All reviews chalet style basic room after reading some of the reviews free wifi tea and coffee shower gel early ferry bed was comfortable warm welcome port patrick karaoke locals motorcycle key stopover
Reviewed 14 August 2011

Nearly cancelled when I read all the negative reviews that this B&B had been given. The chalet rooms were basic but clean, the breakfast excellent and the staff friendly and welcoming. What more could you ask for at the price? Oh yes -it did have free wi-fi.
There was a lot of noise coming from the karaoke at night, but once in the room we did not hear it at all. Ideal for an overnight stay.

Room Tip: Go for 1 of the chalet 5 rooms if given a choice.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Working in stranraer area for a few days and was booked in to thistle. Stayed in room above bar, first impression as I walked up stairs was not good and felt like leaving right away. Carpets needs a good vac, before I got to room. Room was pretty uninviting, no welcome pack ie kettle etc. no towels and heating was off and it was quite chilly. Decor was very dated, cob webs around the windows and black crumby stuff on top of the quilt, had to shake if off and a bit of a stale smell in the room. so I checked out the bathrooms 2 on the one landing, each as bad as the other no soap or towels and both for want of a better word stank of p. Towels were available from a pile of 2 which were left on the landing, I didn't know if they were someones own towels or belonged to the inn as they didn't match and looked a bit rough, so I didn't use the showers or bath. There were those bath mat towel things on the floors of the bathrooms, I didn't know if they had been used already by a previous "guest" if thats what I was supposed to be. By Luck I had my own towel so had a quick wash without exposing myself to the rather basic environment.
I set off to bed and to be honest I put on some clean clothes and lay on top of the quilt and put another over me, I didn't want to get in the bed. I was really starting to think what is this place. Nodded off and the next thing singing and doors slamming up to about 11pm. That was me up for another 2hrs wandering what next. Had to get up early and didn't sample breakfast. And that was the first night. The second night was better as I stayed out most of the night and went back when things were quieter. By the time I got home I was exhausted.
The folks who run this place need a right good kick up the butt.

Room Tip: don't bother unless absolutely desparate
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank dezbo
Reviewed 27 June 2011

i phoned and booked this after seeing o internet. to be honest when we arrived and walked in we both didnt know where to look we wanted to leave. we then had to pay more than quoted over the fone. got taken out to our chalett out the back. chalett was clean. bathroom floor unstable tho? first lady we spoke to wasn't as nice but the rest of the staff where lovley. brekfast was good. might concider staying again but think they need to lift everything a bit for the price you pay for it.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 January 2011

Greeted by the chef and shown to a small chalet - one that he could find with heating on. Never met mine hosts. Breakfast had to be negotiated as it was New Year and it seemed the staff were allowed to start late on New Years Day despite the guests. Room wasn't cleaned or beds made for our second nights stay. Did get invited to the New Year party in
the bar though. Wouldn't stay here again and couldn't recommend it to anyone else. Very much overpriced for the service we got.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 January 2011

We stayed in The Thistle Inn the night before our early ferry to Belfast. We stayed in the main hotel, not a chalet. On first sight to be honest I was slightly worried but I shouldnt have been. Our room, was spotless, and very large. There were 3 adults with 2 kids aged 4 & 6 in our party. There was ample space in the family room but the gentleman running the hotel still offered us an additional room which we declined. The price was brilliant and the hospitality not only shown to us but to the kids was brilliant especially after such a long journey to Stranraer. We go frequently to Belfast to visit family and we are now planning on staying at this hotel when we are booked on the early boat. The parking was free & we were offered a parking space for the duration of our visit to Belfast however we declined as we park at the main terminal but the offer was there. I felt they couldnt do enough to help. The rooms, bed & bathroom are all clean & spotless. The breakfast was included in the price and there was cereal, toast and a scottish breakfast.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family