All reviews coach trip snooker room tea and coffee bit dated enjoyable stay bed and breakfast north devon evening entertainment fantastic views
Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

How this hotel is even allowed to be open is beyond me in this day and age. Even though the lady on reception was welcoming; it took us 5 minutes to know we would not be staying here.

1970's decor throughout. Items in rooms which looked like they had come from a charity shop. The dirtiest bathroom we have ever seen.

It is such ashame as they have the most amazing location with the view of the whole of the bay.

The hotel needs knocking down and rebuilding with a complete refresh.

We were refunded £73 back; but it is absolutely shocking that it's even allowed to be open for business but to have the cheek to charge £73! OMG!

Stayed: August 2017
2  Thank JoyandSadness
Reviewed 8 August 2017

This hotel is budget ..and tired (I believe it is being converted into flats later in the year) but the rooms were clean, the staff friendly and helpful and it had a great location overlooking the sea and only 5 minutes walk down the hill to Woolacombe. Buses go from outside the hotel if you want to visit Ilfracombe or other local sites. There is a large swimming pool, table tennis and pool to keep the kids entertained and they do live music in the bar area. Would recommend.

Room Tip: ask for a balcony room.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lucy S
Reviewed 7 August 2017 via mobile

Visited the royal from the 31st of July for 4 nights and stayed in a family room with my 3 grandchildren. I paid £400 for bed and breakfast and wasn't expecting our holiday to be as good as it was. The room was spacious, clean, plenty of storage and serviced everyday. The rest of the hotel was spacious and plenty of places to relax. The pool was good but shame about the changing rooms. The food was great and plenty of it. Overall we had an enjoyable week and once you look past the dated decor you'll realise that actually it's not a bad hotel.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Helen I
Reviewed 5 August 2017

We stayed at the Royal Hotel for 4 nights, arriving early they told us the earliest we could check in would be 3pm.
After checking in we went to our first room, it had a damp musky smell, rotten wooden windows that I was scared to open a walk in wardrobe with no door on, a TV from the 1990's an uneven floor and a medieval bathroom where I could not control the temperature of the shower and it burnt me. We went to reception to see if we where able to change rooms, staff where ever so friendly and understanding and allowed us to change rooms. The new room had a balcony with a view of the fields opposite and the sea, much nicer plastic windows, a shower that did not cook me, an even floor and was much more nicely decorated. Apart from also having a TV from the 1990's with 6 channels, the second room was so much better than the first and this room made our stay more enjoyable.
The hotel it's self is in a really good position with a 5-10 minute walk to woolacombe, is on a couple of bus routes and has a stables opposite. The hotel also has rooms for playing snooker, a bar with entertainment, a reading/games/tv room with a modern tv and a pool. I counted over 5 pianos in the Royal Hotel. We also tried the pool which was a good way to spend a rainy day. However the cold, dismal changing rooms have most definitely seen better days. The pool was clean and warm.
Rooms where cleaned daily and breakfast was really nice every day, however they served the same things every day. The day we had evening meal was nice and I wished we booked it all week.
The Royal Hotel is dated and could do with decorating as it is stuck in the late 90's/ early 200's. This hotel has a lot of potential, however we where told that the hotel is closing until 2019 to be done up. I would love to return when the refurbishment is complete.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank LittleTraveller1399
Reviewed 2 August 2017 via mobile

Stayed here for three nights with my partner and our daughter. Although the hotel is dated and does need attention, our room was clean and the hotel facilities were great. Indoor swimming pool was very much enjoyed by my daughter and the Buffett breakfast was 5 star!! Friendly staff & amazing views. Can't wait to return!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family