“A late summer review”

Price range: USD 14 - USD 56
Cuisines: Pizza, Seafood
Good for: View
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: We are beautifully situated near the Menai Straits and are family friendly. Unfortunately we cannot accept dogs except Assistance Dogs.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Taken a while to put this review on as I was very annoyed at the time and didn’t want to post in anger. Conversations with other people who used to regularly eat at Dylans and have had similar experiences prompted me to post.
We usually visit four or five times throughout the season, not so much last year as the menu wasn’t as adventurous as it used to be, I would imagine the focus has been on the opening of Llandudno a fabulous looking building.
I reserved a table two weeks prior to our visit and requested a window seat if possible. We arrived and hurrah three window seats where free with no-one sat at them. We were directed however towards the dreaded centre table in front of the bar (seats get bashed a lot and lots of people pushing past). I politely asked the front of house if it would be possible to sit in the window as we had put it on our reservation. Her response “so did other people” and she walked off without even looking at me. (One of the tables remained empty until about 20 mins before we left). I sucked it up not wanting her rudeness affect our meal and we ordered our food. The pork special was really good, everything else was not. Over cooked burger, sloppy pizza and a tasteless lamb dish covered in a horrible thick marinade that was not remotely the flavour described on the menu.
One of the other reasons I visit Dylans is the fabulous jam. Always buy a couple of jars before we leave, so I got up from my chair, picked up four jars and popped them on the counter to pay. Just as I did a large group came in. The front of house lady looked past me and welcomed the group, showing them to their table. She then had a chat at the bar and finally headed back towards me to take my money, oh no actually she had seen another group coming in and was welcoming them. I again politely (whilst biting my tongue) asked if I could pay for my jam - “I have customers to serve” and again walked off. I am pretty sure I also classify as a customer and one who hadn’t paid yet for the meal or the jam. Eventually after seeing another table through she took my money. Looking back I wish I hadn’t been polite, I wish I had told her how rude she was and refused to pay for the bad food but to be honest I was so embarrassed and upset I just wanted to get out of there. Conversations with other previously regular customers go very much the same, food average service standoffish or just plain rude especially if you dare to complain. One friend was told that she ordered the wrong dish when she complained and in the end had to insist on seeing the original order to prove she hadn’t!
Arrogance has been the downfall of many a good restaurant, expecting customers to be grateful that they even got a table and then serving up average food. Some of the best food I have eaten and the most lovely nights I have had have been in this restaurant but if the last two years and several visits are anything to go by those days are over. Now I just need to figure out how to make that jam!

8  Thank Joanne W
Dylans_Restaurants, General Manager at Dylan's, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2018

Dear Joanne
Thank you for your Trip Advisor review. It was a bit of a blow to receive this 8 months after your visit and during what has been a successful and very busy Easter period where all our staff have worked so hard to keep up with our high standards and the demand of long and fast paced days.

We are grateful that you were a regular visitor and sad that you felt our previous menu was not as adventurous as it used to be. The menu planning and installation was not at all to do with opening our Llandudno restaurant.

We are confused as to whom you are referring to when you had such a cold response to moving tables. We do indeed get asked a lot to sit at windows and where we can we obviously oblige. There are times when people are celebrating a significant anniversary or we have been told of an imminent engagement that we really don't sit other people in these prized seats. Perhaps your desire to move was not understood to be a request and perhaps more of a comment on your part. We are also confused about the lamb dish covered in a thick marinade - our last dish was Moroccan lamb with a dry coating of spices with a cous cous side.

We are sorry that you were not attended to to pay for the jam in good time. I'm sure whoever it was dealing with you would have acknowledged you and if said 'I have customers to serve' would not have meant that rudely but explaining their short term absence. Sometimes when we are meeting and greeting we are also on the phone, selling vouchers, sitting people down and selling produce - it is a situation where we are perhaps analysing who came first and trying to do our very best by everyone. Perhaps we didn't get it right with yourself and I apologise for that. If you were annoyed we certainly would have preferred to have a discussion about that at the time so we can put it right rather than a very late review such as this.

It is sad that you think we are arrogant - we are actually a group of hospitality driven folk who are striving to offer great service with a smile. We go to many lengths to make people's stay enjoyable, fun and an overall great experience - last week alone we walked a customers dog so they could eat a quick lunch; we go shopping for banners and balloons for customers; we have taken children off parents so they can enjoy their lunch in relative peace and we try to place people where it is suitable and desired by them to enhance their time with us.

Perhaps you will visit us another day to try our new menu which was launched a month or so ago.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,713)

Reviewed 5 April 2018

Visited with grandchildren for booked lunch midweek. Staff attentive and courteous. However, the food came in batches - the adults linguini and mussels some time before the children's pizzas. Unfortunately, the mussels were quite gritty. These were replaced by a different starter quickly, when the staff were alerted. However, afterward the meal, I discovered that another in our party had a similar problem with gritty mussels on her last visit to Dylans in Menai Bridge some months ago. Whilst the cost of the returned mussels was refunded, it is disappointing that gritty mussels has become a recurrent issue - as far as we're concerned. We first visited this Restaurant some 5 years ago and have visited regularly since. However, the great mussels that we had become to expect - and looked forward to - appear to have become a thing of the past.

5  Thank sandmhq
Dylans_Restaurants, General Manager at Dylan's, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2018

Hello there
Thank you for your review of Dylan's. We are glad that you mainly enjoyed your time with us. We do apologise that one of the childrens pizzas arrived a bit later than the others. We are sorry that your mussels were gritty and glad you enjoyed the calamari instead. We wash the mussels thoroughly - however the grit we sometimes have to endure are tiny little pearls in the middle of the mussel meat which we can't get out. This happens from time to time. We still insist on buying our mussels locally and won't buy from any other region. We do hope to see you here again soon.

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

Had a nice light lunch yesterday, was lovely, sat on the terrace overlooking the beautiful view, quick efficient service and the food was an absolute delight! Thanks Dylans!

Reviewed 5 April 2018

It is difficult to park outside but there is parking up the adjoining street (Beaumaris side).
On arrival we were quickly shown to our table upstairs. This is a large room with some large tables, it was noisy and there were a number of families and parties. The table tops had a metalic looking finish and there was a canteen atmosphere. To be fair it was early evening and it would probably much better later with a table overlooking the straits.
The service was prompt and we had garlic bread and mussels to start which was okay and ample for two.
For main my wife has hake which she said was delicious and I had the Menai Straits Pizza which was previously recommended as their specialty. The pizza with the fish topping had a very soggy bottom and it could only be eaten with a knife and fork.
To accompany we had a bottle of the house red but were too full to have a sweet.
Overall I was a little disappointed because it had been so highly recommended by many people and it is advisable to book.

4  Thank Oldtuggo
Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

We travelled from Bala to visit this popular Resturant and located right next to the water with great views we fancied Fish and Chips, but to our disappointment were not on the menu, fish finger sandwiches was the nearest we could get.
Please could you add it to your menu so next time we visit we can order it.
Unfortunately, we left without ordering anything, but a great location!

4  Thank Jacqui B