“Nice stoll at the end of Dorset ”

Portland Bill Lighthouse
More attraction details
Owner description: For nearly 300 years a lighthouse has stood on Portland Bill to guide vessels heading for Portland and Weymouth and acting as a waymark for vessels navigating in the English Channel. A red sector light warns mariners of the hazardous Shambles Bank lying three miles offshore. Tours of Portland Bill Lighthouse are organised by AMH Support Services under licence from the Corporation of Trinity House.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Where the sea crashes into the tip of Dorset, this little headland is a great place to sit and take it all in, admire the views or stoll along the cliffs.

Good number of seabirds, I'm told there's a decent chance of spotting dolphins or seals, though I never have!

Has an almost lands end feel but without the crowds or more importantly the fences and ropes. Here you can clamber on the rocks and find your own place to sit and enjoy the surroundings. We went in Easter holidays, the car park was nigh on full but there was loads of space to enjoy the area.

Only negative is the parking at £1 for an hour is pretty steep, but it's only a niggle, I'd still go back.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,176)
All reviews
in 31 reviews
"gift shop"
in 31 reviews

Reviewed 4 April 2018

We had a fleeting visit to see the lighthouse, it looks nice from the outside but we didn't go inside, lovely views.

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

The whole reason for our visit was to re-inact a picture that was took in 1977 (I know ages ago!!) when I lived in Weymouth & we had family visit and as a babe in my grandparents arms we had a picture taken which I love.
Much to my upset this sign is no longer there & apparently hasn’t been for years. Think it’s a missed opportunity for Lighthouse as people could make a donation. The lady in the museum was lovely & helpful. Cafe area was nice - could do with more seating but maybe during the summer there is.
But don’t go if you want to see the White Sign post !!!

Reviewed 2 April 2018

Came here on Easter Sunday for a tour of the lighthouse. We managed to get onto the next tour so didn't wait long. The price was reasonable at £7 per person. After a look round the visitor centre we went up the lighthouse via the tour. The tour guide was very friendly and answered all questions and came up with some interesting facts.
The walk up the stairs was not for the faint hearted especially if you are afraid of heights.
The view from the top was very impressive and we spent plenty of time looking at the lamp and the view.
They are going to be removing the current lamp system next year for a smaller modern system so I would suggest you visit before that happens.
Overall I was very pleased with my visit and will return in the future.