“Terrible place, save your money and go some where else” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cromarty Arms Inn

Cromarty Arms Inn
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cromarty
Cromarty Arms Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Cromarty
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Terrible place, save your money and go some where else”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012

I came to Cromarty with some friends only on the off chance as we were heading to Dornoch.
Cromarty itself it a beautiful village and when we seen this pub opposite Hugh millers cottage, we thought if it matched the rest of the village it would be amazing.

However, the inside of the pub looks like an 80's throw back, the décor is terrible, the owners clearly have no taste or no sense of style or they simply don't care. There are big TV's everywhere switched on, which was clearly for the big fat owner to watch as he clearly had no interest in anyone coming and going in his pub and did not engage to us in anyway until we bought something from him, but even then it felt like we were bothering his TV time.

It was fairly empty inside and I would expect the very least a friendly hello, but nothing. So we sat down and looked through the menu, while a noisy child was playing and crying because he wasn't getting his own way which turned out to be the owners grandchild. There was no consideration to the eating customers as the mother read the paper and the owner watched the TV. (pubs are not playgrounds for children)

A very pleasant, polite and helpful young girl, who obviously had more understanding of customer care than the owners did, took our order and brought our soft drinks over, I think her name was Zoe.

The food came out quite quickly which we were pleased about, only because we wished we never ordered and wanted to get out of this noisy outdated uncaring pub.
The food said fresh and home made, home made it was, but it was clearly out a tin, packet or frozen, where the fresh bit was in our meals is anyone's guess. I wasn't expecting 5 star food from a pub, but I did hope for some good pub food.

We eventually found out that the food was made by the owners wife, only because she was now out the kitchen and chasing after the noisy grandchild who was spreading toys all over the place. The owners wife obviously had done her best, but it was obvious she clearly isn't a trained chef in any way.

I had the "local caught fresh fish" after receiving the obviously frozen deep fried fish in batter I didn't know whether or laugh or cry, however, it was ok, but the fresh salad was a joke, my 10 year old daughter could be more creative than what was assembled on my plate.

Needless to say we never finished our very poor meals, and decided to leave this very out dated, uncaring pub.

I'm not leaving my comment out of spite, but in hope that the owners might take note as they have a little gem of a pub which is just being left to waste. I would recommend the owner to do a customer care course of some kind as he clearly is trying to run a pub in an industry he knows nothing about, his wife should do a catering class and his daughter should take the child to the local play area.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
12 Thank peter m

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

bathroom filthy. traces of bodily fluids on toilet lid and cistern. Think it was shared with the owners as there were toiletries and used soap in the bath.The bedcovers felt and smelled as if they hadnt been changed since previous occupants and the spare quilt and cover for the pull out bed smelled of vomit.It was kept in the wardrobe so it stank and there was nowhere to hang your clothes. Breakfast was eaten while the hoovering and disinfecting of the bar went on. Owners made little effort to communicate with us especially the man. We actually felt like an inconvenience to them.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank 109charity

Travellers are raving about these Cromarty hotels

Dunfermline, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2012

Unfriendly, unhelpful, surly, unwelcoming staff. Not in the least interested in creating a positive impression for customers. The concept of ‘customer care’ is obviously totally alien. Sadly this typifies too many pubs, bars and hotels in rural Scotland. Pity any overseas tourists who have the misfortune to step into this bar.

The sooner places like this go to the wall, the better it will be for the tourist industry and Scotland’s reputation internationally as a tourist destination.

A great shame really, because Cromarty is just THE most delightful wee village - very picturesque.

Room Tip: Avoid altogther is the best tip I can come up with!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank HongKongFace
Grantown-on-Spey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2011

We recently spent 2 great evenings at this very friendly & traditional Inn. Everything & more than you would expect from your 'Local'. Very friendly & helpfull staff , a great atmosphere & we really enjoyed our bar meal , plenty of choice & v well cooked. Well worth a visit if you're in the area & our meal was much better than one we had at a nearby rather overpriced & dull hotel in Cromarty.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank fitology
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2011

The Inn was busy when I arrived, just after 7pm on a thursday evening. This meant I had to wait to be looked after, but looked after I was!
If you are looking for clinical lines, symetrical rooms & service then don't come here. The bar is eclectic, the rooms the same & just what is needed after a long drive.
The bar was well stocked, good choice of beers, ales & spirits.
The menu was traditional, diverse & as I sat enjoying my free pint (I was not having breakfast) I saw plate after plate of high quality, substantial meals coming out of the small kitchen. The lady (who I call a young girl) cooking showed some real talent in keeping on top of the food (i estimet at least 30 people dining + me) & I did not have to wait too long for my EXCELLENT beef olives (be warned , the food is not Nouvelle Cuisine portions & I am a big guy) which I could not finish. I did not have breakfast but teh people opposite me were ordering Full Scottish Breakfasts but did not want black pudding (did notget this in the Premier Inn in Livingston that morning).
The single room I had was greta, nice mix of homely items, clean towels & linen & even a ticking alarm clock! Majestic.
I would advise all to try this place, but don't walk in expecting a Premier Inn. The shared bathroom was clean, well stocked with toiletries & had ample hot water.

Room Tip: The limited amount of rooms means book early.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cromarty
10.4 km away
25.3 km away
Tulloch Castle Hotel
Tulloch Castle Hotel
#2 of 3 in Dingwall

Been to Cromarty Arms Inn? Share your experiences!