“Glad We Chose It!”

Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 27 September 2018

Sutherland House is a small restaurant in Dornoch centre. The service and food are excellent. We particularly enjoyed chatting with our server. I was going to order beef, but the young gentleman at the next table said I must have the pheasant! Unfortunately, it was a bit tough (for my taste) but the rest of the meal was great. To give you a sense of the Scottish people, this same man treated us and a man at the bar to a glass of whisky. A really homey place with great cooking!

Reviewed 26 September 2018 via mobile

Very welcoming surroundings, service was good. Food very traditional served in a traditional way. Decent portions, but hard to excuse the lumpy mash. It was a double hit for me as I had haggis neeps and tatties for starters followed by pheasant and more of the same mash for main. Must have come out the same pot!!! Such a shame, as the previous reviews set such a high expectation. Our usual Wine choice was Sauvignon Blanc. Our choice was the house option but was too sweet for our taste. Turned out to be an OK night out, but not raving like other reviewers.

Reviewed 24 September 2018 via mobile

Unfortunately I never got the chance to taste the food. My party left due to the awful rudeness of the female manager. The size of our party changed last minute due to a family emergency. This was politely explained to the front of house lady ( I’m guessing the manager). Her attitude towards us was appalling, you could hear her clearly moaning about us in the background, her huffing and complaining was heard throughout the dining area. The poor waitresses looked at us in sympathy as if they were used to her behaving like this. We then politely explained to the waitresses that we felt very uncomfortable and would prefer to leave. I have never in my life being treated like this and I would highly recommend taking your custom elsewhere. There are limited places to eat in Dornoch over the high tourist season ( I imagine this could be why the very rude manager thinks she can get away with treating customers so appallingly) Still hungry, we decided to get takeaway from the local Chinese restaurant which I would recommend as the food was tasty and service was with a smile.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed 23 September 2018 via mobile

The restaurant very kindly managed to fit us in at short notice for an early dinner. We were greeted by exceptionally friendly staff, a fantastic menu with a choice to suit everyone and excellent food and wine. We chatted to the very friendly owner after our meal which was so nice and really gave it a family-friendly feel. All in all a superb experience; we can’t wait to go back!

Reviewed 20 September 2018

Four golfers and we all enjoyed it. Perhaps our best meal on a 11 day trip. The ladies that greeted and waited on us were delightful.