“Disgraceful”

Ranked #96 of 328 Restaurants in Manly
Price range: USD 9 - USD 25
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Manly
Description: Beaches Pizzeria & Cafe as it was originally known, began in 1989. However the baking tradition began years before with a village bakery operating at the present location. Michael Cummins the owner bought the business in 2000 and expanded it to its current size.The hole in the wall known as beaches pizzeria and cafe was literally that, four tables a sandwich bar and a deck oven. Its reputation for the best pizza this side of the harbour bridge has grown to the present day, where people from all walks of life gather in the surrounds of an unpretentious ambiance to casually see out the evening over a glass of wine and some pizza.“Beaches” as its known to the locals has expanded over the years, now encompassing two shops and continually going its own way. No where in the world will you see wine stored upside down around the walls except for beaches, says Mike, we came up with this idea and made all the racks and tables with the help of local craftsman. The slab timber floor rescued from sawmills on the north coast of New South Wales, is a living thing, expanding and contracting with the seasons, and keeping us and our customers ever present, in a throw away society says Mike.“We made a commitment to our business and customers, and we don’t cut corners on quality” says Mike.What has kept beaches at the forefront of the food/wine business over the years is commitment, we are committed to the staff and they to the customers, Our manager is 21 with an average age being 23. The staff are easy going and friendly, down to earth” says Mike.What is in store for our 20 year old business you ask? Well next year like any 21 year old we are going celebrate, we have come a long way from humble beginnings, our technology has advanced as has our desire to reduce our greenhouse footprint , we now use 30% less energy to make our pizza.When the first pizza was made at beaches our manager was one year old, I trust we have the foresight to recognise the potential of young people to keep beaches a leader in the food and wine business, so that our customers and their friends can continue to call beaches their home away from home.
Reviewed 29 December 2016 via mobile

I visited Beaches Pizza this evening - something we did consistently 10 years ago, and less and less in the last 5 years due to an obvious decline in food quality and customer service (this is consistent, not just based on my visit tonight).
I ordered one entree (small) pizza with cheese and shallots, one large supreme with prawns and one large cheese pizza with half olives. This was via the phone, and I obviously misheard the lady taking my order when she said $51.30. When I arrived I owed $61.30. I asked for a receipt and noted that my plain pizza with only half olives was recorded as (and I was required to pay for) a Hawaiian pizza plus half olives. I asked to have this reviewed however I was directed to look at my pizza, which was not per the receipt but rather had the limited toppings I had requested. I asked again to have this reviewed (a margarita pizza of plain cheese is $20.50 yet I was charged for the ham I didn't request and the pineapple too plus olives) but again was refused. Utterly disgraceful and very rude service - to be charged for a more expensive pizza when ordering the most basic and cheap of toppings is just rude, then to be shut down no matter what you say is just awful. I wish this place was as it used to be.

5  Thank Alanna O

Reviewed 21 December 2016

I can't say enough about this establishment. Great food, great wine & great atmosphere!
Highly recommended if you are in Manly. Just off the main strip, full of locals so it must be good.
I will definitely be back.
:-)

mike c, Owner at Beaches Pizza Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2018

Thanks Alan much appreciated

Reviewed 8 December 2016 via mobile

Food arrived stone cold after a 95 minute wait (NINETY FIVE MINUTES). Asked to cancel order but was told they were just "busy". BUSY? It's over an hour and a half wait. That's something else entirely. Won't be back as it's far from an isolated experience, their monopoly over local pizza should not be an excuse not to try... avoid.

1  Thank ninaandluke
mike c, Owner at Beaches Pizza Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2016

Hi thanks for your review, we had a shocker that night , training people on a busy night is no excuse but it's the best I've got. We had two bad reviews for this night . Please contact Mike Cummins for dinner and my apologies.
Ps being the best is not and excuse for not trying and we will show you should you give us another chance.

Reviewed 8 December 2016 via mobile

Ordered a pizza minus the sour cream, for the fifth time in a row they didn't care enough to exclude it.
Usually let it slip but their lazy, disinterested attitude was too much and had to return the meal, uneaten.
These jokers don't care, at all, no apologies given, just "well I wrote your order down correctly".... so angry/hungry..... avoid avoid, there are better places who actually care what you want....

Hi , sorry about sour creme incident, we were training people and the Cisco with the guacamole and sour creme is sensational. However you did not get what you ordered. Please contact us and ask for Mike Cummins , you have dinner for free and my apologies.

Reviewed 8 September 2016

We went here for a casual family dinner and enjoyed it very much. Small restaurant serving pizza and salad. Cosy atmosphere. Good pizza and plenty of choice. Reasonable price. Good service. Beer and wine is available but a little pricey.

mike c, Owner at Beaches Pizza Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2016

Thanks so much for your great review. Sorry you thought our wine and beer was expensive. We have many inexpensive choices for both , please make a point of asking for specials when you come again. Wines are from $6 and we have 2 beers on tap plus 14 bottle beers. I hope I'm there to help you when you come again. Regards
Mike Cummins