MacKinnon Country House Hotel
Kyle Hotel
#2 of 2 hotels in Kyle of Lochalsh
2 km
View Hotel
All reviewshonesty barisle of skyedining room issalmonstayed here for two nightsfull scottish breakfastbreakfast was excellentpoached eggscarolearsmainland
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 September 2017

Travelling with a friend we were at first interrogated about photographic ID. My friend who lives in Scotland had none and was told he shouldn't be driving without his licence (he wasn't driving). I stayed in 'luxury room' which was clean and spacious but had the rude notice about using the cotton wool for make up removal but then no cotton wool! also had three hangers in the wardrobe.
After this unpleasant welcome things improved with other staff being friendly and helpful. However first impressions are so important and the first impression was poor.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 August 2017

Tried this hotel for a birthday dinner after living here for nearly ten years now wondering why we left it so long. Stunning location, lovely dining room, excellent food excently cooked and presented, fabulous evening and the staff could not do enough for us and treated us like royalty thanks so very much. Will certainly remember this birthday as one of the best! will definetely be back.

Room Tip: lovely views of the gardens from the dining room, quait bar, lovely relaxing atmosphere
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 August 2017

A real curate's egg - thankfully I only stayed one night. I understand why this place gets such mixed reviews, as it probably depends on which of the staff you come across. The young French waitress who served me at breakfast was delightful, although she mis-interpreted my request for orange juice and served me porridge :-). I can forgive her that error, as she was so sweet and I probably should enunciate more clearly. Likewise the staff on the desk as I handed back my key were very friendly.

The room I had was adequate and clean. The Mackinnon tartan carpet in the corridors was unusual and maybe not to everyone's taste, but it was in good condition and so no reason for complaint.

What put me off this hotel and the reason for it's 'poor' rating is the reception I faced on arrival. My cheery "good evening" was not returned, so I went further by giving my name and explaining that I had a booking for one night. The response was somewhere on the scale between 'dour' and 'surly' as I was handed a registration form to fill in. Then we got to the photo ID requirement and the needle moved towards 'hostile'. I explained that I did not carry my passport and as I checked for my driving licence, I realised I had left it at home. I was told quite bluntly that it was illegal to drive without having my licence, to which I pointed out that I was actually using a mix of train, bus and walking to get around Scotland, and had no intention of driving a car. I was then told that they have people like the Lord Lieutenant staying at the hotel (another reviewer mentions Nicola Sturgeon), that it was illegal to stay at the hotel without ID for security reasons and that the hotel owner had been threatened with prison for non-compliance. I pointed out that it was rather unusual for a Briton to be asked for ID in a British hotel (heaven help us if the Scots go for independence...),but was told they have so many British tourists who tell her that, but that this requirement is written on the booking form. I checked later - it is indeed written there, though surprisingly for such a seemingly important requirement it is hardly the most obvious, and easily missed if you skim-read. Out of a mix desperation and annoyance-driven flippancy I said I had a photo alongside my name on Facebook, which was just met with a frosty glare. It would have been no good anyway, as there is no wif-fi at the hotel and the broadband in the area is the slowest in Britain, as the owner seems very keen to point out - there's even a newspaper article about it stuck on the hotel noticeboard.
So, after an awkward silence I asked what we should do. At that point the receptionist pulled the form away from me, dramatically tore it up into a wastebasket and told me that they would have to make sure there was no official record that I had no ID (I began to think she might just like me just a tiny wee bit :-)). She handed over a key and directed me to the room. It seems she was prepared to risk jail for the price of one night's accommodation.

Needless to say I decided to walk into Kyleakin for dinner and I'm never going back to Mackinnon House Hotel. In a matter of a few minutes I had twice been accused of breaking the law and then became accomplice to a conspiracy.

I am left wondering whether the photo ID is really a legal requirement (it doesn't seem to be anywhere else in Scotland) or is it that the local constabulary don't like the owner and are just winding her up? Or did I miss the joke and the ID requirement is just part of the WW2 theme?

A disturbingly weird hotel - the stuff of dreams, bad ones.

Room Tip: Just don't go there
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank antw718
Reviewed 7 August 2017 via mobile

I’m puzzled by all the bad reviews of this place since during the course of a ten-day jaunt around Scotland this was by far the best hotel we stayed in. Whilst many of the others were old and tired or simply no longer trying, MacKinnons was a pure joy.

Our family room for four people was situated in the lodge at the back of the main property. It was large with an enormous double and two sizeable single beds. Everything was spotlessly clean and the bed linen crisp. There were mugs for the complimentary tea/coffee and high quality shortbread.

The breakfast was top-notch, the only issue being that the fruit salad starter was served after the main course but the main course was substantial and delicious so I didn’t really car at that point. There is interesting WW2 memorabilia all around the walls and that might be an issue to sensitive German and Japanese visitors but I’d suggest that anybody visiting Scotland would normally be prepared for various eccentricities.

I didn’t meet the owners but the serving staff and the young guy on reception couldn’t have been more helpful. On top of all this, although a little ramshackle on the outside, the buildings are situated in beautiful tree-lined grounds with a carefully manicured lawn.

All in all, a real gem of a place.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 July 2017

The first impression of the exterior of the hotel was that it was unkempt, unloved and in need of some serious TLC.

We could not check in until 4pm which seemed really late. We were asked to pay the full amount upfront before we were given the keys. My husband and I looked at each other and thought the same - something must be wrong!

Keys in hand we went to look at our room, in a separate building, classed as 'The Lodge'. Bearing in mind we had a 50kg mountain dog in tow, which we had had the courtesy to pre-inform the hotel, we had to negotiate a very narrow enclosed stairwell situated in this building a way behind the main hotel.

The externals of Lodge and subsequently the hall ways felt even more unloved, unkempt and in need of immediate maintenance than the main hotel. Climbing the stairs to our first-floor room there was an overpowering and overwhelming smell of mustiness that was trying to be suppressed and disguised by a plug-in air freshener in virtually, if not, every power point.

On entering our designated room, it felt dirty, the carpet was old, looked dirty and shabby. The bathroom was uninviting with what I can only describe as a burn mark or rust mark staining a large area. The room needed redecorating and the bed was far too soft. There was a small fridge provided which I could not bring myself to open, given the impression left on me so far. The TV was something out of last century, not that I wanted to stay in the room long enough to watch anything.

We spent the rest of the day travelling the Island with the intention of spending as little time in the accommodation as possible.

Breakfast was in the main hotel in a dining room that had camouflage nets hanging from the ceiling and was like the interior of a homage to Winston Churchill. Not really an inviting place to dine unless you’re a World War II Churchill worshipping, enthusiast. The breakfast was ok. However, the toast was stale and the butter had melted before we had sat down.

In other areas of the hotel lounges the light-coloured sofas showed up every speck of dirt making them not somewhere I wanted to perch my backside.

£130 for our room?!?! Please - that's extortion!!! Is that because we were a captive audience? I also question whether we may have got the worst room in the hotel because we dared to bring our dog with us. I say this because on checking out a door was open to a room in the ground floor was open and it looked far more inviting and modernised than ours. It even had tiles on the bathroom wall!

Oh and our room did not benefit from free wifi despite the very visible repeaters.

Definitely does not get the thumbs up from me. But I would recommend visiting the Isle of Skye!

Stayed: July 2017