“Surprisingly good this time”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Seamill Hydro

Seamill Hydro
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in West Kilbride
Hampshire, UK
“Surprisingly good this time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

I've stayed here many times before and to be honest, I've never had a bad time, but it's never been great either. However, this last weekend was just brilliant so I felt it only fair to share my experience.

From the nicely refurbished room with huge bed, great tv and lovely bathroom facilities, overlooking the sea (what a view of Arran, the snow topped mountains were breathtaking) to the unbelievably helpful staff at our function, the weekend was just brilliant.

Having been to many weddings and parties and other functions here over the years, something drastic has changed in terms of the "function" food too. Previously we have had very poor experience with functions in terms of the food, with dry, bland, badly cooked items; but this weekend's was like night and day - the food was fresh, perfectly cooked (in most cases) and delicious. I hold back my praise for the desserts tho - the sticky toffee pudding had obviously been microwaved which was a disappointment - perhaps the people preparing the desserts are not putting as much effort in as the chefs preparing the mains and starters - this is something which you should look at, since the dessert is obviously the last thing people remember and should reflect the standard of the rest of the food.

The staff really deserve high praise for the organisation of the function too, since they had everything under control and well organised. Big thanks to Martin for being probably the most sensible, pragmatic and organised of managers! Without him, the function wouldn't have been half as good!

There are two other items of criticism I would have (apart from the desserts) which I think are constructive - 1. I did see some of the other un-refurbished rooms and while they're perfectly adequate, they really have seen better days. Interesting that the hotel is currently undergoing some renovation work at the moment to create a new Orangery (which will undoubtedly be lovely) but I wonder if the remaining bedrooms will get the makeover they so badly need? Surely this is where the majority of profit is made in the hotel industry?
and 2. My lovely room was right above the Pladda Lounge Bar and on Friday night when I went to have an early night (at 11.30pm, not so early really!) there was a pub quiz going on below, and with the power and volume of the sound system and music, I could hear everything far too clearly in my room. I could not sleep until it finished at 12 (which was a blessed relief from the booming bass notes and ridiculous commentary from the host), which I thought was far too late, when there are clearly sound-proofing issues with the rooms above.

Anyway, would highly recommend this hotel for an event, but ask for a refurbished room on the second floor, or away from the Pladda Bar if you're staying!

Room Tip: Second floor sea view rooms should be quieter if you want an early night. Ask for a refurbished roo...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Le_Clara

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
Carlisle, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

My husband booked a weekend at the Seamill Hydro as a surprise birthday present. To add to my surprise when we got there, my daughters and their husbands were also there which made the weekend even better.

The rooms overlooked the sea and we had wonderful views of Arran - when the weather allowed us. We had refurbished rooms which were excellent. The breakfasts were excellent and the staff very attentive. The pool was lovely.

There is some building work going on at the moment but it didn't affect our stay at all and I am sure having seen the plans which were displayed, that all the inconvenience that they are having to cope with will all be worthwhile.

I would certainly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Seaview rooms have a wonderful view of the Firth of Clyde looking over towards Arran.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

I received a voucher for the hotel for Christmas and managed to get a room booked although did have to pay an extra £15 for a twin room (was there with a friend). The room had not been upgraded which was a little disappointing and there was work going on under our first floor window (restaurant extention I think). We had access to the spa which was good although the jacuzzi was cold! We booked into the Aura restaurant and the staff there were extremely attentive and helpful. The food was stunning, We shared our starters which were lovely. I then had the Moules et Frites and my friend had the gratin of smoked haddock. Both meals were absolutely delicious! It was the highlight of our stay. Neither of us slept very well and I put this down to high winds. It was very noisy due to this so no a restful sleep.
Overall a lovely hotel and would like to stay in a refurbished room the next time.

Room Tip: Try and ensure you have a refurbished room. Definitely book into the Aura Restaurant, it was gorgeo...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Ayrshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

I would like to say thankyou to Amanda who recommended the cakes and served us with a lovely manner and smile, we will be back

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

My husband and I booked in to the Seamill Hydro for a couple of night for my cousins wedding. I knew that this hotel had a great reputation as I grew up in the local area, but have since moved away, we were not disappointed.

When we arrived we were made to feel very welcome, when booking our room, my husband had forgotten to state that I am gluten intollerant, so when we mentioned this at reception they said it wouldn't be a problem. The room we got was lovely, clean and spacious, no sea view, but that wasn't something we were bothered about, nor had requested.

When we went down to have dinner that evening we explained about my gluten intolerance, we were again assured that this wouldn't be a problem. Our server consulted with the chefs in the kitchen, who advised what I could and could not eat, which still left plenty of choice.

Breakfast the next morning was also very good, it was a buffet style event with plenty of gluten free choices for me, and I was also able to request gluten free toast. We made use of the hotel pool, sauna and jacuzzi on the morning before the wedding, which was really lovely and a great way to relax before the wedding itself. I was also able to book in to get my nails done at very short notice.

The venue is quite famous in the local area for weddings, and the views of the Firth of Clyde make it an ideal back drop for this sort of event.

All in all this is a great hotel, with lovely friendly staff, excellent food and excellent facilities. I would highly recommend a stay at the Seamill Hydro.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
23.7 km away
Glenisle Hotel
Glenisle Hotel
#1 of 1 in Lamlash

Been to Seamill Hydro? Share your experiences!