All reviews free parking great place to stay hostel fridge ensuite
Reviewed 16 September 2014

This was a less expensive alternative for me and my daughter who was 15 at the time. Mostly students and a nice environment. Loved it, would stay there again. This is for backpackers and people on a budget

Room Tip: They are all pretty awesome rooms. the 3 girls we stayed with were nice. You get to meet alot of nice people here.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank atn092011
Reviewed 1 September 2014

We stayed here for quite awhile. The beach was very close. Staff were friendly. Rooms clean. Nice common area. Very nice area without the hustle and bustle of central Sydney. I would recommend this hostel. One of the nicest I stayed in while in Australia.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Poorly ventilated, pretty cramped rooms with almost inaccessible power points are the least of the problems at this place. If you're accustomed to a modern approach to people who don't have white skin, this isn't the place for you. All but two of the staff were invariably unhelpful and terse to our group, but not at all to people with the "correct" complexion. They actually kept my misplaced sunglasses for themselves instead of returning them from the front desk. They did, however, happily take down my personal details without making eye contact. This kind of mentality wouldn't be out of place in country Queensland a few decades ago.

Apart from the staff and the rooms, the facilities are a bit below standard but acceptable, there's a pool that's not awful and a pool table that'll play some tricks on you even if you're a shark! The best part, as always with hostels, is the varied and friendly people you'll meet, although those were the minority here, at least when we stayed there.

Big plus is Collaroy beach is 60 seconds away. That's the best bit by far.

Room Tip: It probably goes without saying, but you might want a room away from the common area.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank A T
James D, General Manager at Sydney Beachouse YHA, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear AT,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel. I certainly take seriously the allegations you have made, and would appreciate a meeting to discuss further.
In my nine years here, I have never seen racism from our staff, though I have asked a number of guests to leave for making racial slurs against others staying here. It would in fact be against any sensible business model for the tourism industry to be prejudiced toward someone from another country, let alone against common and moral decency. It is also against the YHA charter, which makes it clear that all people are welcome.
If you could please contact the hostel and ask to speak to me, I would be very thankful.
My door is always open to any guest who has a concern of any sort. My job is to make your stay comfortable, but in order to do so, I need to know of any problems to address.
Regards,

James Dakin

Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a week, the rooms are stuffy, smell pretty badly, and could use a good cleaning. The staff were polite and helpful. The hostel was only filled with construction workers and no one was really interested in meeting any one new. Also the location is pretty remote it's over an hour from the city, and theres not much to do. It's a pretty typical YHA hostel as in there is no atmosphere no mixed dorms and feels more like a cheap hotel vs a hostel. Though there is no better options for the area, so if you must go to north Sydney it's your best option.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed in a family room with ensuite bathroom in March. Room was comfortable and clean with lots of space for storing bags.

Bathroom had a small plumbing issue - the staff were very helpful but it didn't get fixed before we left (to be fair, we were out a lot and didn't really mention until late into our trip).

Staff were friendly and helpful.

Close to the beach but far from a lot of the popular tourist attractions. We had a car and used the car park next door which was excellent. Pretty sure there were bus routes nearby.

Would stay again!