“A peaceful retreat”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of Ben Arthur Cottage

Kitchen
Shower Room
Bedroom 1 Downstairs
Bedroom 1 with Patio Doors
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

pms911
Torrevieja, Spain
“A peaceful retreat”
Reviewed 17 August 2018 for a stay in August 2018

We had a great week in Lochgoilhead. A good location to explore the area. Virtually midge free for the week we explored Donich waterfall, Benmore Gardens, the Isle of Bute and Loch Lomond.
Everything we needed in the house and great having an enclosed garden for the dogs. My son loved the Highland Coos in the field above the village.

7 Sep 2018
Thank you for your review.
sooz1212
“Wedding at Lochgoilhead”
Reviewed 19 July 2018 for a stay in July 2018

We spent a wonderful weekend in Lochgoilhead, and Ben Arthur cottage was exactly what we were looking for! Thanks Helen we will definitely be back

22 Jul 2018
Thank you for your positive review. I look forward to meeting you again.
Renfrewshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2018 for a stay in May 2018

29 May 2018
Thank you for your review. It was a pleasure having you. Helen
Hazel W
“Fabulous”
Reviewed 23 September 2017 for a stay in August 2017

The house was gorgeous, great shower and real coal fire. Everything provided, could not ask for more. Loved it. Great location for walks in hills, close to beach, swimming pool and kids playground. Will definitely be booking again.

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
30 Dec 2017
Hazel. Thank you for your review any hopefully you will return.
Lynsey H
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Like Staying At Your Auntie's House”
Reviewed 16 July 2017 for a stay in June 2017
person found this review helpful

Booking was simple, and the owner, Helen was friendly and on hand to answer any questions I had before booking. She was also in touch with me before check in to ensure that I had the check in instructions and all was ok.

The location of the property was perfect. It was in the village of Lochgoilhead, a stones throw from the local pub and beach, and within easy walking distance of the larger hotel and leisure centre. (there is a coastal path shortcut- follow the path from the village green, but take a torch at night!).

There is a driveway to park your car, and it is quite easy to find. The laid back approach to check in/ check out was pretty good too. The front door seems to jam a little bit, so be careful when opening it, but aside from that we got into the property smoothly. The hallway was very welcoming and smelled wonderful.

Overall, I felt relaxed and comfortable during our stay. It definitely felt homely and cosy- like staying at your aunties house. The property itself was a comfortable size- much bigger than the lodges and other offerings in the local holiday village estate, and the pricing was one of the cheapest in the area too. It comes with a large, cosy lounge that has a coal fire in it! Perfect for a winter break. The large kitchen has a dining area, and is very well equipped. There are plenty of utensils and everything is quite easy to find. We also had a lovely bottle of red wine left on the table for us, which was a lovely touch.

The bedrooms are adequate- two of the rooms are quite large, with another small box room at the top of the stairs. There is a toilet with a small cube shower on the ground floor, and a small toilet upstairs- small being the operative word! The rooms were clean, however the bedding and towels smelled as though they had been in the airing cupboard for a few months- it would be worth freshening them up before bookings if possible. The beds weren't the most comfortable I've slept on, but that is due to personal taste, and with a bad back I am quite specific with my mattress, so I wouldn't mark anyone down for that!

We took the top bedroom as we are not smokers and didn't need quick access outside. When I was getting ready in the morning, I was disappointed that there was no mirror in the room, and I had to go to the toilet if I needed a mirror- this wouldn't be the best location for putting on makeup as it is so restricted. The bottom bedroom has french doors leading out into the garden, so this is best if anyone needs to smoke. The doors were a bit sticky when opening, but we got used to them eventually. The views from the garden were stunning all around- you could get glimpses of the hills wherever you were sitting.

If I could make some recommendations for improvement; 1- I would ask for an upgrade to the shower- as the power and temperature were a bit lacking. We actually have a shower of the same brand in our house, model is a Triton Seville- this may help with those issues? 2- I would also suggest that the dishes are checked thoroughly before the next people are due in- unfortunately it seems that some previous guests had left the dishes a bit sticky/ greasy and grubby, so every time we wanted to eat something, we had to wash everything first. 3- I would ask that the fridge is switched on before arrival- we had brought food with us and the fridge took most of the night to cool down.It wasn't too bad because we were travelling from nearby Glasgow, but it could be an issue if people are travelling from further away and may need something to be put straight into a cold fridge. 4- some voile/ netting anti- midge curtains for use during the summer (IKEA do some large pairs)- I know midges are a way of life in the Scottish Countryside, but it would be good to try and reduce the number of them getting in the windows. 5- A mirror or dressing areavin the large top bedroom would be great too! 6- A welcome pack or document could be useful- especially explaining which fridge to use/ where the plugs are/ how to switch on/ off the heating/ what bins are for what etc. You could even add some leisure leaflets for things to do in the local area..... (These points are purely for feedback purposes and are not supposed to cause any offence.)

Overall, I would definitely recommend this letting to friends and family- in fact my parents are already thinking of booking. The positives outweigh any negatives, and I'm sure that i'll be back again.

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing