“Beautiful sea views & great vegetarian selection”

Halfway House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Ballygally
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

We were invited for lunch and we’re unsure at first as it seemed a bit old fashioned inside. But, the staff were excellent, such service with a smile & good humour, the atmosphere was cosy with the open fire & the food was very good indeed. I was impressed by the vegetarian selection where I can usually be presented with a couple of options max but I was really spoiled for choice here. I would definitely recommend and we will be back during our next trip to NI.

Date of visit: September 2018

Reviewed 28 September 2018

Good sea views, very accommodating and warm welcome. A hearty breakfast and very reasonable. Yes the place is dated but the welcome and hospitality far out-ways the decor!

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed 18 August 2018 via mobile

My husband and I booked last minute and hotel staff were more than happy to accommodate us. On arrival we enjoyed ample parking and a seamless check in. Davey had mentioned on the phone that they had a lovely restaurant on site. That was an understatement. The menu was extensive with plenty of variety. Everything we ordered was deliscious. Portions were generous and the service was prompt. The staff were super friendly and very helpful. Will return when back in the area.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed 6 August 2018 via mobile

I have stayed here on numerous occasions including January of this year also I return always to The Halfway House Hotel right out on the coast
Everything about this hotel is really great.
Bedrooms are very comfortable and spotless always
I did stay here also in an extremely cold January and the heat in the rooms was so cosy warm and welcoming.
I have dined in the restaurant on numerous occasions and food is amazing. Cooked to perfection always. So much choice available on the menu also very good value .
I recommend it very highly you will not be disappointed be it for a meal or a stay.
Staff are very welcoming and so friendly. Attention to detail and so accommodating always
Views from the dining room are beautiful even in winter.
I always return when I visit The Antrim coast and will do again.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed 1 July 2018

The halfway house is one of those restaurants that you cant really complain about but neither can you give it the praise that it strives hard to get.

Set in a lovely location overlooking the water, it makes an ideal stop if you are going along the coast road and dont want to spend your money in the more expensive Ballygally Hotel a few minutes down the road from it.

The staff are very friendly and efficient and there can be no complaints about them.

The menu is a bit 1980's with nothing that really leaps of it and gets your mouth watering but again for many people that is what they are looking for.

The food itself I have found adequate but for me I find it is a little bit tasteless and for some things it feels like they have been prepared too long in advance and simply microwaved or stuck in the deep fat fryer. The choice of vegetable tends to be very 1980s with it usually being carrots and peas. There is no reason that additional vegetable couldn't be available even if they don't want to get too fancy....cabbage, cauliflower, asparagus spring to mind. Some of their simpler dishes are also a little on the tasteless side of things. Chicken Goujons being the prime example. These are simple to make fresh and to turn them out nicely seasoned and tasty. However the halfway's look like they have come from a frozen food store...properly cooked but nothing to write home about.

I would love to be more glowing about the place because we do eat it reasonable often but it it upped its game slightly it would be a place we ate in all the time.

Date of visit: June 2018