“Birthday Dinner”

Babalu Tapas & Tacos
Ranked #177 of 1,493 Restaurants in Memphis
Price range: USD 5 - USD 20
Reviewed 14 August 2017

Eight for dinner plus a baby. Order came out in dribs and drabs. Food was freshly cooked. Shrimp & grits was a little pricey. 4 shrimp for $12. Excellent mushroom sauce. Similarly the Fierce shrimp seemed expense for the quantity. The fresh guacamole prepared table side was $10.50 was well seasoned and again a little pricey. The "hand cut " fries were a little soggy and too thin to be hand cut. Fries need to be crisp and in real life are thicker. Blanching and then frying in real good oil as needed would be better. Good family restaurant. Service was great too.

Otie H, Guest Relations Manager at Babalu Tapas & Tacos, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2017

793casper,

Thank you for your review of Babalu! We would like to know if you were made aware of our dining style, which is to bring dishes "as prepared"? We pride ourselves on using only fresh, locally-sourced (when available), all-natural ingredients for all our chef-prepared dishes! In regard to the fries, our fries are cut, daily, in-house, and are blanched before being fried. We appreciate you bringing the issue of "soggy" fries to our attention. We will look into this and make the necessary improvements! We greatly appreciate your feedback, as we use it as a means to improve. We have sent you a private message, and we look forward to hearing from you!

Reviewed 11 August 2017

First of all, I have absolutely no complaints about the food, service, price or any other aspect of the restaurant that the managers and staff can control. They were outstanding. The food is excellent and the service is very attentive. I wish I could remember our servers name because he deserves kudos for his personal approach to taking care of us. The only downside is the design of the restaurant makes it very difficult to carry on a conversation when the restaurant is full. I like a vibrant scene and Babalu offers that. It is a great looking space but the hard surfaces and nothing to break up the noise level makes it difficult to talk in a normal voice. Not really a complaint as much as an observation. It wasn't bad enough to keep me from returning but enough that I will not go for meals when I am conducting business.

Otie H, Guest Relations Manager at Babalu Tapas & Tacos, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2017

Steve Y.,

Thank you for your review of Babalu! We are happy to hear how much you enjoyed the dishes you ordered, as well as the service. We appreciate your feedback regarding the noise level/lack of noise diffusion. Our management team is aware, and we will work on a solution! Thank you, and we look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 10 July 2017

My family and I have enjoyed the other Babalu location multiple times. We went to the new location, which is right by my office. Unfortunately we had two issues....

First, when our food arrived, my wife's and kids tacos were delivered, by they said my seared tuna would be coming in a moment. Well the "moment" turned into another 5 before I was told, it was almost here. Meanwhile, everyone else at my table didn't want to be rude, but also didn't want their food to be cold. Twice more at 5 minute intervals, I was told my dish would soon be arriving. Finally it was delivered by someone other than my server. After 15 minutes, she was probably too embarrassed. So I ate alone, as everyone else in my party was done and they got to watch me.

The second problem was after you give your server your credit card I expect it to take between 1 and 5 minutes to process. It took her more than 10. Not a good time to make the customer even more not pleased right before they decide the gratituty.

The big difference in this place is the freshly made guacamole. For me it just makes me realize how easy it is to make it ourselves and how overpriced $10.50 is for a couple of avocados and added spices and onions. Every other Mexican type place gives chips and great salsa for free.

I'm not big on writing negative reviews as you can see for all my past writings, but I was not a fan of this location. If we go back, it will be to the Midtown location.

1  Thank memphis_m
Otie H, Guest Relations Manager at Babalu Tapas & Tacos, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2017

memphis_m,

Thank you for your review of Babalu. We are disappointed to hear that your dining experience at our East Memphis location was less impressive than your experience at our Overton location. The service you received is not up to our standards of excellence. We greatly appreciate your feedback, as we use it as a means to improve. We have sent you a private message, and we look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 9 July 2017 via mobile

Baba Burger was the best burger I've ever had. The table side guacamole is also amazing. Service has always been great. Gets very crowded but I've never had to wait long for a table. Relatively kid friendly (loud and lots to look at) and has a small kids menu. I like this location better than Overton, it's a bit calmer with not so young of a crowd.

Reviewed 25 June 2017

This is a new restaurant decorated in the reclaimed wood, industrial metal, subway tile, and concrete counter/table tops so popular with the Joanna Gaines and IKEA crowd. It is sleek and clean looking. It was a pleasant day, so we ate on the patio. The hostesses and servers were helpful, friendly, and knowledgeable. I really like their menu as you can try more than one item, either by ordering an assortment of tacos, etc. or sharing your "small plates" with others in your party. Everything is plated beautifully. The sides are given as much care to flavor as the entree. I can't wait to go back and try some of the other dishes. You can't go wrong here and I'm sure it will always be crowded except at opening time. Definitely go early at 11 or before 5 when everyone stops by after work.