“Italy by The Spit”

Price range: USD 8 - USD 30
Cuisines: Italian, Street Food
Good for: View, Groups
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The team from Ormeggio at The Spit brings you a casual waterside diner 'Chiosco By Ormeggio'. BYO and barefoot-friendly, Chiosco By Ormeggio is a real Italian trattoria by the sea, with killer views. Serving more traditional Italian meals and take away options at lunch. Plus, our high tech awning and heating system guarantees us against inclement weather all year round.
Reviewed 6 November 2017

It was a dreary day but the atmosphere was warm as was the staff welcome. This place has a great vibe and the service and food back that up.
We don't tend to order huge amounts of food so between four we had excellent bread with olive oil, feather light calamari, four entree size pasta dishes and a rocket salad. All but one of the pasta dishes were good - the wagyu gnocchi a standout - but all four of us disliked the taste of the dish with tuna and bottarga. I don't think it was the bottarga but it tasted metallic in some way. I think it was taken off the bill but I didn't check.
The wines by the glass list is a bit restrictive and a number are expensive. However we had an excellent bottle of Sicilian vermentino.

The experience was really enjoyable - we had a recent holiday in Italy and felt like we had returned for a few hours.

TheOrmeggioGroup, Front Office Manager at Chiosco by Ormeggio, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2017

Thank you for your honest feedback Mark!
It's great to hear that you enjoyed your meal with us. I'll be sure to pass on your notes to the chef, we appreciate any opportunity to continue to improve.
We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 15 October 2017 via mobile

I have been there with 3 of my friends for one of them birthday and we really enjoy it. Thanks to Ivo, Dario and all the guy that gave us an amazing lunch.
We come back for sure!

TheOrmeggioGroup, Front Office Manager at Chiosco by Ormeggio, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2017

Thank you for celebrating with us! We're so happy to hear that you your lunch with us and I'll be sure to pass on your kind words to the team. We look forward to seeing you again very soon!

Reviewed 25 September 2017 via mobile

I have visited Chiosco now twice, once as a group of friends for a birthday lunch second with my partner for an intimate dinner. The degustation menu for lunch is quite different and more expansive than the dinner menu but both are wonderful. The food was sensational and the service faultless. Easy parking is only a short walk away and being a pretty waters edge location makes it a worthwhile experience. Can’t wait to go again in Summer.

1  Thank Fee K
TheOrmeggioGroup, Front Office Manager at Chiosco by Ormeggio, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2017

Grazie Fee! It's great to hear you enjoyed your meals with us and I'll be sure to pass on your kind words to the team. We offer our Sharing Feast for both lunch and dinner, it's a great way to try all the chefs favourites. We look forward to seeing you again very soon!

Reviewed 4 September 2017

The food is very tasty and a very good Italian mix but the shared platters were so small and despite the lovely location on a wharf surrounded by water and boats, the feeling of being ripped off does not create a wonderful experience so I would not go back

TheOrmeggioGroup, Front Office Manager at Chiosco by Ormeggio, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2017

Hi Reallyupset2014, thank you for your honest feedback. It's a shame to hear you were not completely satisfied. If you ever find that you’re unhappy with your meal in the future, please do not hesitate to tell your waiter so that the chef can replace or fix your meal as needed. We would much prefer you leave the restaurant satisfied than still hungry! I'll be sure to pass on your feedback to the chef and we hope to see you again sometime in the future.

Reviewed 20 August 2017 via mobile

The location was nice, we had the late afternoon lunch sitting and the place was not crowded but they still felt the need to seat us so close to other diners that we had to move the table to get into our seat (and avoid hitting the people behind us).

The service was not as attentive as I would have expected we had to call out to staff to get their attention multiple times, at one point because we couldn't get their attention we had to go to the counter to ask for wine glasses (there were only two other tables so they were not run off their feet).

The food was OK but not 5 star either. The bruschetta entree just tasted of mayonnaise, it was thick and overpowered the other ingredients. The barramundi main was watery. A thick cut of barramundi is difficult to cook but at those prices I would have expected it to be cooked better.

It was average, not a great meal or experience but not a bad one either but I probably won't go back.

TheOrmeggioGroup, Front Office Manager at Chiosco by Ormeggio, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2017

Hi Annie M, Thank you for your honest feedback. It's a shame to hear that you did not enjoy your meal and I'll be sure to pass your feedback on to the Restaurant Manager so that we can continue to improve. We hope you will try us again some time in the near future because we would love to see you again!