stay if you’re in Beechworth and it’s only a very short walk into town

Date of stay: November 2019
Reviewed 30 December 2018 via mobile

Our family of three stayed in Miner’s Cottage 1, which we assume used to house miners and is quite close to the main priory building. The location is good, a 5-minute wall from the centre of town. The furnishings were suitably rustic in character - for example the ceilings were vaulted wood, the walls were unpainted brick and the shower was one of those arrangements where the shower head pours water into the middle of a pot, with a curtain surrounding the pot. And don’t expect lots of cupboard storage space! But all kinda cute.

Materials for a continental breakfast are provided (cereals, bread, jams, tea, instant coffee) and the cost was very reasonable: in the vicinity of $160 for the night, in peak Xmas/New Year period.

I didn’t see inside the main building but my wife said that it was a bit eerie, and that it seemed that different parts of the building were in different styles and had been built at different times.

Date of stay: December 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 7 December 2018

We loved our time at the Priory. It is original and authentic and will transport you back in time to boarding school. It was perfect for a group of friends on the Great Vic Bike ride who were not interested in 5 star luxury but delighted to experience a beautiful piece of history. Lovely to meet new owners Remu and Angela who will undoubtedly restore and improve this property with great respect.
Mary