“Breakfast at Bertie's”

Ranked #7 of 47 Restaurants in Ruthin
Price range: USD 29 - USD 95
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Award-winning dining within historic castle setting complete with chandeliers. Romantic and memorable at realistic prices. Library bar with open fire. Acres of beautiful gardens.
Reviewed 6 February 2018

Very nice food and helpful staff, only had breakfast as we had pre-planned arrangements for the evening

Reviewed 15 January 2018 via mobile

I really expected better, The castle is set in nice grounds but on entering the main entrance there were a lot of old cigarette ends noticeably in the water by the lion statue tails, I find this more than off putting and obviously first impressions count and this was really not good!!!
On entering the reception area I noticed that it was very dark and gloomy the receptionist had to use a little torch to even read her paperwork this could be easily rectified by some nice soft lighting from table lamps on the desks.
The bar area is in need of a little makeover the chesterfield sofas are a little tatty and in need of an overhaul as are the carpets.
The Barman was pleasant and helpful but he kept disappearing leaving the guests frustrated that there was obviously no service.
We went through to the restaurant and were seated and asked if we would like tea or coffee, I asked what tea we could have and were offered twinnings teabags of various flavours. That seriously disappointed us! I think you should seriously rethink this for future improvements.
We had coffee that was nice tasting but not over hot and the coffee pot needed a jolly good clean.
The sandwiches were average the best being the chicken and chive, the egg was acceptable but the Ham was pretty poor as was the tuna ( perhaps rethink the fillings and make them a little more elegant!!)
The scones were purchased and smelt good but again were pretty average, scones the easiest things to make and taste great fresh.
The cake selection- macaroons were good, the ginger and vanilla cream tasted good and homemade, the cheesecake was tasteless and less than average even poor, and I feel I can say this about the raspberry panacotta, looked pretty but less than average as was the chocolate brownie that lacked butter and good chocolate the cinnamon shortbread was nice.
All in all less than average and I feel you need to up your game, no champagne was offered, you could of made yourselves an extra £30.00 if you coached your staff correctly.
Attention to detail is key and I feel there are a number of areas that need addressing here. Firstly the disgusting cigarette ends at the entrance!!!!

Reviewed 8 January 2018 via mobile

Myself and my wife stayed at Ruthin castle recently and we were very impressed with the hotel in general. It still has a castle feel to it, but with all of the modern day essentials.

We were not too impressed with the restaurant itself. My wife really enjoyed her parsnip soup starter but I didn’t enjoy my ham hock. It was extremely dry and didn’t enjoy it at all.

I had the belly pork for main which was lovely but my wife had the ribeye steak which was no better than a pub standard steak.

The decor of the restaurant itself is lovely and some of the food was nice. Just some disappointing dishes meaning we give it a 3 star rating

1  Thank kevkerry12345
Reviewed 5 January 2018

Spent a couple of hours here over the Festive Break having afternoon tea with friends.

Warm welcome was given to us all upon arrival, we were shown to our table by a friendly and polite waitress.

The food and service was excellent and met our expectations , we could not eat all of the food presented , the offer was made to box up and takeaway all of the cakes left.

Recommend if you are in the area and want an afternoon of being spoilt.

Reviewed 31 December 2017 via mobile

Proper food! Good choice and everything tasted fresh. Must have an excellent chef! The actual restaurant decor was just ok but if you’re not bothered about that then food and service is great.