“Great place to visit, bistro and shop under one roof..”

Bickleigh Mill Bistro Restaurant and Bar
Ranked #8 of 88 Restaurants in Tiverton
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Bickleigh Mill Bistro, Bar & Gift Shop is set in an 18th Century Mill, with working water wheel. Situated adjacent to the beautiful Exe Valley Way. Enjoy your visit in our beautiful riverside surroundings, where you can shop, dine and relax. Set in the Old Mill House, our restaurant has such a warm and traditional atmosphere that it makes you feel at home as soon as you walk through the door. Log fires during the winter months and views of the waterside gardens and mill wheel add something special to any occasion. Whether it’s an intimate dinner for two, a celebratory party for friends and family or a simple snack lunch, our menu will fit the bill. Open seven days a week, serving lunch everyday and evening meals Fri and Sat. Dog friendly section of the restaurant available - booking advisable for this area during busy times.
Reviewed 25 February 2018

Excellent little place. Bistro is great and has some delightful food..especially the homemade cakes! The shop is spread over 3 floors..lovely garden with peacocks too.

Kim S, Owner at Bickleigh Mill Bistro Restaurant and Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2018

Thank you for your kind review. Pleased that we can continue to produce homemade food despite how busy we can be in an age when convenience food seems to be the norm. Most customers describe the shop as an Alladins cave with a choice of gifts that many would struggle to match. We look forward to welcoming you again

Reviewed 29 January 2018

I thought I would take a trip down memory lane last week and take my wife to lunch at Bickleigh Mill. I had been there previously with my late parents almost 20 years ago and it was delightful on every level.

On arrival it looked as I remembered it. I've read a lot of the reviews here and some of the criticisms have been centred around the service. We could not fault the service it was absolutely impeccable. My wife is in a Power Wheelchair and they could not have done enough to make her feel welcome and valued.

There are a lot of establishments who could take a leaf out of your teams book. Nothing was too much trouble which is why I was so sad about the food. We'd looked at several local menus ( we moved here nearly a year ago) and this menu seemed the most appetising. We ordered from the main menu because weren't told about the specials board.

My wife had the Chicken Liver Parfait which was fine for a pre-made foodservice pâte followed by the Salmon which she described a dried out and lukewarm. She did however, say the salsa beneath it was delicious and saved the day.

I had the home cooked spiced pork... This promised pork and apples and horseradish bound with mayonnaise. I could only taste the mayonnaise. It totally over shadowed the whole dish sadly. You could see the finely diced 'granny smith' apple and the pork but none of the flavours came through at all, just the clawing mayo. Mine certainly did not have horseradish in it either.

I then had the slow cooked shoulder of pork, beautifully cooked but drowned in the 'richest of gravy' I LOVE gravy, I am happy for any meal of this ilk to be drowning in gravy but this gravy ruined my entire meal. It was like eating mouthfuls of reduced down demi-glace powder. There was no other seasoning in it. I ate the pork, but simply couldn't eat the potatoes or stuffing because of the intense saltiness.

I ate the cauliflower and broccoli although they were both terribly overdone ( I understand that you have to cater for people who don't like al dente vegetables) so I left the carrots and red cabbage because I really couldn't face them.

We decided not to have anything further to eat and got the bill. The only highlights for me very sadly was the chutney and the homemade granary bread which was absolutely delicious.

Oh and the Orangina which you don't often see in restaurants. It saved the shining hour and helped get rid of the taste of salt. As I left I saw the specials board. Oh how I wish I'd seen it before.... I'm sad to have to write this because 20 years ago it was a completely different story and a happy and memorable experience. I am just hoping it was just a bad day.

Kim S, Owner at Bickleigh Mill Bistro Restaurant and Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2018

Thank you for your detailed review which will help us discuss your experience with our staff.I was delighted to read about the positive comments you made regarding our staff and will certainly be passing on your praise.

I was equally disappointed to see that your impression of our food was somewhat less. Our reputation has been built on the preparation, production and service of homemade food to a high standard, well beyond the mass manufactured fodder found in so many establishments.
Your comments left me under no illusion that we had failed in this instance for which I apologise. The parfait is homemade ,the sauces derived from our own homemade demi glace appear to have been reduced too much because very little or no salt is added and in all the fourteen years we have been running our business I have never heard customers say the vegetables were over cooked.(possibly the opposite) I appreciate your comments and will use this in my discussions with my team

Reviewed 22 January 2018 via mobile

Loved the burger on hash brown and ciabatta with sweet and sour chill sauce. Deliciously fresh salad freshly prepared(no nasty 'leaves') and tasty chips. Followed by sharing a choc roulade with berries and cream - very indulgent. Highly recommended as the beet battered cod for a serious thumbs up too. Definitely going to visit for an evening meal soon folks. The shop attached has an enormous range, especially for pressies buying. Am revisiting that too - soon.

Kim S, Owner at Bickleigh Mill Bistro Restaurant and Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2018

Thanks for your great review..We had a tasting of the burger before service and I have to say we were really happy with it and I'm glad you agree.Not sure if it's your cup of tea but we are experimenting with a vegetarian burger which is going down really well.Look forward to seeing you on your evening visit.

Reviewed 14 January 2018

We visited the Mill restaurant on the evening of the 12 Jan 2018. The Quality, Choices available, Presentation and value for money were considered exceptional. The staff courteous, professional and efficient To that extent we revisited the Mill with our extended family the following lunchtime. Our conclusions of the previous evening were fully justified. All of the family members were staggered by all the facets highlighted above which they all considered were correct. Additionally one of our members being a Vegetarian was offered four main meal choices plus a vegan dish.
As a retired Food inspector with 35 years experience I consider I am well qualified to recommend this premises to any person/s who expects high quality at a very affordable price
John Lodge MRSH

Kim S, Owner at Bickleigh Mill Bistro Restaurant and Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2018

We really appreciate your positive comments particularly from someone with the experience you have in our industry. We continue to do our best,innovate and rely on the feedback from our customers to improve and go that extra mile. Thanks again

Reviewed 9 January 2018

Easy to find and park, if travelling from Tiverton immediately over the river bridge in Bickleigh keep left. We found the staff really helpful and recommend choosing from the specials board with good value honest food. We had roast pork with all the trimmings including lots of fresh veg cooked to perfection. Some lovely walks by the river and the mill shop has lots of unusual things to buy. We particularly liked the hedgehog draught excluder and the good quality children's toys.

Kim S, Owner at Bickleigh Mill Bistro Restaurant and Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2018

Great to read your kind review which perked up our spirits no end during the dark days of January! All our dishes are produced on the premises whether it be fresh bread or sauces that accompany main courses. We have built our reputation on the friendliness of our service and the quality of our food and comments like these give us confidence that the effort is all worthwhile. Thanks again and Happy New Year!