“Perfect location, don't let the floods keep you away.”

Talbot Heirs Guesthouse
Ranked #1 of 18 Memphis B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 May 2011

My partner Kaye and i stayed at Talbot Heirs on 11th and 12th May 2011. We were concerned that the floods might have affected Memephis and were considering cancelling, however we rang and Tom the owner assured us it was OK. We took his word and were able to do all we intended to do and see. The downtown area is not affected by the flooding and we since have driven to New Orleans with no issues at all.

Tom and Sandy welcome you and give a high level of personal attention and the rooms are extremely clean and pleasant. I could not recommend the Talbot Heirs too highly. Also as I said above it is in a great location only just over a block from Beale St. Go there...you'll love it.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank paulnk

Reviewed 11 May 2011

The rooms were spacious, clean and quiet. We arrived in the middle of torrential rain and tornado sirens going off, but were quickly settled in and really enjoyed our stay in Memphis. This place is totally convenient to all of the downtown attractions and the river. We really enjoyed Beale Street and had no concerns about our safety walking around. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 May 2011

Tom & Sandy were so nice and the place is just a perfect location. I had never been to Memphis but my wife went there years ago with my sister (years before I met her). Now my sister has passed away and I always told my wife I wanted to take her there (4th anniversary). I found the Talbor Heirs here on Trip Advisor and that's why I am posting.... to say again that the people on here on correct --- it was a great place to stay. We are in our 50's so we stayed in the apartment alot but had much fun. Beale Street is cool,however, I lived in New Orleans for 3 years, visit there often and think Nola has a bit more to offer. Beale St is much cleaner than the Franch Quarter and we heard some great music. The Civil Rights Museum is a must see.

Tom was great and showed us around, helped us park, took care of luggage, told us how to get there, just like going to visit your best friend. He showed me Bobby Womack's piano in one of the suites and when I told Tom I just finished reading a book on Eric Clapton (who played and composed with Bobby Womack) he lent me a rare magazine that was wonderful about Eric Clapton and the Blues. I read it the whole time I was there.

They have cool art work, and alot is from Dr. Bob from New Orleans. This weekend, we had a festival in Lafayette, La. and we saw Dr Bob and his wife, selling their paintings.. We asked them about the Talbot Heirs and they said they stayed there after Hurricane Katrina and even traded some of theirt art work for their stay. We had to buy a "Be Nice Or Leave" painting since Tom says this is their only house rule at Talbout Heirs. It is hung in every room.

My wife and I loved our long weekend there and we hope to go back. Go soon because Tom says they may retire in another year or so. Be sure to eat at the Flying Fish next door.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 May 2011

Tom and Sandy couldn't have been nicer if they tried. There were many kindnesses shown over our few days in memphis, none of which we would ever have expected, so it was an absolute delight. They are lovely people to converse with, so if you get the chance stop before heading out and say hi.

Also, we emailed to ask if a few items could be purchased from the grocery store before we arrived, including difficult to find items like lactose free milk, and they were so wonderful and found them for us. It was such a relief after two days of flight delays and cancellations to arrive in our room and be able to make some tea. Hoorah!

We slept so well in the bed, it was incredibly comfortable. We heard no noise in the night, so very peaceful sleep. Even in the daytime we could nap comfortably. Having the kitchen and things like hairdryer / iron & ironing board was fantastic. There was so much space in the apartment, and from what I could see as I stickybeaked past a few empty rooms, ALL of them are super spacious. And, even better, they are all different and quirkily decorated. And not in a weird oh-god kind of way - the place is beautiful. Even the hallways are a delight, with colourful artwork galore to capture your eye.

We also got many recommendations about places to eat and shop, all of which worked out great.

The location is ideal, so close to everything including beale street, and the free shuttle that goes to graceland and sun studios. We also enjoyed wandering to the nearby Peabody to check out the inside and do some shopping.

The stairs leading up the Talbot Heirs might be a slight inconvenience, but I'm an amputee and managed them just fine over a number of days, so really unless you're wheelchair bound or in some serious pain, it shouldn't come into consideration.

Great value, great people, great rooms, great location. What a great bed and breakfast. Wouldn't stay anywhere else in Memphis from now on. Thankyou Tom and Sandy, we hope we'll be back sometime soon!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wildewoolf
Reviewed 28 March 2011

We were welcomed graciously by our host Tom and from then it just got better. The room was huge, complete with sofa, upholstered chair, writing desk, full kitchen, tvs. The poster queen size bed was comfortable. The entire place was very clean and very safe. Only a 2 minute walk to Beale Street, directly across from the Peabody's valet parking. We could not have found a better location to catch the trolley, a taxi, several restaurants and loads of music venues. Tom and Sandy, the present owners, are very gracious and eager to offer up plenty of hospitality. If and when I'm in Memphis again, I will certainly hope they have room at the "inn". Wonderful location.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple