“Worst meal in Wales”

Price range: USD 8 - USD 20
Cuisines: British, Pub, Grill, Welsh
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Restaurant at the Royal Ship Hotel offers a great range of freshly prepared meals using local ingredients wherever possible. Our extensive menu offers something for everyone.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Service unfriendly and my sirloin steak was tough and flavourless .
Mushrooms dry and tasteless and salad had no dressing .
My husband had fish and chips which he said was far from the best he had tasted in Wales .

2  Thank henrietta m

Reviewed 14 June 2018 via mobile

We struggled to get in anywhere due to not pre-booking but staff here were really accommodating and allowed us to eat in the bar area, squeezing us in. I had the beefburger which was lovely whilst my other half had the lamb-burger, which was also really good. Good value, decent food.

Reviewed 12 June 2018

The Royal Ship is a very nice place to have a drink in the evening and enjoy a good meal. You can sit outside and enjoy views of Cadair Idris while drinking a local pint or even local whiskey and gin.
The food is good, solid Pub food with an elaborate twist to it.

Reviewed 12 June 2018 via mobile

The hotel rooms are very good, with big comfortable beds at a reasonable price. To be fair, the breakfasts are also pretty good, but the evening meals are distinctly average at best. I can only imagine that the chef was away the day we visited, because the fish and chips were badly cooked - mine was overdone and dry, my friend’s was inedible because the batter wasn’t cooked. The waiter did promise to remove his from the bill, so it wasn’t all bad. However, in my opinion there are much, much better eating options in Dolgellau, particularly Y Meirionnydd, which is superb.

1  Thank 55MG555
Reviewed 8 June 2018

Four of us had a meal here recently. Typical pub grub menu. Food well cooked and presented. And no long wait. Good selection of beers a well.

Why only 4 stars? Had to ask twice for the desert menu. Petty or what?

Would I go back. Definitely.