All reviewsdavid urquharttravel lodgeswimming poolleisure facilitiessauna and steam roomsmall gymeasy breaksboth nightslong weekendstaff were friendly and efficientexcellent value for moneycoach driverpiping hotweekend breakbar pricestwo night stayevening entertainment
Reviewed 5 August 2017 via mobile

Found restaurant staff to be more interested in talking amongst themselves than serving the customers, no manners and not very helpful at all. Staff seemed to hang around in the extension lounge area which I found very intimidating when entering the building. To enter the extension building we regularly had to walk through a cloud of smoke from the staff, one female member of staff was sitting outside the door whilst I was trying to enter the building and continued sitting smoking and did not move out the way to let me get myself and luggage through the door, felt those staff really let the hotel down. The hotel is in need of upgrading also.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank Gail C
Debbie S, General Manager at Mackay's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2017

Dear Gail C,

I am sorry to hear that that you did not have an enjoyable stay. We receive many wonderful comments regarding our staff on a daily basis so I am surprised by your comments, nevertheless I take all complaints seriously and will investigate immediately.

The hotel is in need of upgrading and while we have completed many areas including reception, bar area and toilets, pool area and around 30 bedrooms this all takes time as much as we wish we could do it all at once it is not possible.

Reviewed 29 July 2017

Stayed at this hotel on a David Urquhart coach tour.
Friendly staff to welcome us, and look after us at mealtimes.
Accomodation: Our bedroom was light, clean, apparently recently re-decorated, and the bed was quite comfortable. One negative is that the electric shower in our room was a little tempremental, runnning the entire range from no flow at all, through cold, all the way up to slightly too hot... but with patience it was possible to get a decent wash
Food: they don't claim to Michelin starred, but it was tasty and warm, and enough of it. Service was occasionally a little slow but the food was always hot when it arrived
Other: the location is good (Strathpepper is a lovely little village), we didn't go to the entertainment but the local pipe band performed across the road from the hotel one evening - worth crossing the road to watch!
We didn't visit the spa and steam room but other guests gave glowing reports

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Debbie S, General Manager at Mackay's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2017

Dear tripadv461,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay, I am very pleased to hear you had a comfortable stay. I am sorry to hear you had a problems with your shower, we are happy to look at these things if we are told at the time as sometimes it is a case of
'it's easy when you know how' and could of been easily fixed.

I do hope you come and visit us again in the future.

Reviewed 22 July 2017

Stayed here on a self drive a few weeks ago. Nicely placed in a village which was famed as a Victorian/Edwardian spa. Welcome was great. Room was basic but absolutely fine for purpose, well serviced daily and situated in the annexe. We are both vegetarian and usually quite anxious about what might be provided. No worries here. All great and well enough, both breakfasts and dinners. Ne bother. Service was very good and helpful. Entertainment was available in their bar adjoining the hotel if you wanted it. Alternatively you could access other hotels that welcome non-residents so there was choice. All in all a great stay in a nice part of the world at a hotel where nothing seemed too much trouble. Thanks to Debbie and staff. Good stuff!! And great value for money too. Look forward to returning.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Debbie S, General Manager at Mackay's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2017

Dear Tony L,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review.

I am delighted to hear you had a great stay and that you look forward to returning, I will ensure to pass on your thanks to the staff.

I look forward to welcoming you on your return visit.

Reviewed 16 July 2017 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel on a David Urquhart coach tour. Couldnt fault the coach driver (Chel) very helpful guy. Hotel was clean and comfy, staff very helpful, food was good choice of menu that you selected at breakfast time. Helped yourself to breakfast cereals and juice then ordered cooked breakfast which came with toast and tea or coffee. Only thing i could fault was the restaurant staff seemed understaffed and didnt know where they were up to,suggest perhaps dividing tables between 2/3 staff if you have coach parties in. Other than this a very enjoyable holiday and hopyfully be back again someday. Thank you.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Debbie S, General Manager at Mackay's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2017

Dear Joyce,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay.

I very pleased to hear that you had a fabulous holiday and will hopefully be back, the staff will be delighted to hear you found the helpful as they work very hard to make your stay and enjoyable one.

I am sorry you felt the restaurant understaffed having worked the majority of the week myself I can assure this was not the case. We have a system in place which works very well for us, I am truly sorry if your service did not reflect that.

Reviewed 13 July 2017 via mobile

We spent a night in the Lodging House with a big family group. The rooms were clean, but some beds were far more comfortable than others.
The public bar was a highlight. Live music on a Tuesday night, and a lively but unthreatening atmosphere. The friendly staff allowed our 12yo son to stay with us until quite late.
Dinner in the restaurant was good plain fare, the wine list very limited and the service a little harried and slow, even though they were not particularly busy.
The included breakfast was reasonably good, nothing to get too excited about. Again, the service was slow.
A nice enough experience but we won't be rushing back.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Debbie S, General Manager at Mackay's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2017

Dear MezF,

Thank your for taking to write a review of your stay.

I am sorry to hear you felt some of the beds not so comfortable we have recently replaced the majority of our mattresses leaving only the ones which do not require changing, this is of course something we check on a regular basis. A mattress of course is a personal preference to each individual guest and I appreciate not everyone will like the brand and style we use.

We do not advertise anything other than plain fair in our restaurant which gets lots of great comments along with the service, I do apologise this was not the experience you received during your visit.

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our entertainment and found the rooms clean, I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip.