Open today: 12:00 pm - 4:30 pm

Beautiful

Reviewed 12 February 2018
Helen E
Kinross, Iowa

See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 3 October 2018

We went to visit the Maid of the Loch just as storm Ali hit! We had walked the path from Balloch in the pouring rain to see The Maid of the Loch and were nicely surprised to see she was open for a visit. We had a reslly lovely tour of the boat and were having a lovely cup of tea and cake when the storm hit. We could see it arrive over the Loch. It was scary but thrilling at the same time. Everything was blowing around but we felt very safe. Hopefully she made it to the slipway on the day she was due. While there we visited the other buildings.

Reviewed 8 March 2018

Small place but with a nice story to tell and always good to show machines and engineering. Plenty of parking and free admission

Reviewed 12 February 2018

An amazing visit so interesting the volunteers are passionate and share their knowledge happily . Children and parents enjoy working the engine .

Reviewed 24 August 2017

The slip way is located on Lomond shores, so is a convenient stop if exploring the shores or en route to the maid of the loch. (All of which I have reviewed separately).

I have to be honest and say it's not really my thing, but the husband found it quite interesting. So I would say it depends upon the interests of your party whether this is worth a stop for you. We stopped briefly and then carried on exploring.

My kids never believe people actually read my reviews, so if this was helpful please give me your vote. It's always nice to prove them wrong occasionally

Reviewed 4 June 2017 via mobile

Popped in to see the work that has been completed and my son blew the whistle , not a huge attraction but free and worth 10 min of your time

Reviewed 26 September 2016

Opened in 1902 this Grade A Listed steam powered slipway serviced paddle steamers and other passenger ships until around 1992 when it was abandoned. It underwent restoration and in 2006 it was fully returned to steam power and the PS Maid of the Loch was pulled onto the slipway for maintenance work to be carried out.

The Balloch Steam Slipway is open from June to September at weekends with steam power operational on advertised days. The slipway has a small shop and a number of fun and educational activities such as the steam siren that you can operate for a small donation.

An excellent booklet describes the history of the slipway and the Loch Lomond steamers and a number of displays highlight the restoration efforts and the industrial archaeology significance of the site.

1  Thank Rossergruffydd