“The best part of our vacation (holiday)!”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of Plane Castle

Plane Castle The kitchen in the Manor House
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
Plane Castle
The kitchen in the Manor House
A snug sitting room on the ground floor of the manor House
Main Jacobean bedroom
One of the 15th century Tower bedrooms
Kitchen dining in the 15th Century Tower
The grand fire place in the 15th Century Tower with painted roof beams
One of the many bathrooms in the manor House and Tower
Twin room in the tower
Medieval banqueting hall in the Tower
Medieval banqueting hall
Dining room in the Manor
The Great Hall perfect for celebrations
View from the gardens
A wedding enjoying a pipe band
Great Hall seating area around the fireplace
Party time in the Great Hall
Wedding in the Great Hall
Set for a wedding in the courtyard (view from the battlements)
Banqueting Hall
Banqueting Hall
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Spanish first
Any
Clarence...
“The best part of our vacation (holiday)!”
Reviewed 22 April 2017 for a stay in April 2017

I could go on and on about Sonja and Steve. We were a party of 12 including 6 children visiting Scotland for the first time. We came across this on one of the websites and I reached out to Sonja for some additional information. She was more that a wealth of knowledge with every thing that I had asked of her. She was so quick to respond to all my questions, and believe me, I had many! Once we arrived, the place was great from one side to the other. Steve even went out of his way to take a couple of the members in our party to get some food and groceries as we had arrived during the evening and he was worried that we may get lost. Time after time, they both helped us with suggestions to even providing us with some first aid ointment for my 8 year old that happened to get himself into some type of picker bush. We even had the pleasure of eating one of Steve's delicious meals! If you plan on visiting and you need a nice place to stay with some of the nicest people around, look no further! If and when we return, we will not be searching the internet for a place to stay. I have stored Sonja's number in my phone and I'll be making just one call!
Thanks for the best stay guys! Words cannot explain how wonderful it really was!

Your age range 35-49
23 Apr 2017
Thank you so much for your kind review. It was an absolute delight hosting you all and we look forwards to seeing you again one day:-)
Gemma S
Manchester, United Kingdom
“What an amazing weekend!”
Reviewed 21 February 2017 for a stay in February 2017

Just got back from my hen weekend at Plane Castle. WOW!!! What a weekend! First of all we had 17 people going but as it went on some people decided to drop out causing us to have to pull out of renting the castle. My Maid of Honour spoke to Sonja about there only being 9 people now and she was very accommodating saying we could still go and just have the manor side of the castle. Perfect!!
We arrived on the Friday and Sonja showed us around then left us to it. We had just got settled and Steve was at hand to light the big open fire for us. We had a chilled but very drunken night as it was a long journey to get there.
Saturday afternoon was the Highland Games. Steve really went to town on this and everything was so much fun. Welly wanging, shot put, tug of war, archery, plus more. With prizes to be won too! If you're not too bothered about getting a little dirty then I would highly recommend this.
Saturday night was the Murder Mystery. We were all previously (before getting to the castle) given a character and a background story. I think the best way to do this is to just go for it. Dress up in character as much as you can. This was a surprise to me so seeing everybody and the effort they made was hilarious! Steve cooked an amazing 3 course meal for us and Sonja led the evening. Sonja is so friendly and welcoming and made the night even better for us.
Sonja gave us a tour of the tower and the history of this place is beautiful. With stone steps dating back to 650 years ago. I had read a review about these particular steps and how they were uneven and unsafe. They are not unsafe, and I don't think they had Bob the Builder back in those days to smooth everything out! The weather managed to stay decent enough for us to reach the tower roof top. The views are wonderful.
If you're looking for a fun stay away I couldn't recommend this castle enough. Steve and Sonja are the icing on the cake and it will be a weekend I will never forget.

21 Feb 2017
Thank you so much for your kind review. We hope you have a fabulous wedding:-)
Sonny_120...
Stirling, United Kingdom
“Perfection”
Reviewed 27 December 2016 for a stay in December 2016
person found this review helpful

My daughter and her husband to be had visited a few hotels before settling on Plane Castle,for their wedding venue
I am so glad that they did.
Sonja , Steve and their team are so professional and went out of their way to ensure everything ran as smoothly as possible.
The castle is steeped in history and Steve was on hand to give a tour around when ever needed.
The accommodation is spotless , some rooms have ensuite.
The wedding itself ran like clockwork , all the guest loved the venue and its quirkiness .
The guests all raved about the food - delicious - was the word I heard most to describe it.
Sonja is the most organised and unflappable person I think I have ever met , exactly what you need .
I would highly recommend thie castle as wedding venue or as a holiday rental .

21 Feb 2017
Thank you for your very kind review:-)
Kelly F
“The absolutely perfect wedding venue”
Reviewed 17 October 2016 for a stay in October 2016
person found this review helpful

My newly wed husband and I chose Plane Castle as our wedding venue.
We visited Plane Castle over a year and a half before our wedding and when we saw the place, we instantly fell in love.

Plane Castle has a beautiful, traditional Scottish and "home away from home" feel to it. Our rooms were all beautifully clean, the kitchen areas were clean and the whole place was incredibly welcoming.
Everything about our weekend stay for our wedding was absolute perfection from the beginning to end.

As for our wedding, it was incredible, cannot even describe how beautiful everything was. The staff set up the room for our ceremony, our meal and our evening reception so amazingly that it looked better than we could of even imagined.

The staff at Plane castle themselves provided an outstanding service, no task was too big or too small, they made you feel at complete ease and helped make our wedding day feel stress free and made it so incredibly perfect.

Every single one of our guests commented on how much they loved Plane Castle, how beautiful it was, how incredible the place looked and they absolutely loved how homely and wonderful the place made them feel. There is so many different places to explore and many places to sit and enjoy catching up with family and friends.

As mentioned at the beginning of our review, we chose Plane Castle over a year and a half ago for our wedding and it was undeniably the best choice we could of possibly made as the place to have our special day.

If you are considering wedding venues in Scotland or near Stirling area, I absolutely encourage you to contact Plane Castle and to go have a look for yourself and try not to fall completely in love.

From the bottom of our hearts, thank you so much to everyone at Plane Castle for our incredibly beautiful wedding, our comfortable and welcoming stay and everything you did for us.
We can only give Plane Castle an "excellent" 5 star review but trust us, Plane Castle is without a doubt, above and beyond this.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Travelling group: Other
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
17 Oct 2016
Thank you so much for your kind review. We have loved getting to know you and your family and to host your wedding was an absolute pleasure.

Enjoy your honeymoon Mr & Mrs M:-)
A2446MRst...
Kelso, United Kingdom
“The best ever place for our family party”
Reviewed 10 October 2016 for a stay in September 2016

We had been planning our family party for two years and found this gem of a venue which made the whole event something special.
We arrived Friday afternoon and were instantly made welcome by Sonja & Steve who helped us settle in and gave us lots of information about the surrounding area.
We had a big family meal on the Friday night and the huge, well equipped kitchen made it easy for us to cook food for all 18 of us. The great hall in the manor was perfect for us to relax and eat in and the kids had a ball exploring the castle and were very excited when they found the secret passage.
Saturday we went into Stirling which is only 15 minutes away and a few of us caught the train into Edinburgh from Larbert which was nearby. In the evening we had a ceilidh in the great hall and danced until midnight and some of us stayed up late chatting and enjoying being in our own Scottish castle.
It was an unforgettable experience and I cannot recommend this venue highly enough. It is just stunning with the 600 year old tower, the manor and huge gardens none of us wanted to leave. We are already planning our next family get together and hope to book here again for New year 2017. Thank you Sonja & Steve for making it such a special occasion.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The whole castle experience and the warm welcome
Liked least: Having to leave
Travelling group: Large Group
Recommended for:
Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
10 Oct 2016
Thank you for your review and we look forwards to seeing you again in the future.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing