“disappointing.... disappointing....”

Price range: USD 54 - USD 127
Cuisines: Italian, Contemporary, Cafe
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Ormeggio at The Spit specialises in contemporary Italian cuisine with a focus on Chef Alessandro's home region, Lombardia. The spectacular water views are matched by the sensational food and acclaimed wine list. Ormeggio at The Spit has Two Chef Hats in the SMH Good Food Guide and is in Gourmet Traveller's Top 100 Australian restaurants. For the full Ormeggio experience we highly recommend trying our degustation menu with matching wines. Right next door Ormeggio has a more casual sister restaurant, "Chiosco By Ormeggio" - an Italian street food inspired, casual diner. BYO and barefoot friendly, don't forget to visit Chiosco while in the area! Ormeggio also offers a relaxed and private boutique wedding venue providing a unique backdrop of stunning Middle Harbour and Pearl Bay. Making it the perfect waterfront venue for intimate wedding receptions in the beautiful Northern Beaches in Sydney. Our weddings team are experts in delivering a unique, intimate and beautiful waterside wedding venue that your guests are certain to fall in love with and which will create the perfect backdrop for your wedding photographs. ​
Reviewed 13 February 2018

Despite my banker's prior warning, I took my chance to enjoy lunch with my family in late Dec. How disappointing! The food is OK however the service received was beyond belief. My 2 yo son had his moment because his juice was removed from his sight due to inappropriate wine glass used to serve him. Then we had 2 serving people give their 'look' on me & rolled their eyes. Frankly I instantly had no more mood to eat there. I received 3 apologies during the whole 2-hour session but it could not recoup a shameful experience received. Complained to the owner but only to receive half-hearted offer being $150 voucher with various restrictive conditions. I gave the voucher away.
I won't be bothered coming back and would not recommend to true foodies seeking great service.
0.5 star for service
3 stars for food
0.5 star for owner's handling this issue

1  Thank Lawrence C
TheOrmeggioGroup, Owner at Ormeggio at The Spit, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2018

Hi Lawrence, we feel this conversation has gone on long enough privately so in this case won’t be offering further comments in this public forum.

Reviewed 5 February 2018 via mobile

We dined here the other night. The service was excellent and the food was divine with so many flavours and the presentation was outstanding. The views were lovely as you looked out the big windows to the harbour. We had the degustation menu and the staff now their food and wine and they are so passionate about it. If you want elegance and a great dining experience then it’s a must dine experience. I do think it was a little expensive

TheOrmeggioGroup, Front Office Manager at Ormeggio at The Spit, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2018

Grazie Pauliqld! We're so glad to hear that you enjoyed your dinner with us and I'll be sure to pass on your kind words to the team. Regarding the prices, our chefs source the best produce from Australia, Spain and Italy, and some of the courses require time consuming and technically challenging processes to prepare the dish, which does mean the price is a little higher than a traditional Italian restaurant. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 27 January 2018 via mobile

I have been to Ormeggios half a dozen times. I have never had a bad experience.

Go at lunch or early evenings in Summer to take in the gorgeous views. Even without the views, the food and service are well worth the patronage!

TheOrmeggioGroup, Front Office Manager at Ormeggio at The Spit, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2018

Grazie mille Ali! We love hearing from our guests, especially some as loyal as yourself. We hope to see you again very soon!

Reviewed 26 January 2018 via mobile

A must to include for a special occasion or just for a fabulous dining experience.
The staff are friendly and knowledgeable and the service cannot be faulted. The food was amazing, innovative, visually pleasing and delicious.

Grazie! We're so happy to hear you enjoyed your experience with us and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 18 January 2018 via mobile

What can I say...excellent food, expensive but worth it, loved every course and the waiter’s explanations. We had the trip through Spain menu which I highly recommend! Davido was the best waiter!!

TheOrmeggioGroup, Front Office Manager at Ormeggio at The Spit, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2018

Grazie!
We're so glad to hear that you enjoyed your "Trip Via Spain" degustation. Our chefs source the best produce from Australia and Italy, and some of the courses require time consuming and technically challenging processes to prepare the dish, which does mean the price is a little higher than a traditional Italian restaurant. We hope to see you again soon.