“Charismatic Café”

Belgrave Cartel
Ranked #10 of 421 Restaurants in Manly
Price range: AU$5 - AU$36
Cuisines: Italian, Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Manly
Description: At Belgrave Cartel we believe in the saying 'Mia Casa e' tua casa 'Our house is your house'. Our venue was built based on our Italian heritage & family home. Good Food. Good Wine & Good times. Everybody's welcome as part of the family.] Belgrave Cartel is a Cafe by day, and an Italian restaurant by night in the heart of Manly. Serving the best co tasty cocktails & a delicious variety of wine - Open 7 days for breakfast and 6 nights for dinner. ​ Belgrave Cartel is one of Manly's local spots, with chilled out vibes and super friendly service. This wee gem is a cafe by day turned restaurant/bar by night, with all dishes being Italian inspired. The menu has the choice to accommodate shared plates or individuals plates It's dark, it's funky and very urban chic with white-tiled walls and a view straight into the kitchen.
Reviewed 3 August 2019 via mobile

You'd think that you're walking into a dilapidated terrace home in Newtown but the setting is much better than that. Welcomed by the main hipster man and moved through to our table. The chandelier hanging in the main section of the café adds to the visual enjoyment along with the many Rennaisance prints covering the wall. There is also an interesting tiled wall you'd expect to see in an underground train station circa 1930s with Belgrave St plaque embedded in the structure. Huge presentation of coffee and honey sit proudly on the half wall.
There are a few zones in this establishment. The other one reminds me of St Christopher's in Amsterdam, a long outdoor area with a timber fence backdrop seating 2-4 people at elevated tables. In addition, you can always try grabbing a table out the front to simply enjoy the warmth of the sun or just watch the police cars go by:)
So the food...great mate! Ordered the 'Mafia' scrambled eggs, mushroom, sourdough with bacon as an additional side serve and a few other vegies thrown in fyi enhance the colour palette. Food was plentiful. I struggled to get through it (thanks Belgrave!). Really enjoyed this setting and breakfast.
The coffee was strong and the rest of our group also enjoyed their breakfast.
Service was excellent. There are enough staff to ensure you have the best dining experience.
Stylish WC. Not sure about wifi for the tourist. Forgot to ask.

Date of visit: August 2019
Belgrave C, Guest Relations Manager at Belgrave Cartel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2019

Hi Billy,

Thanks so much for the detailed review. We're glad you had a great time and hope we can see you back at our home away from home really soon.

Best,

Reviewed 31 July 2019 via mobile

A friend booked the private room at the Belgrave central for her 50th birthday lunch...it was fabulous! The room was subtlety decorated in shabby chic to suit the decor and fresh flowers were a pleasing addition (you have to go there to see how well this worked)...she hadn’t even organised this ...even better!

For $60 a head it was great value for money...high quality food and very generous servings.. individual bar tabs were organised which made the day run smoothly. Service was amazing with dedicated staff. Nonnas lasagna was a highlight!!

1  Thank B4548HBlizh

Hi!

Thanks so much for this review. We loved having you all at our place and are so glad Charmaine especially had a great time.
Look forward to seeing you back soon.

Ciao,

Reviewed 31 July 2019

Based on the rave reviews of this restaurant, I gave it a go. It looked a bit pricey for me, but I love to support small independently owned bistros and cafes. This was going to be my splurge night in Manly! (You see where this is going.) When I received my glass of red, I thought, Huh, that looks painfully skimpy at $14 a pop. I did something I don't normally do--I looked around at the other patrons' wine glasses, which were filled quite nicely, thank you. Much as I hate to say it, my glass was half empty--literally, not figuratively. Chin up, mate. Dinner's on the way! My $29 entree of risotto, fin fish and shellfish came out on a tapas-sized plate, sans the fish it was supposed to have in it. Of the six mussels on the plate, three had mussels in them (three were filled with risotto) and the fin fish was nowhere to be seen (they snuck calamari onto the plate, which was not listed on the menu for this dish). When I asked the owner where the fish was, he responded, "Oh, it's on there, crumpled up." No, it wasn't, and no it wasn't. Yes, I did look around at other diners' portions (no, this is not something I normally do); yes, they were full-sized plates with full-sized entrees. The worst part about this experience: They completely took advantage of a well-intentioned customer--as in screwed me--and none of it was enjoyable or respectful.

1  Thank AT1776
Reviewed 26 July 2019 via mobile

This gets better and better after you open the door. First you see the cluttered walls and bench, second you choose a small rustic table, third you check the modern brunch menu, fourth you taste the great coffee and the interesting food combinations. The So Sweet with sweet potato, smoked salmon, peas with coriander yoghurt, bunches of pea leaves, and topped with finely sliced celery. Yes!

1  Thank Jayarr875

Hi,

Thanks so much for your review. The Sweet As is a house favourite and we're so glad you enjoyed it, as well as our place.

Cheers,

Reviewed 8 July 2019

This place is on the main drag in Manly across the road from the beach, so we'd ditched the kids at the closed beach and snuck over to grab a coffee.

The coffee was pretty good (I'm relaxed but she has "standards") so that was already a tick, but the jaffle (what Aussie's call a toasted sandwich) was outstanding. Who knew you could out eggs benedict in a jaffle, well, Belgrave Cartel did and it's a winner. At $10 for a jaffle it ain't that cheap but damn was it tasty! Hit the joint for a coffee and a jaffle!

1  Thank zesdead23

Hey thanks for stopping by and for taking the time to leave a review.

Best,