Lowest prices for your stay
Priceline
AU$232
Go to your Happy Price
Michael J
London, United Kingdom

Feeling let down

3.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 18 Feb 2024
We have stayed at Ridges regularly on our visits to Australia and this is the first time we have felt let down. First we found that a previous bar credit coupon had been cancelled and no apology. Then we tried to order a dish at Smithys bar which was on the menu is the room to be told it wasn't on their menu and their ice cream choices were different. Finally I followed the instructions to minimise towel replacement as part of the hotels green initiative which offered a credit as inducement to be told on check out that it wouldn't be applied to our bill. Then why offer it??? I wasn't worried about the money it was the principle. Management needs to tidy its act !!!
Date of stay: January 2024
    AU$223
2.6 km from Rydges Sydney Airport Hotel
View more hotels in Mascot
6,127 results
All reviews across the road international terminal t bus next morning an early flight rooftop bar sydney airport comfortable bed king room car park convenient location room service domestic flight mini bar buffet breakfast an overnight stay stayed one night
Selected filters
Reviewed 18 February 2024 via mobile

We stayed a night with my family in between flight from Hong Kong and an early flight to Queenstown NZ the next morning, so staying right at the airport seemed like the best option. We had two plain but decent (if not overly clean) inter-connecting rooms, one for us and one for the kids, and a large bathroom between the two. We were tired after a long flight and eager to shower, have some quick room service and go to bed early.

This is when things went downhill. I had showered the kids first, dried them and then got in the shower myself. After the shower I buried my face and head in a towel (that had been folded like a clean towel should), to find it STANK like an old sweaty gym towel that had been used again and again for months on dirty, sweaty skin, sitting in a smelly gym bag, and then eventually dried. I was horrified. I tried another towel, and it was the same! Every single towel in our room was stinky and also visibly dirty as I started to inspect them! And they had been folded and left out for us as clean towels - AND I had dried both my children in them. YUK.

I called housekeeping to bring some clean towels, explained what had happened and they didn’t seem at all shocked. In fact they didn’t even apologize. They eventually just brought some more towels saying ‘you can try if these are better’. They weren’t. One of them smelled so bad I almost vomited, and was dry wrenching for a while.

After that was very hard to eat the room service dinner as I was seriously worried about their level of hygiene in the hotel. I have never had such a disgusting experience in my life.

When we checked out in a hurry the next morning I told the receptions about this experience. They said I should message the manager which I didn’t have time to do. I thought the manager should have messaged US to apologize and explain how come the hotel uses dusty towels in their rooms! Surely this is against health and safety rules?? The hotel had our contact details of course.

I’m surprised they can keep their hotel license with such lack of hygiene standards. I would never ever go back to a Rydges hotel again, even if it was the only option around. This is simply not acceptable.

Even in the simplest, cheapest hotel you still expect to have a clean towel. This was the most disgusting experience I have ever had in a hotel / motel / B&B, and I have traveled all over Africa, India, US, Asia etc. NOT what you would expect on arrival to Sydney, Australia!

Room tip: Bring your own towels!
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Liisahalme
Reviewed 13 February 2024

the room was spacious and we were accommodated with the bed setup requested however the bathroom had a strong sweat smell, like a gym. the carpet in the room was also thin, and in need of replacing. the room and bathroom were a bit old and tired in general.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 13 February 2024

Fantastic bedding, quality sheets comfy pillows and duvets, clean tidy and comfortable. Shower was fantastic with quality products, feels like a luxury spa. Would definitely stay again and highly recommend to others. Pull out sofa was uncomfortable and hard basically just springs and could do with an upgrade otherwise everything was great.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 6 February 2024

It is a great location, and Smithy's ground-floor restaurant is always lovely. As a bonus, we went to the rooftop bar (never been there before and there was a great view from there overlooking the international planes. Room neat and tidy (would like a little more room though)

Date of stay: January 2024
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 February 2024 via mobile

Last stayed here a number of years ago and was not impressed. Booked again to be near the international terminal.
A big change! From the friendly welcome at reception to the ability to take your trolley to the room, to the close proximity to departures this is good.
Rooms have all you need, if a bit utilitarian and the bed was very comfortable. Breakfast was have as much or as little as you want. Want just a croissant, no problem and pay accordingly.
On my experience will use it again.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple