Booked with a Groupon deal and took the deluxe room upgrade, although we didn't get the daily fruit and chocs with the upgrade as mentioned on the hotel website - guess you have to forego something with a Groupon deal. Very spacious, clean room with excellent free WiFi. Two very comfortable chairs, desk, very large bed (though maybe a touch too firm for our liking) with good quality sheets and blanket. Not the usual cheap synthetic rubbish duvets that seems the norm in a lot of hotels these days. There was a good sized LED TV with all free view channels.
Bathroom was clean and spacious, but the bathroom suite was a rather dated coloured affair. The lighting in the bathroom was rather poor and the mirror was rather small with no surround lighting - not ideal for doing make-up or shaving.
Coffee lounge has wonderful view over Chessel beach. Great for morning coffee and afternoon tea. But the service was not the quickest, however it does gives more time to enjoy the wonderful view. Choice of cereal at breakfast is a bit limited, but the cooked breakfast ingredients were of good quality.
The very helpful person on reception supplied a good detailed map showing some of the very nice walks all over the island. However, if you do decide to go exploring, watch where you tread, there is dog mess everywhere. Portland dog walkers have some very inconsiderate types amongst their number.
In general this is a nice hotel, with very helpful friendly staff . But little things like a bedside lamp not working, a toilet seat that is loose, the toilet roll holder being out of reach behind you when using the loo, a bath panel that is coming away and a shower that doesn’t switch back to tap operation all smack of a lack of attention to detail. These are all things that any regular hotel user will be familiar with in many hotels, but is it really that hard to get it right?
With the above in mind, at rack rate, this hotel is far too expensive, but with an offer or special deal, it’s not bad value and well worth considering.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set on the summit of the Isle of Portland with panoramic sea and coastal views from our Bar, Bistro and Coffee shop over Chesil Beach, the World Heritage coast and the 2012 Olympic sailing venue of Portland Harbour and Lyme Bay. 5 miles from the seaside town of Weymouth. 66 en suite bedrooms with a choice of Classic or Deluxe. Family rooms and easy access rooms available. On-site Gym, meeting rooms and business services. Special interest breaks, birdwatching, flora & fauna etc. Ample free parking. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Wotif.com, Expedia APAC, Hooroo Pty Ltd, Hotels.com, Odigeo, lastminute.com.au, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Heights Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Heights Hotel Isle Of Portland
- The Heights Hotel Isle Of Portland, Dorset