“Fantastic hotel”

Meldrum House Country Hotel & Golf Course
Ranked #1 of 2 Oldmeldrum B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 April 2010

We stayed one night here (wish it could have been so much more) but what a place. Beautiful setting, lovely building, room superb, staff absolutely the best, and the food is to die for. We believe this is the finest and most comfortable hotel we have stayed in for years.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 March 2010

We recently stayed at Meldrum House and from start to finish the experience was excellent. On arrival we were shown to our rooms, although we were earlier than the check in time, first of many positves! The room we were allocated were in the newly converted stables, they were of the highest standard, the decor, comfort and cleanliness of the room was first class. On arrival for lunch we were looked after by James whose attention to detail was exceptional, as it was the rest of our visit, he left no stone unturned to ensure our stay was enjoyable, the food and wine at lunch was fantastic. I met the general manager when I had pre dinner drinks ( Peter Walker ) his enthusiasm and knowledge off the hotel, food and local area was extraordinary, it was informative and interesting. I had dinner in the restaurant , again food ( all local ) was some of the finest I have ever eaten, as I write this review it comes as no surprise that the dining room has recently won Restaurant of the Year!! enough said. I cannot fault anything during our stay, each member of staff we met was cheery and bright, and I look forward to going back in the very near future to use some of the golf facilities available, range and course, both looked of the highest standard. I think the hotel is an ideal venue, for any occasion as it has the wow factor from arrival to departure.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 March 2010

We arrived at lunch time for our overnight stay and were given a very warm welcome on arrival. We were shown to our room which was in the new part and we certainly got the wow factor when we entered the room. Very spacious, contemporary colours in greens and purples and just emitted luxury. Then for the bathroom which again a definite wow factor. Beautiful modern suite, separate shower with choice of normal shower or rainwater shower. Quality towels and bedding.

Nice big Sharp flat screen TV, Ipod docking station, mini fridge with complementary water and tea, coffee with your own cafetiere and fresh milk!. Plenty of hanging space in the wardrobe, safe, iron and ironing board and clothes brush. What else could you need?

We went for lunch in the main house and had a wonderful lunch with some nice wine. We were with friends so the two men went off to the driving range and the two ladies relaxed for a couple of hours.

We then had the most wonderful food in the restaurant in the evening. All the food is locally sourced and my goodness what a taste. Hubby had scallops to start with and he couldn't stop speaking about how good they were. nicely served on a slate platter. We both had steaks which just melted in your mouth.There was an extensive choice on the menu and the presentation was excellent.

After a wonderful nights sleep in the very comfy bed we then had a fantastic breaksfast. Again, quality ingredients right down to the free range egg yolk being practically orange in colour. Delicious. Set us up for a day.

We would particularly like to thank the General Manager Peter Walker for his excellent hospitality and also James for looking after us so well. In fact all the staff were very attentive. Peter has an excellent knowledge of the history of the 800 year old building which makes some very interesting listening.

Can highly recommend Meldrum House and only wished we were there longer than the one night. As they say, we'll be back!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 February 2010

We stayed at the hotel for my birthday in February. The hotel is a beautiful old building with a recently refurbished stable block where we stayed. The bedroom interior was contemporary Scottish and the bathroom very modern. It was spotless and had all mod cons. The evening meal was superb - good choice of modern British food and not too small a portion! The lounge and dining room were again decorated in a very tasteful Scottish theme, with roaring log fires. After our meal we had a few drinks in the cave bar - a quaint bar with many malt whiskies to choose from. The service was first class and the hotel was very accommodating allowing us to take our dog with us for the night. All in all a first class experience and we will definitely be back.... I must say in reading some of the earlier reviews of the hotel, they may be a bit misleading as I believe these reviews would have preceeded the refurbishment of the hotel later last year.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 December 2009

Stayed at Meldrum House on business. Beautiful old building in spectacular grounds with attached golf course. Checked in and was given key, then had to leave hotel to walk over carpark to my room which was in some converted steadings. key didn't work, so had to trot back over the carpark to get remedied. Young man on reception was good enough to come over with me and make sure it did work this time. Room was lovely, very well equipped with a glorious bathroom with a fantastic shower and huge tub, all sparkly clean. Didn't fancy the walk back across the carpark (again) so ordered from room service menu which was quite limited, soup and sandwiches. Again the nice young man asked the Chef to add a pudding and this was lovely. Quality of the food was great although it could have been warmer as it had come across the carpark uncovered. A good night's sleep, very quiet. Breakfast was Ok and they produced tomato juice which wasn't on the sideboard at no extra charge.. Checked out and noticed that the carpark was filling up with construction company's vans as they were still working in some of the buildings. About to drive off when a gentelman from the Golf Club staff told me that one of the construction vans had driven into my car when reversing. Trotted back across the carpark(again) and secured a couple of Managers from the hotel, the first words out of the more senior guy's mouth was that they were not responsible and I had parked my car at my own risk. They were very slow to respond and seemed to be more concerned about offending their builder than looking after me, a lone woman, over 200 miles from home and because of the remoteish location, no mobile access. The culprit was only really produced and admitted to when I threatened to call the police. All in all a very disappointing attitude from all concerned, the builders seemed to want me to just disappear and the Hotel staff seemed not to realise that it was fairly urgent to find the person who had run into my car while employed by them and witnessed by another two of their employees. Didn't feel a valued customer and not much n the way of sympathy. It was only a car bump but with that attitude what if it had been something more serious? Customer care only appears to be a priority until ypu've paid your bill.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
5  Thank archie503
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oldmeldrum
11.2 km away
8.7 km away
Strathburn Hotel
Strathburn Hotel
#2 of 5 in Inverurie

Been to Meldrum House Country Hotel & Golf Course? Share your experiences!