“The closest you can get to real southern food in Wales!”

Hangfire Southern Kitchen
Ranked #2 of 123 Restaurants in Barry
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Finally managed to get a reservation here and it was well worth the wait. A very warm welcome through the door and we were promptly seated. Our waitress was fantastic and very funny throughout the whole evening.
We ordered starters of piggybacks (cracking crisps with pulled pork) and frickles. Both were amazing!
Mains were an assortment from the bbq for all. 4 empty plates. Everything was fantastic.
Smores for dessert aswell Yummy!

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Bad service, arrived at 7:30PM and did not receive starters until an hour had passed (8:30PM) and an hour and a half for the main course (9:00PM).

The food was moderately enjoyable, however it does not take that long to rustle up food which could quite easily have been bought in Asda or Tesco at a fraction of the price with the smoked flavour.

After providing constructive criticism, you failed to listen and have repeatedly deleted my comments. I realise you are trying to maintain as much positive publicity in light of an upcoming BBC Wales special featuring your food, however this is unacceptable.

Shame as you have great potential but avoiding listening to your customers is a road destined for failure. The Smokehouse in Pontcanna is a much better choice.

4  Thank Nick S
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

My husband and I visited Hangfire Southern Kitchen for lunch with high expectations after reading great reviews of the restaurant. It exceeded our expectations. We arrived early, but it was not a problem and we were seated quickly and Shauna came over to explain the menu and concept of the restaurant to us. She explained that everything was made in house including the sauces! The food was absolutely wonderful, good quality and nicely presented. Normally I do not have mustard but the in house mustard sauce was superb. We finished the meal by sharing a chocolate brownie and a s’mores.they were both excellent. Shauna was attentive, chatty and very friendly which enhanced the whole experience. It is
very reasonably priced for what you get. I am running out of superlatives for this restaurant, even their choice of music was great!! We will definitely be returning, if we can get a reservation!

1  Thank Sian789
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We love smoked food and this is a rare British restaurant that gives you a real flavour of the traditional American BBQ. Everything is made in house and the produce is top notch. I do like my BBQ sauce a bit spicier but that’s just personal taste. The staff were friendly and clearly knowledgable and made the whole experience more enjoyable. We will return.

1  Thank Mark H
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

This is a great place to eat. Looks so cool from the outside & just as cool inside. Place was full & atmosphere excellent. Service was friendly, relaxed & very efficient (Our waiter was Dom ). The food was outstanding, I lived in New Mexico & California & this American food was better! The flavours were stunning, will be back soon! I had the brisket & ribs & loved it. Great choice of craft beers also (I had Miami Weiss & Easy IPA)

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member