All reviews drying room purpose built well equipped kitchen panoramic lounge great location great kitchen quiet lounge brilliant place couple of nights bunk beds first class other guests dorm yh sinks facilities storage
Reviewed 15 May 2017

Big modern hostel, cleverly designed with rooms stepped up the mountains slope. Comfortable and versatile building, with two separate lounges, a huge and well equipped kitchen, and a lovely dining area flooded by the evening sunshine. Even when it was full it didn't feel at all crowded. Excellent location at the junction of roads at the foot of Liathach, with the other major peaks close at hand. Very well run by friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
SYHAHostelling, Guest Relations Manager at Torridon Youth Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2017

Hi Sionascaig
Many thanks for your kind review and we hope to welcome you back soon,

Reviewed 13 April 2017

An excellent hostel in spectacular scenery. The very friendly staff really take care of you and are more flexible in their approach than some hostels. The rooms are good and the washing and drying facilities are spacious for a large hostel. The kitchen looks newly refitted and well equipped. Rohan and Em make sensational cakes.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
SYHAHostelling, Public Relations Manager at Torridon Youth Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2017

Hi Midge2005,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel following your recent stay with us.Its great to see you had a great time at a wonderful hostel and I will pass on your kind words to Mat and the hardworking team at Torridon,Its great to see you enjoyed the cakes.
We hope to welcome you back soon

Reviewed 5 April 2017

We arrived quite late at night (10.20pm) with minutes to spare from closing and the staff could not have been more welcoming and friendly. We had rang ahead to advise that we were running late having had a long day on An Teallach plus the drive down from Ullapool SYH. The location could not have been better and the buildings fit-in with the local landscape with excellent panoramic views across the Torridon hills and bay. All the facilities and bedrooms are first class. Dogs are allowed which is another bonus.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the washrooms are quieter
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
SYHAHostelling, Guest Relations Manager at Torridon Youth Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2017

Hi SkinnyJonny,
Thanks for your kind review following you recent stay at Torridon,Its great to see you had a good time and we hope to welcome you back soon,I will share your lovely comments with our hardworking team.

Reviewed 5 April 2017

Had a great stay at the Torridon Youth Hostel. It really couldn't be in a better position for the Mountains sitting to the North. A stroll up the road got us to the start of Liathach and the descent was almost to the front door.
In spite of this location advantage, there is no taking it easy from the staff. Service was superb and so friendly, and with the Hostel just at the end of the sleepy Winter season it made for a very relaxing time after the buzz of scrambling on the Pinnacles. Possibly the best SYHA Hostel I've stayed in for facilities and staff. Will use for sure next time I'm climbing in that area.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends

hi soularch,
Many thanks for taking the time to review our hostel following your recent stya with us,As you point out a stunning location and its great to see you had a good time.I will pass on your kind words to our hardworking staff and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 27 March 2017

I have been using English and Scottish youth hostels for 40 years and during that time I have stayed in many of them, some good and some bad. I have been a member of the SYHA for over 10 years but I live in England. I have just returned from spending six nights at the SYHA Torridon Youth Hostel, using it as my base while climbing the local mountains. I can say without hesitation that this is the BEST youth hostel that I have ever stayed in for the following reasons:
1. The location. Situated in a picturesque location beneath the towering cliffs of the mountain Liathach and looking out across Loch Torridon one is able to walk directly from the hostel onto the local hills.
2. The building layout. While it's not the most picturesque hostel that I've stayed in, what Torridon lacks in old world charm is more than made up for by it's practical, well thought out design. There's a decent sized reception area with a drying room and laundry leading off it. The dining room is large, well lit and has large windows giving views out towards the loch and the mountains. There are two lounges, the main one boasting a magnificent panoramic window which gives views out over the mountains to the south, and a smaller 'quiet lounge'. The dorms are spacious. The gents toilet / shower room that I used had four toilets, two showers and plenty of sinks. I'm not sure how many gents/ladies toilet blocks there are but I rarely saw anyone in the one I used so I'm assuming that there may be several ! The whole building is spacious and feels light and airy. It was spotlessly clean. The car park is a reasonable size and there is ample room to park nearby should it get full ( as I suspect happens at the weekend ).
3. The self catering kitchen was refurbished last year and is the best that I've ever used. There is plenty of space to store one's food - in both wall storage boxes and refrigerators. There are plenty of hobs and ovens, two large Dualit toasters and two powerful microwaves. There's plenty of food preparation space around the room perimeter and also in the central 'island'. Sometimes there can be a shortage of 'peripherals' such as sharp knives, colanders, sieves and measuring jugs in youth hostel kitchens so I usually bring my own with me. Not at Torridon - I've never seen such a well appointed kitchen !
4. The staff. What a great team ! I spoke to all four members during my stay. Without exception, I found them all to be welcoming, helpful, efficient and knowledgeable. They are a credit to the SYHA. They took an interest in me as a guest and nothing was too much trouble for them. I was particularly impressed by the fact that they didn't put all the guests staying on a particular night in the one room but spread them out so that there were fewer people in each room, thus ensuring a better night's sleep. In many hostels ( English and Scottish ) it seems to be the practice to jam all the guests in one room and leave the other rooms empty. I suspect that this is done because it cuts down on the cleaning. Not so at Torridon - here the comfort of the guests is put above the convenience of the staff !
5. The wifi reception is much better than in some hostels - I was a
able to receive it comfortably while sitting in the dining room.
6. The opening hours are, by YHA and SYHA standards, generous. Reception is open from 0800 to 1000 and 1700 to 2200. Guests are asked to vacate the hostel between 1030 and 1430 but after 1430 one can access all the facilities ( provided that you've already been booked in and been given the door code ). That said, on one wet day I returned to the hostel before 1430 and found that Em, the duty staff member, had opened the hostel earlier due to the poor weather and for the convenience of guests. And there was free lemon drizzle cake in the kitchen !
Fortunately, I still have to climb Liathach so I will be returning to Torridon in the not too distant future. If you want to sample the best of the SYHA, do yourself a favour and get up to this marvellous place. You won't be disappointed !

Room Tip: This is a youth hostel so you will be allocated a dorm, unless you have booked a separate room.
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo
SYHAHostelling, Public Relations Manager at Torridon Youth Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2017

Hi Russell C
Many thanks for your wonderful review, Its great to see you had an amazing time and I will pass on your wonderful comments to Mat and the team at Torridon who work tirelessly to ensure everyone has a great time.