“Ok for a night”
Review of Mackay's Hotel

Mackay's Hotel
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Strathpeffer
Reviewed 14 August 2017

Stayed here one night on our tour of the NC500. Hotel was ok....friendly reception.....room in the annexe ok...clean bedding and towels. Had dinner here...limited menu three/four choices......reasonable price.....only to be expected when all the hotels here are trying to make a living at what must once have been a lovely spa town. The beef roast I had was fine as was my husbands fish goujons. Staff friendly in restaurant and bar. Breakfast again was ok. Alright as a one night stop.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Debbie S, General Manager at Mackay's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2017

Dear Kathryn T,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay.

I am pleased to hear you found your room clean and the reception friendly, I hope you would consider returning for any future trips to the Highlands.

Reviewed 5 August 2017 via mobile

Found restaurant staff to be more interested in talking amongst themselves than serving the customers, no manners and not very helpful at all. Staff seemed to hang around in the extension lounge area which I found very intimidating when entering the building. To enter the extension building we regularly had to walk through a cloud of smoke from the staff, one female member of staff was sitting outside the door whilst I was trying to enter the building and continued sitting smoking and did not move out the way to let me get myself and luggage through the door, felt those staff really let the hotel down. The hotel is in need of upgrading also.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank Gail C
Debbie S, General Manager at Mackay's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2017

Dear Gail C,

I am sorry to hear that that you did not have an enjoyable stay. We receive many wonderful comments regarding our staff on a daily basis so I am surprised by your comments, nevertheless I take all complaints seriously and will investigate immediately.

The hotel is in need of upgrading and while we have completed many areas including reception, bar area and toilets, pool area and around 30 bedrooms this all takes time as much as we wish we could do it all at once it is not possible.

Reviewed 29 July 2017

Stayed at this hotel on a David Urquhart coach tour.
Friendly staff to welcome us, and look after us at mealtimes.
Accomodation: Our bedroom was light, clean, apparently recently re-decorated, and the bed was quite comfortable. One negative is that the electric shower in our room was a little tempremental, runnning the entire range from no flow at all, through cold, all the way up to slightly too hot... but with patience it was possible to get a decent wash
Food: they don't claim to Michelin starred, but it was tasty and warm, and enough of it. Service was occasionally a little slow but the food was always hot when it arrived
Other: the location is good (Strathpepper is a lovely little village), we didn't go to the entertainment but the local pipe band performed across the road from the hotel one evening - worth crossing the road to watch!
We didn't visit the spa and steam room but other guests gave glowing reports

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Debbie S, General Manager at Mackay's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2017

Dear tripadv461,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay, I am very pleased to hear you had a comfortable stay. I am sorry to hear you had a problems with your shower, we are happy to look at these things if we are told at the time as sometimes it is a case of
'it's easy when you know how' and could of been easily fixed.

I do hope you come and visit us again in the future.

Reviewed 22 July 2017

Stayed here on a self drive a few weeks ago. Nicely placed in a village which was famed as a Victorian/Edwardian spa. Welcome was great. Room was basic but absolutely fine for purpose, well serviced daily and situated in the annexe. We are both vegetarian and usually quite anxious about what might be provided. No worries here. All great and well enough, both breakfasts and dinners. Ne bother. Service was very good and helpful. Entertainment was available in their bar adjoining the hotel if you wanted it. Alternatively you could access other hotels that welcome non-residents so there was choice. All in all a great stay in a nice part of the world at a hotel where nothing seemed too much trouble. Thanks to Debbie and staff. Good stuff!! And great value for money too. Look forward to returning.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Debbie S, General Manager at Mackay's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2017

Dear Tony L,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review.

I am delighted to hear you had a great stay and that you look forward to returning, I will ensure to pass on your thanks to the staff.

I look forward to welcoming you on your return visit.

Reviewed 16 July 2017 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel on a David Urquhart coach tour. Couldnt fault the coach driver (Chel) very helpful guy. Hotel was clean and comfy, staff very helpful, food was good choice of menu that you selected at breakfast time. Helped yourself to breakfast cereals and juice then ordered cooked breakfast which came with toast and tea or coffee. Only thing i could fault was the restaurant staff seemed understaffed and didnt know where they were up to,suggest perhaps dividing tables between 2/3 staff if you have coach parties in. Other than this a very enjoyable holiday and hopyfully be back again someday. Thank you.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Debbie S, General Manager at Mackay's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2017

Dear Joyce,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay.

I very pleased to hear that you had a fabulous holiday and will hopefully be back, the staff will be delighted to hear you found the helpful as they work very hard to make your stay and enjoyable one.

I am sorry you felt the restaurant understaffed having worked the majority of the week myself I can assure this was not the case. We have a system in place which works very well for us, I am truly sorry if your service did not reflect that.

Debbie Scott

Also consider these accommodations in or near Strathpeffer
0.2 km away
0.1 km away
Strathpeffer Hotel
Strathpeffer Hotel
#6 of 7 in Strathpeffer

Been to Mackay's Hotel? Share your experiences!