Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 August 2017

Not a bad word to say about my time spent at The Cook! The rooms and facilities were well kept. The bar downstairs was always entertaining and served some great food. The staff and everyone I met were quite happy and helpful. I made many good friends and memories in this gem!

Date of stay: August 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 December 2016 via mobile

Pros - quite cheap, very good bar downstairs with decent live music, friendly enough staff.

Cons- Had to wade through filthy ankle-deep water down a long alley to enter. Kitchen had no washing liquid, towels, plates, mugs or bowls & was filthy - residents seemed to have given up on life with the exception of the stereotypical screaming drunk English girls intent on waking everyone up at 4am on a Tuesday morning.
1st night I was given a bed with most of the wooden slates missing resulting in the mattress sinking into the bunk below. When I told a member of staff about it, they moved me to a room with no one in it. It hadn't been cleaned in months (was told the usual residents were on extended holiday in Bali). Very messy, but the bed was sound & mattress looked quite new. Fell asleep no bother. When the drunks woke me up that night I switched the light on to discover cockroaches- literally hundreds of them - on my pillow, in my bed, in my bag, on the floor, crawling up the walls. I went through and slept on the couch in the living room.
In the morning I went to the bar, said I was checking out early (had booked up for a week) - refund was given no questions asked.
Took a shower (no locks) and when I got back to the bedroom, the place had been scrubbed clean & there was a large Chinese family cooking eggs on a portable BBQ.
I picked up my bags and ran.
From years of staying in backpackers hostels, this was by far and away my worst experience.

Date of stay: March 2016
Trip type: Travelled solo
4  Thank TheGingerYeti
Reviewed 15 November 2016

Good points were as follows.....relatively inexpensive, will store luggage, clean linen, close to Sydney airport....bar shut at 11 p.m.

Not so good points are ......Bar......this is definitely a party place.....topless barmaids.....loud....pounding music.....not for families for sure.....feels very "edgy"

Room.......musty smelling, no telephone, no alarm, security not apparent.

How did this place get 4 stars on Trip Advisor .....earlier on ????

Date of stay: November 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Richard C
Reviewed 1 July 2016 via mobile

Is a good place to stay if u wanna party. It's not far from the bus and tram station.
The Girls room is kind of renovated.
The other rooms are ok.
It's sure not the best Hostel i've ever been but i had lots of fun.

Date of stay: June 2016
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 23 March 2016

Great place to stay if you want to party! There was a fight amongst some of the patrons whilst I was staying and everyone was banished to their rooms and not allowed out (with threat of immediate eviction if anyone strayed into the common room) which was a very odd way of dealing with the scrap. Not been banished to my room in years!
The place is filthy, definitely in need of an upgrade, but you get what you pay for, it was dirt cheap. Fun for a few nights, but couldn't do it more long term.

Date of stay: March 2016