“Weekend break”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of Porthwen Farm

Porthwen farm
Porthwen farm Porthwen farm with sea views
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
Porthwen farm
Porthwen farm with sea views
Kitchen
Bedroom 2 with double bed & cot. Sea views
Bedroom 2 with cot & sea views
Bedroom 3 - twin beds
Family bathroom
Enclosed private garden with decking
Garden
Sea views
Sitting area with sea views
The old brickworks Porthwen bay
Sunset over porthwen
Views of countryside from the front of Porthwen farm
The neighbours
Hall/sitting room
Dining room
Hall/sitting room
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Any
Jo C
“Weekend break”
Reviewed 12 April 2017 for a stay in March 2017

Lovely location and easy to find thanks to good directions. We were blessed with glorious weather which made the break even more special - special views and great for walking, especially down to the old brick works. However, inside the house it was freezing - clearly the storage heaters had not been turned on in good time and as we later discovered are not adequate heating for such a building. The first night we had to all sleep with layers of clothes on, then we went out to buy logs for the next day, but it was still cold throughout the house. Although we were advised on where to buy logs etc, we hadn't - given the exceptionally hot weekend we had - and it was freezing. It might be an idea to have at least some logs, kindling and lighters to hand which could be replenished on leaving. Sofas and cushions were a bit old, worn and grubby looking but the rest of the amenities were nice and good quality. The shower was very tempramental - going from hot to cold - and again it was cold in the bathroom with heater not working. It didn't spoil us having a nice time. I would recommend this place but be prepared for chilli bedrooms and buy plenty of logs as you will rely on this but it won;t heat up the rest of the house.

Management Response
21 Apr 2017
I'm so sorry you found the house cold, the previous guest had switched off all the heaters at the wall when they stayed, I had switched them back on when they left, the day before your arrival.
In the email I send with directions & also in the folder left at the house, all information is given on how to operate the heating & all appliances & where all switches & things of importance can be found. If you had read this information I think you would of had a warmer stay. The bathroom heater is in full working order, you had not switched it on at the main switch. ( as instructed).
Throws, water bottles & extra quilts can also be found at the house.
Thank you for your comments, I will leave logs etc., in the future & I am planning to renew the hall seating as it has taken a bit of a bashing in the last couple of years.
Regards Bev
Davidtm19...
“Unbelievable and Truly Amazing”
Reviewed 11 October 2016 for a stay in October 2016
person found this review helpful

Amazing place to stay and amazing place to visit. So nice and peaceful but not only that it is a wonderful property and is truly a home away from home. Has all your home comforts as well as being such a relaxing get away for not only couples but big family's. Has an amazing amount of space (indoor and outdoor) and at the same time is nice and cozy. Has two log burning fires whitch are truly awesome. If you need to get away from the busy day to day life of the city then this is the place to come highly recommend

globalnom...
Wrexham
“Wonderful stay!”
Reviewed 16 August 2016 for a stay in May 2016

Lovely old farmhouse. Peaceful location. No light pollution. Bev, owner, was an excellent communicator when we had a couple of minor niggles. Would definitely stay there again.

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
vespatoru...
West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“****BE WARNED****”
Reviewed 4 August 2016 for a stay in July 2016
person found this review helpful

We booked seven nights from Friday 15th July 2016, we had stayed at the lodge next door before and we loved the area. Everything was great until Monday night when during a shower the water ran out...we informed bev the owner who informed us to go see a neighbour down the hill as he can fix the problem, we did this expecting it to be a regular occurance and the problem would be solved. No this was just the start, bev did nothing to help and left us with no water from Monday night on with her only solution being to go to yet another nieghbour around a quarter of a mile away to get water, I don't think bev realised it was our holiday or didn't care. We had young children and a four week old baby and all bev was concerned with was turning off the water pump and water heater to prevent damage. We stuck it out buying water until Thursday morning when we left 24 hours early. We tried to get a refund via PayPal opening a case bev blamed our children for the fault which she knows is not true and a pretty low thing to say then she said we had breached our contract and she didn't have to give us a penny! PayPal do not protect these type of payments but bev did refund us our damage deposit and three nights because in her words she ' felt sorry for us ' I would have taken legal action but bev hides her trading address check your PayPal receipt there is no address. We had lots of " it's never happened before " and it must be this it could be that but at the end of it all we were left with no water and it ruined our holiday and to add insult to injury bev blamed our children for lifting a manhole cover and turning a tap when in fact it was the ex plumber nieghbour we had been told to ask for help that did that not that it made a difference as the well the water comes from was too low apparently and I'll not mention the wifi not working after a few days as well. A total disaster and I have all texts and emails to prove everything that was said between us and bev. Needless to say we will never be booking here again and the only reason I gave it one star is because I have to.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Leaving
Liked least: No water
Travelling group: Young Children
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Management Response
20 Mar 2017
I have been advised by trip advisor to reply to this.
As you can see from all my reviews this one is the only negative.
Unfortunately during this guests stay for some reason the water tank fell below the level to pump to the house, I always check the well before my guest arrive & it was full, this holds 1000's of gallons of water & for some unknown reason the spring source water had stopped being pumped to refill the tank. Three properties did depend on this source of water & we have never before occurred this problem. In the past the tank fills up over night but on this occasion it became apparent this was not happening as I explained to Nicola. After contacting my neighbours across the field & explaining the situation as they are on mains water they offered my guest if they wanted that they would take 2x10 gallon containers for them to use & to boil for hot water. It's the best we could do as the professionals, to fix the problem we're not available till the Friday. My neighbours never heard back from them.

I told Nicola on the Wednesday I will refund her back her money for the days they didn't have water. I was also going to offer them a free weekend, a good will gesture, yes I did feel sorry for them as their holiday through no ones fault was spoilt. But once I mentioned a refund their attitude changed, they hated the place & would never return.

As promised I returned their refund on the Sunday after spending the weekend at the house sorting the problem. On the Tuesday I received a message from paypal that a case had been bought against me by Nicola's partner, paypal closed the case in my favour as I had refunded them. Then I received emails by holiday lettings/tripadvisor that I hadn't paid the refund. After two weeks, proving I had with the help of paypal who verified they received the monies on the Sunday. Finally the nightmare ended. Paypal were brilliant.
I'm sorry you didn't get all your money back + the refund.
I was very fair from the word go & did all that could be done, I could not come personally to sort the problem as you knew I was attending Christies hospital with my mother who at this time was receiving cancer treatment. I too have all correspondences.

Be very cautious accepting their bookings.
Freya04
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
“Perfect place to relax”
Reviewed 27 April 2016 for a stay in April 2016

could not fault the house, warm cosy, well furnished, and the views were wonderful, easy to park and access, closed in garden for young children and pets to play safely.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: the open fire place
Liked least: the ghost on the stairs
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing