Hotels.com
Jenni

Great price for the time

Review of The Old Priory
3.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 20 Dec 2019
I stayed here for 2 weeks while I was in Beechworth for a nursing placement. Walking through the building felt like I was back in time going to the boarding school in Picnic at Hanging Rock. I fully expected it to be haunted but had no such experiences - only the occasional possum running across the verandah.
My roon was basic but ample for my needs. No airconditioning but the pedestal fan worked well, for the most part. Parking was free and shaded and in a quiet street. Town centre was only a 5 minute walk or a minute's drive away.
The best part of my experience was the customer service - could not fault it. Jen, the manager, went over and above on multiple occasions. No request was too small. Would stay there again, but not in Summer.
Date of stay: December 2019
  • Official Site
    AU$95
0.3 km from The Old Priory
Restaurant
Outdoor Pool area with lounge chairs and outdoor dining
    AU$178
    AU$119
    AU$178
Pool
    AU$179
0.8 km from The Old Priory
View more hotels in Beechworth
All reviews miners cottage quiet street comfortable stay cereal vegemite ensuite
Selected filters
Reviewed 7 November 2019 via mobile

I booked this o few months ago and thought it looked ok, I mean “I’m only staying one night, it can’t be too bad”.

This is a gem. It’s a great building steeped in Beechworth history. The welcome was honest and candid. I was shown to my room and made to feel very welcome. I was given a quick tour of the important things, dining room, toilets etc. The room was was immaculate!! Huge, with a double bed and three single beds. From there it was a short walk to the ablutions area, again immaculately clean.

I do need to complain about one experience that I missed out and that was a “haunting” I read in several places that the Priory was hounded and other guests had received their “haunting”!
Well I missed out!!!

On a more serious note, this is a wonderful place to stay if you’re in Beechworth and it’s only a very short walk into town

Date of stay: November 2019
Reviewed 30 December 2018 via mobile

Our family of three stayed in Miner’s Cottage 1, which we assume used to house miners and is quite close to the main priory building. The location is good, a 5-minute wall from the centre of town. The furnishings were suitably rustic in character - for example the ceilings were vaulted wood, the walls were unpainted brick and the shower was one of those arrangements where the shower head pours water into the middle of a pot, with a curtain surrounding the pot. And don’t expect lots of cupboard storage space! But all kinda cute.

Materials for a continental breakfast are provided (cereals, bread, jams, tea, instant coffee) and the cost was very reasonable: in the vicinity of $160 for the night, in peak Xmas/New Year period.

I didn’t see inside the main building but my wife said that it was a bit eerie, and that it seemed that different parts of the building were in different styles and had been built at different times.

Date of stay: December 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 7 December 2018

We loved our time at the Priory. It is original and authentic and will transport you back in time to boarding school. It was perfect for a group of friends on the Great Vic Bike ride who were not interested in 5 star luxury but delighted to experience a beautiful piece of history. Lovely to meet new owners Remu and Angela who will undoubtedly restore and improve this property with great respect.
Mary

Date of stay: November 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 December 2018

This is a delightful place to stay. It is December 2018 & I had the pleasure to stay here again. I also met the new owners who have been here a month. They are making changes already which I noticed. More powerpoints in rooms and the wifi working!! Included in a great price per night, you get a continental breakfast included. Coffee & tea all day. Great areas to sit and relax, spacious rooms and a lovely place to explore all around. Hots showers as well. Parking is on the street but it is a quiet street and no problems with this. Very close to main street and all walking distance.

Date of stay: December 2018
Reviewed 17 September 2018

Very characterful olde worlde building and in need of a lot of renovation, but we read the reviews so we knew to expect that. We stayed in the huge Chapel room by reception so everyone walked past to their rooms at all times. No ensuite to had to traverse creaky corridors and stair in the early hours. Rickety floors, well worn beds and furniture, but hey, very cheap, central, and self-serve breakfast included. Clean throughout, hot showers, nice towels, friendly staff, though they did disappear after 5pm. Unfortunately, no control over lively groups who tended to noisily take over and mess up communal areas. Read all the reviews and decide for yourself - but don't complain as its clear what you get......

Room tip: Read the reviews.....
Date of stay: September 2018