“Friendly good value place in good location.”

MacKinnon Country House Hotel
Ranked #11 of 11 Kyleakin B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 September 2017

HOTEL: Confortable clean bathroom & room in MAIN BUILDING ( bedroom spacious for a single room ), & clean comfortable public spaces. Staff very friendly, helpful and efficient. Good location near Skye bridge and Kyleakin, yet very quiet in big garden off road. Inside hotel and in own room at night also very quiet. Hearty filling breakfast with refills if required ( pretty much offered automatically by waiters, no need to ask ). Dinner cooked by chef ( Mn>St; not Sn ) from fresh ( so takes a bit of time, 30 mn or so, to cook properly; so plan for that ) no rewarmed up frozen food / microwaved.) Therefore excellent dinner. Hotel overall good value for money.
[ everybody's experience or perception might be different, but note to moaners below: the customer might " always be right ", as the saying goes ( far from always true: I have seen appalling behaviour from guests ), but treat the hosts right, don't be a prince(-cess) acting arrogantly, and you will be treated right ].
LOCATION: Kyleakin /Caol Àcain : Nice little harbour by the " caol " ( kyle ) narrow strait. great views of other islands, of the mountains of Skye and of the main land and of Kyle of Lochalsh / Caol Loch Aillse ( small ) town and harbour opposite. Bus / coach services make it difficult to get beyond the " capital " Portree / Port Righ to the north and north-west of the island or even to the western peninsula of Sleat. No problems for drivers however,

Room Tip: Don't know where this annex might be ( if there is one ), but much better to book in the MAIN BU...
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo

Reviewed 11 September 2017

i made the trip to Skye for my partners 40th birthday - he regularly visits while camping to fish as it's his favourite place in the world, however this was my first time and thought i'd "Treat" him to a really nice hotel.

Instead we got a rude tyrant of a woman who barely took the time to make eye contact, we were interrogated about where we would be going after leaving the hotel, we had to hand over photo I.D or wouldn't be permitted to stay - with no promise written otherwise of destroying this information on our departure as is legally required!! we had to book a breakfast time for our two days although we weren't actually told where that would be served.

when it came to our room we had to walk past 23 spiders ... as an arachnaphobe i can promise you this was no easy task! the walls were covered in damp with paper peeling off and Our room wasn't actually numbered so ended up checking out a couple storage rooms on our travels first!

instead of the upstairs room i chose in the main house with a promised mountain view we were actually sent out the back past the two staff caravans to the new building where we had a view of the bike shed!! the room was freezing and you could actually smell the damp. The shower was more of a slow trickle to the extent it took my partner 45 minutes compared to the usual 10! the promised SKY tv didn't exist instead it was tuned into the English analogue channels only - no phone or hairdryer.

Breakfast was a whole new low - the continental breakfast is actually 4 different cereals and nothing else.
The full Scottish breakfast only provided half rounds of the haggis & black pudding - my partner couldn't actually tell you what the sausages were made of although that cold be because he couldn't actually chew it!
The fruit salad was actually tinned peach and the vegetarian option was tinned tomatoes or mushrooms on toast.
I asked if they had yogurt for my cereal and was told no in a manner that made me feel i should have known better and not be so silly. both mornings we had to ask if we were able to have fruit juice.

one afternoon I dared to ask if i could sit in the lounge with my book and coffee and the owners eventual response was to huff, roll her eyes and say she supposed she could do that - all with out actually looking at me!

On check out where we fully intended on letting them know how disappointed we were, we were't actually asked how our stay was, instead we were told to just leave the key as they didn't need anything else from us!! just like that we were dismissed!!

absolutely disgusted with the lack of hospitality let alone polite human interaction. it's clear from the dated decor, the lack of interest and the down right shoddiness of this hotel that the owner has no desire to be in the hotelier business and the quicker she gets out of it the better Skye's reputation will be!!

Don't waste your money, she doesn't want you there and there are much much nicer places - as we discovered much too late!!

Room Tip: book somewhere else
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tracy H
Reviewed 11 September 2017

Travelling with a friend we were at first interrogated about photographic ID. My friend who lives in Scotland had none and was told he shouldn't be driving without his licence (he wasn't driving). I stayed in 'luxury room' which was clean and spacious but had the rude notice about using the cotton wool for make up removal but then no cotton wool! also had three hangers in the wardrobe.
After this unpleasant welcome things improved with other staff being friendly and helpful. However first impressions are so important and the first impression was poor.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 August 2017

Tried this hotel for a birthday dinner after living here for nearly ten years now wondering why we left it so long. Stunning location, lovely dining room, excellent food excently cooked and presented, fabulous evening and the staff could not do enough for us and treated us like royalty thanks so very much. Will certainly remember this birthday as one of the best! will definetely be back.

Room Tip: lovely views of the gardens from the dining room, quait bar, lovely relaxing atmosphere
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 August 2017

A real curate's egg - thankfully I only stayed one night. I understand why this place gets such mixed reviews, as it probably depends on which of the staff you come across. The young French waitress who served me at breakfast was delightful, although she mis-interpreted my request for orange juice and served me porridge :-). I can forgive her that error, as she was so sweet and I probably should enunciate more clearly. Likewise the staff on the desk as I handed back my key were very friendly.

The room I had was adequate and clean. The Mackinnon tartan carpet in the corridors was unusual and maybe not to everyone's taste, but it was in good condition and so no reason for complaint.

What put me off this hotel and the reason for it's 'poor' rating is the reception I faced on arrival. My cheery "good evening" was not returned, so I went further by giving my name and explaining that I had a booking for one night. The response was somewhere on the scale between 'dour' and 'surly' as I was handed a registration form to fill in. Then we got to the photo ID requirement and the needle moved towards 'hostile'. I explained that I did not carry my passport and as I checked for my driving licence, I realised I had left it at home. I was told quite bluntly that it was illegal to drive without having my licence, to which I pointed out that I was actually using a mix of train, bus and walking to get around Scotland, and had no intention of driving a car. I was then told that they have people like the Lord Lieutenant staying at the hotel (another reviewer mentions Nicola Sturgeon), that it was illegal to stay at the hotel without ID for security reasons and that the hotel owner had been threatened with prison for non-compliance. I pointed out that it was rather unusual for a Briton to be asked for ID in a British hotel (heaven help us if the Scots go for independence...),but was told they have so many British tourists who tell her that, but that this requirement is written on the booking form. I checked later - it is indeed written there, though surprisingly for such a seemingly important requirement it is hardly the most obvious, and easily missed if you skim-read. Out of a mix desperation and annoyance-driven flippancy I said I had a photo alongside my name on Facebook, which was just met with a frosty glare. It would have been no good anyway, as there is no wif-fi at the hotel and the broadband in the area is the slowest in Britain, as the owner seems very keen to point out - there's even a newspaper article about it stuck on the hotel noticeboard.
So, after an awkward silence I asked what we should do. At that point the receptionist pulled the form away from me, dramatically tore it up into a wastebasket and told me that they would have to make sure there was no official record that I had no ID (I began to think she might just like me just a tiny wee bit :-)). She handed over a key and directed me to the room. It seems she was prepared to risk jail for the price of one night's accommodation.

Needless to say I decided to walk into Kyleakin for dinner and I'm never going back to Mackinnon House Hotel. In a matter of a few minutes I had twice been accused of breaking the law and then became accomplice to a conspiracy.

I am left wondering whether the photo ID is really a legal requirement (it doesn't seem to be anywhere else in Scotland) or is it that the local constabulary don't like the owner and are just winding her up? Or did I miss the joke and the ID requirement is just part of the WW2 theme?

A disturbingly weird hotel - the stuff of dreams, bad ones.

Room Tip: Just don't go there
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank antw718
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kyleakin
2.0 km away
50.6 km away
Uig Lodge
Uig Lodge
#4 of 11 in Uig

Been to MacKinnon Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!