“Needs work”

Price range: USD 8 - USD 20
Cuisines: British, Pub, Grill, Welsh
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Restaurant at the Royal Ship Hotel offers a great range of freshly prepared meals using local ingredients wherever possible. Our extensive menu offers something for everyone.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Have wanted to eat here since they re-vamped the building. It looks lovely inside, great for a drink but I do not recomend eating here!
The meal was pretty tragic. I had a beef burger and my partner had the steak. It was one of the dryest burgers I've had, was very burnt, and had no trace of seasoning. It was bland and unplesant to eat. The gerkins just tasted of water, and the bottom half of the bun was soggy. My partners steak was cooked to his liking but, again, wasnt seasoned and was very tasteless. The chips on both meals were massive- I'm all for chunky chips but these were the size of actual potatoes and not in a good way. They were mouthfulls of unseasoned potato which was very unpleasant and were so dry... My partner agreed with this and commented that his onion rings were burnt to a crisp.

On top of the terrible food, the service wasnt great either. Despite the sign at the door saying to wait to be seated we stood a very long time and were ignored by several members of staff who didnt even say hello as they passed. When we eventualy approached the lady behin the bar she was very pleasant, but she seemed like the only one who had any idea about customer service. The other staff who waited on our table didnt smile once and were a bit short with us. We were made to feel like they were doing us a favour by giving us a table- even though we called to book.We were also sat on a table so close to the one beside it that I was practically elbow-to-elbow with the lady beside me, even though there were other tables available. No effort was put into giving us a pleasant experience. The lady on the table next to us asked for a coffee at one point and the waitress said that they'd turned off the coffee machine and washed everything so were not prepared to make her the coffee she wanted. I was so shocked by that! I've worked in hospitality for years and I know it doesnt take any effort to make a quick late'!
And then before we finished eating they started to close half of the restaurant & turn off lights, making us feel like we had to finish eating our meals quickly.
Overall, terrible food and bad service. Anyone could make better food at their own home, so I advise you stay home and do just that!

2  Thank Alice O
Royal S, General Manager at The Royal Ship Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

Very sorry you left with clearly talking to any member of staff or managment, and clearly say nothing while you are in the restaurant? We are happy to help anyone and pride ourselves on giving people a great experience at the Royal Ship, Your comments will be taken on board i am only sorry you feel you can only vent yourself behind a keyboard rather than let a member of management know, if you are willing to contact myself JOHN WELSH I would be more than happy to try and resolve any issues you had. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards
John Welsh

Reviewed 4 April 2018

Ate here after a day of mountain biking so was hungry! Food service was prompt despite the place being absolutely packed and it was hot, very tasty and served well.
The menu has a good selection of dishes that you would expect in a good pub with some higher end dishes too. Can highly recommend and would eat here again without hesitation if in the area.

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Great lamb shank I would highly recommend. The only downfall would be the service it felt like they had forgotten we were there. Otherwise tasty food. In the evening the bar service is great and incredibly friendly.

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Good service. Quick. Clean place and nice atmosphere. Dog friendly - nice touch giving your dog a biscuit.
Very good food. Would definitely come back!

Reviewed 24 March 2018

We popped in here one afternoon for a pint & a coffee & were pleasantly surprised.
Really well presented place, very comfy & cosy.
The staff were so very friendly & the atmosphere was lovely. The locals who were in there were also very friendly, but not overly so :)
I can recommend the Americano & the scrummy shortbread that came with it - I could have eaten a whole packet of those :)
Apparently (per my other half) if you are having a pint, you need to get a nut mix to go with it, best £1 he has ever spent :)