“Great food in beautiful location”

Ripples at Chowder Bay
Ranked #6 of 139 Restaurants in Mosman
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Mosman
Description: Ripples Chowder Bay, located in Mosman, is on the Taronga Zoo to Balmoral foreshore walk and offers magnificent views of the famous Clifton Garden's Bay. Its opening marked a momentous occasion, as it was the first time in over 100 years that the general public could enter this historic space, once reserved for secret military operations to defend Sydney Harbour. Featuring a modern Australian menu with European influences, Head Chef Kristian Gamble uses only the freshest seasonal produce to create simple flavoursome dishes. Guests have a good selection of share plates, pasta or more substantial main dishes that reflect the seasons. This fully licensed and BYO waterfront restaurant is open for Breakfast on Saturdays and Sundays and Lunch & Dinner 7 days a week. Perfect for dining with a group, a special celebration or a nice romantic meal for two, Ripples Chowder Bay has become one of the top favourites amongst Mosman, Cremorne and Neutral Bay locals.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

We came here for Valentine's Day dinner and had a very enjoyable evening. We had deliberately booked an early (6pm) sitting so that we could enjoy the stunning view and were not disappointed on that account. The setting and location are excellent, especially for meals during daylight hours.

The food was all very good, we enjoyed everything we ate and the service was also pretty good. The reason that this has not been given a 5 rating is that when I had booked the table, weeks before Valentine's Day, the restaurant had emailed me asking if we would like a special oyster and champagne deal on arrival. I politely declined informing them that I am allergic to oysters. Upon arrival we were both given a glass of champagne, which we just assumed was part of the Valentine's Day set menu. After 5 minutes or so a waiter approached and tried to give us a tray of oysters - I told him I was allergic and that I had already informed the restaurant of this and he said 'but you've ordered them' - I clearly had not; I have been allergic to oysters my whole life, I would not forget my allergy all of a sudden! My allergy is bad enough that my husband does not eat them either. The waiter went away and a manager came over and I explained, she gave a half-hearted apology and offered us a free glass of champagne each. When we got the bill, we had been charged for the first 2 glasses of champagne.

Not a huge drama, but certainly enough to turn this restaurant from a 5 star to 4 star experience.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

The food is delicious, with a good menu selection for vegetarians. The wine has a good mix of Australian and international wines without offering too much choice. The service is friendly and tentative without being intrusive. The views are spectacular, so book early so you can get their before sunset. Its location is beautiful, but a bit out of the way so we found it difficult to get a cab or Uber home, so you might want to think about driving yourself. A great location for a romantic dinner.

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

So yes the view and setting is exceptional. But was is appealing is the marriage of the service and the food.
Every dish was a 10 out of 10. The prawns , pate , mushrooms , swordfish and the lamb ragu .
The cocktails and desserts was also par excellence.
But again what was so impressive and what made it truly enjoyable is the service , excellent customer service. The young man we had was very impressive. We have been now twice in one year and looking forward to returning , thank you for a lovely experience. Highly recommend.

Reviewed 28 March 2018

What an outstanding outlook onto the harbour to sit and dine at. Dinner was enjoyable with excellent service. The venue was a short walk from the parking. My only concern would be in taking an elderly person with you and how they could reach the venue easily.

Reviewed 14 March 2018

Evening dinner for four in an unbelievable setting. Food and service match the setting. The sort of place that makes you love Sydney. Perhaps, reading some reviews, they don’t deal with large groups so well but in our experience there was nothing to fault. Perhaps some people just have bad luck!

SydneyRestaurantGrp, Owner at Ripples at Chowder Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2018

Thank you review. We're so pleased to hear you enjoyed the food, service & atmosphere at Ripples Chowder Bay. We hope to welcome you back to dine with us again in the future!