“wonderful place to stop for a bite to eat”
Review of The Kames Hotel

and 1 more site!
The Kames Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Tighnabruaich
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“wonderful place to stop for a bite to eat”
Reviewed 4 March 2012

My daughter Marianne and myself passed through kames en route north but thought we would stop off and park up in kames in my campervan, we ate at the kames hotel and found the staff to be most friendly and helpful the views from outside the hotel are stunning.
I would recomend kames as a place and the hotel as a place to visit 1 st class all round

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank john s

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Oban, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2012

My wife came along with me on a business trip to the area and I chose the Kames hotel. When we arrived the welcome from the gentleman in reception was lovely and friendly. We were checked in quickly and they had very kindly upgraded us to a sea view room (4)
The hotel is located in a stunning position and you can really appreciate the view from the front of the hotel. We enjoyed the view tremendously. The Tea/coffee facilities came with a tunnocks tea cake, which always puts a smile on my face. The room was very comfortable and we both slept really well. The shower was good and we had no issues with anything in the room at all.

We ate dinner in the bar and were very pleased. The Fish and Chips was fantastic. The chips were proper hand cut chips, not frozen, why o why do more places not serve these?
Breakfast in the morning was lovely. I had the scottish breakfast and it was not a greasy fry, but a well prepared delight. My wife had porridge and was very happy too.

We liked it so much here that we have decided to return in April when my wife's parents visit from the USA, so clearly we liked it.

I believe some of the rooms may be small, but that will not stop us returning.

Well done Kames Hotel, it's great to see hospitality being done so well on the West of Scotland.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank ronandkristin
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Having read some raving reviews my wife and I were rather disappointed when we arrived, and more so when shown to our room.

We had bought the Groupon deal, so did not expect the best room. However Room 6 (and maybe Room 1 too) is to be avoided - very cramped, en-suite so cramped the wash hand basin had to be placed out in a corner of the room itself (not hygienic!), and no sea view.

Good points - great views of the sea from the dining room, small communal room, and front-facing rooms. Food is generally good. Good quality breakfast.

Not-so-good points - some very cramped rooms, rather cramped hotel with little communal areas, the one communal room is very small, bar can be noisy with locals, overall the hotel in need of some updating.

So there, if you get a sea view room (which I think may be quite spacious) you may find this hotel (more an inn than a hotel) acceptable, if not well you have been warned........

Room Tip: Avoid Rooms 1 and 6, and maybe others. Seaview rooms are 2,3,4.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mabok O
copter62, Owner at The Kames Hotel, responded to this review, 5 March 2012
Hi - I just want to let anyone considering making a booking know that our hotel is a charming character property and the rooms are indeed a real mixture of shapes & sizes. Most of our guests fall for the beauty of the area, the traditional warm hospitality and the homely quirkiness of our rooms. Our website is very clear about what to expect per room and, as doubles go, rooms 6 and 8 are both fairly small yet perfectly comfortable & with all facilities. This is reflected in the price though - and it is also our opinion that it's well worth paying the extra small amount for a superior sea view room. Just to make sure I correct the misinformation in this review too - rooms 2, 3, 4, 8 & 9 have sea views and room 1 is not small at all. Anyone wishing to find out more can always check the website or give us a call as we are more than happy for people to book a specific room. Apologies too to our guests as we really don't want anyone to be disappointed and try very hard to make sure everyone feels welcome and enjoys their stay with us.
Morpeth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2012

The Kames Hotel is truley a getaway from it all. The views are stunning and the welcome is warm. We had a fantastic break with a seaview that was truley breathtaking. The food is excellent, we can recommend the fish and chips.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Colin B
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2012

I found the hotel to be very nice. The room we were given was very spacious and the beds were very comfortable. I work nearly non-stop in London so it was a very nice get away. I did what I could not do in London. Completely switched off (the lack of phone signals in that part of Scotland helped a bit) and relaxed.

If you like walking, this is ideal (I'm lazy so I drove - but the roads were very scenic).

Very friendly people who made us feel welcome and the food was great! They even went out of their way to reopen the kitchen one night when we were late for dinner!

Price is reasonable too!

Would definitely recommend!

Room Tip: Ask for the large double seaview room (room 2 I think) its big and you get view of the loch.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tighnabruaich
0.9 km away
13.0 km away
The Victoria Hotel
The Victoria Hotel
#2 of 3 in Rothesay

Been to The Kames Hotel? Share your experiences!