“hotel inspectors paradise”
Review of Corbett Arms Hotel

Corbett Arms Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tywyn
Corbett Arms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tywyn
Reviewed 5 July 2011

Having stayed in this hotel many years ago i thought it would be a nice bit of nostalgia to come back again. How wrong was I? Never have I seen such a change in an establishment. The staff are rude and dirty, think brundlefly meets skeletor and you'll be halfway there. The whole hotel needs to be demolished.
There was a young boy hanging around, whether he was the son of the owners or a local vagrant i don't know but he was very rude in his behaviour towards my partner and I.
Yes, the food wasn't bad but i'd find it hard to get potato waffles and baked beans wrong and i'm no gordon ramsey.
We had no sleep at all as it seems the owners had half the local ruffians for a party in the bar till the early hours. We didn't dare complain as some of them looked very rough and ready for trouble.
Considering this used to be one of the best hotels in the area I find it very upsetting to see it like this now.
Do not under any circumstance visit here, not even to ask for directions.

• Stayed: June 2011
23  Thank Al_the_king

Reviewed 22 June 2011

Went for Sunday Lunch with view to party booking later in year it was absoluely awful dont even think of going into conservatory hasnt been swept or dusted for years more flies cobwebs etc than anyone could think of. Food was dire , so needs avisit from Hotel Inspector .Could never suggest this place as somewhere to stay !!!!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
21  Thank fussyba32
Reviewed 8 June 2011

My family and I were visiting Tywyn, where this hotel is situated. We wanted somewhere to eat and on enquiring on the Wednesday what was available, this woman (the proprietor?) told us there were no meals available that night, and to come back on the Sunday for a lovely Sunday roast - trouble was, we were leaving on the Sunday! We eventually went to the Hotel on the Friday evening, and I felt under-dressed in my shorts and t-shirt. I needn't have worried because the place inside was so "Shakesperian", as my daughter called it! My husband ordered the mixed grill, only to be told "we haven't got that", so he chose a steak, our girls and me then chose our meals. My husband then asked for a pint of lager shandy, "No lemonade I'm afraid!", so he ordered something else, the girls ordered orange juice, and were given two glasses of very watery orange squash, and then I ordered a J20, only one flavour! When I came to pay for the meals and the drinks, I gave my debit card to the woman - "Can't take cards at the moment, its easier for us if you pay cash"!!!! I felt like walking out there and then! The woman then asked us where we were going to eat our meals, to which my husband replied "I don't know, we've never been here before". This young lad showed us to the conservatory that had seen better days, and out into the garden. All the sheep in Wales could have had a feast on the length of the grass in the garden, it was about 3 feet high! Next thing the proprietor came over to our table and told us that we hadn't settled the bill, to which I firmly replied "Yes I have". She said I didn't pay for the cider - we didn't even order any cider! The waitress apologised and said this other woman had got us mixed up with another family, and then came out with a pint glass of watery orange squash as a peace offering! The meals arrived, with a tiny scrap of salad garnish, and no salad cream available! Out came a small blob of mayonnaise in a huge bowl. Hence we didn't stay for pudding! The waitress and a young lad (who had great delight in shoving his hands down the front of his trousers) came and cleared our plates, and said "I hope this little episode hasn't stopped you from visiting us again". I have to say that we will not be visiting the Hotel for a meal again. In it's "hey day" it must have been a splendid place to stay, and we were very thankful that we didn't stay overnight at the hotel, having read the other reviews about this place.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
19  Thank Michelle B
Reviewed 1 May 2011

Heading back from Corris to Barmouth, and having tried many places to eat, (all full, I might add) we came accross the Corbett Arms hotel, we should have known that it wasn't up to much when we walked in to find no customers, and were greeted by two people that certainly didn't look like members of staff, we tried to order a couple of drinks from the bar,and started with a Guiness, NO GUINESS ! so tried gin & Tonic NO ICE ! most of the pumps were off. We were told that they were quiet because they had had a very busy afternoon and were just enjoying a quiet patch ! stupidly we ordered some food from the bar, my husband asked for deep fried haddock peices, NO HADDOCK PIECES !, so he had fish, chips and peas, I ordered a jacket potatoe and tuna (Safe option) after a long wait my husbands fish and chips came with NO PEAS ! (Aparently the chef forgot !) the chips were uncooked and the fish was dark brown and full of greese. After nibbling at our food we left rather promptly. The next day my husband wasn't too well, if you know what I mean !

Room Tip: Keep clear & Stay well away !
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
22  Thank simbadog4
Reviewed 16 November 2010

we had came down for the weekend to see family and friends an had nowhere to stay apart from this place, well i was very shocked on how much we were charged just for one night i would of had a better night in my car boot that is cold an damp just like this place, first off the people were not organised at all and there son was very rude by starring at my fiance and askin lots of questions, after the recepstion part they tuck us up to room 2 and a portable heater as there wasn't any heating on at all. the room was very dated an needed gutting as it was falling to pieces, the bed was very comfortable and presented very well but when we came to get a shower we spotted a notice on the wall saying this is a very old building with hot water tank on the roof and to be patient for the hot water to come through, 10 minutes had past and still cold so had a kettle wash instead, went out and had a good time till it came to bed time as when we were in bed we kept hearing noises all night on the landing i went to sleep apart from my fiance had the light on all night because she felt watched and hearing all the noises but we dont no what it was but the chair in the corner near window apparently the sponge padding actually sunk in like some body has just sat down so it had the shape of a bottom? very wierd but actually went when it started getting light out, eventually got up and tried the shower and to my amazement it was hot in about 10 seconds. went to get breakfast and all he tables were set out like there was loads of people staying and it was only us 2, apart from that we did get a really nice fried breakfast, juice and plenty of tea and very well presented plus people very friendly thank god the young lad wasn't their as he would of been magnetised to us eating. I am very glad that it was only the 1 night and it was NOT WORTH THE MONEY £85 a night just for the two of us, only if they spent a bit of money on getting decorated and best all do away with there HOT? water tank and get a propper heating system put in and it might get customers to come back and stay a few more times? NOT RECOMMENDED TO STAY IN THIS HELL HOLE!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
15  Thank s-preston52
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tywyn
5.7 km away
#2 of 3 in Tywyn
0.8 km away
Leahurst Bed & Breakfast

Recently Reviewed Hotels around Tywyn

Been to Corbett Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!